Sign in to follow this  
Paolo's Circus Story

A Greasy Lake Christmas: or how I learned to stop worrying about whether it's too early and decided to click Submit

Happy Christmas everyone.  I hope this isn't too late for you, Daisey.

1904243881_KittenRecitalbyReichert.thumb.jpg.c4da3fba602acb3d86848ea437566ec4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

oh Rachel

there is not much time or energy to enjoy the lead up to Christmas when your a shop keeper

i hope most of your customers were polite and remembered to wish you a merry Christmas 

its important people still go to the shops to shop and don't do everything sitting on their arses in front of their PC

i hope you have good days off now and yay ! don't have to go back to the boxing day sales, but then the new year sales

the lady that served us at the supermarket yesterday was so nice - but tired

i hope you can rest up now and have some 'me time'

Merry Christmas 

love your (temporarily on hiatis) shop assistant sister from the bottom of the world

Nicky

Well everywhere in town closed early except for us because we’re a pharmacy! It definitely doesn’t feel like Christmas all that much but the busyness is kind of nice sometimes because it makes the days go quicker 

definitely some relaxing now!! I’ve just come back from a winter walk with my friend and her dog and I think that’s all the exercise I’ll be doing for the next few days :D

Merry Christmas to you too!! I hope you have a great time and get some rest too :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Ooooo... I just had some!  They were deeeee-licious!  They were wrapped in dough though. 

(A tad healthier than the preferred AMERICAN bacon! As opposed to broiled scallops, which must always be wrapped in bacon.  Again, AMERICAN bacon. :D

Enjoy your Christmas Day my daughter!!  xoxo 

I’m jealous!! I’ve never had them wrapped in dough? Sounds nice though! 

My whole house currently smells like turkey and bacon so I’m happy :D

Same to you American mom!! Xxx

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I’m jealous!! I’ve never had them wrapped in dough? Sounds nice though! 

That’s the usual way we eat them!  Ok... next time you’re here!!!!  Pigs in a dough blanket it is! xoxo 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:
On 12/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, rachelharms said:

I’m ready for pigs in blankets.. and what are they wrapped in?!?

Ooooo... I just had some!  They were deeeee-licious!  They were wrapped in dough though. 

(A tad healthier than the preferred AMERICAN bacon!

Er ..... wouldn't that be sausage rolls?

• Haha 1

Happy Christmas to everyone. Hope you all have a great and healthy 2020.

Thanks as ever to CK for this place. It's still a shining light.

• Like 7

Ok, just finished present opening and breakfast.

Got a couple Man City related item's and a couple Indy Colts items! :D BUT NO BRUCE related items. :angry: Bruce please make this right soon!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Er ..... wouldn't that be sausage rolls?

I was going to Ask that.

• Like 1

Just spoke to friend in St Louis on whatsapp, isn't technology wonderful.

Hope everyone has had a good day.

• Like 3

Our pigs in blankets were particularly good this year - they obviously benefitted from being dropped on the kitchen floor before going into the oven...

So, I got the film soundtrack on vinyl from Mr J jnr. but I didn't get the dvd!! I don't know whether it is coming for my birthday at the end of January, or whether I need to buy it for myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Well everywhere in town closed early except for us because we’re a pharmacy! It definitely doesn’t feel like Christmas all that much but the busyness is kind of nice sometimes because it makes the days go quicker 

definitely some relaxing now!! I’ve just come back from a winter walk with my friend and her dog and I think that’s all the exercise I’ll be doing for the next few days :D

Merry Christmas to you too!! I hope you have a great time and get some rest too :) 

do you sell nice gifty stuff in your pharmacy like they do here, especially in the suburbs and small towns?

the chemist shop in Waikanae always has beautiful stuff at Christmas 

always plenty to look out while one has to wait for the pharmacist to sign off when im buying voltaran or buclin (can spell that but those little pills we take in the winter)

how do you avoid not getting sick working in a chemist ?

25 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Our pigs in blankets were particularly good this year - they obviously benefitted from being dropped on the kitchen floor before going into the oven...

So, I got the film soundtrack on vinyl from Mr J jnr. but I didn't get the dvd!! I don't know whether it is coming for my birthday at the end of January, or whether I need to buy it for myself.

you might just have to bite the bullet and ask Mr Slippers ?

what kind of sussages do you use for pigs in blankets

they seem to be everywhere i look on English tv cooking shows this year

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s the usual way we eat them!  Ok... next time you’re here!!!!  Pigs in a dough blanket it is! xoxo 

is it baked inside bread dough?

because those things are serouss yum !

some interesting points 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/kiwi-traveller/118434894/for-some-kiwis-christmas-is-better-in-the-uk

personally ive never seen anyone over the age of 3 in a Christmas themed  outfit

i do wish the shops made more of an effort and the town and city councils too 

when i was little there was even Christmas lights strung up in South Dunedin 

we went into our little mall this week for lunch. they had pretty garlands strung overhead but when we got to the food court there were two Christmas trees about 7 foot tall and that was all

the carvery had some tinsil across their counter and the curry place had a nice budlight tree, the cafe had a big tree but none of the other's did or did the shops

no ceiling decorations 

the shops seem more than hapoy to sell you stuff at christmas but when it comes to spreading a bit of Christmas cheer they are lacking

In town they have a big tree and lights for a few blocks but on the corners only

but nothing like you see on tv or in the movies

time for more cheescake ...

On 12/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, jmw said:

I know, toasted with marmite would be lovely, maybe a farmhouse loaf.

Vegemite

• Like 1

Boxing Day here now. The Boxing Day Test (cricket) will be on so I will be in for some serious couch time, with maybe a quick swim during the tea break.

Didn’t get any socks. Unfortunate because I don’t think I’ve ever nabbed the Socks, Jock & Chocs combo and I snared the other two.

Christmas Eve was my family at our place. Two large pork bellies done on charcoal, two deboned turkeys in the oven, ham, foiled potatoes on the coals, salads, pudding, drinks etc.

Yesterday was left over cold meats, smashed potatoes and salad, plus of course White Wine in the Sun. Just us four and my mum.

I really like Christmas, it’s sentimental I know but I just really like it.

Feeling blessed.

919F6DD0-4D8C-42C6-8A73-130DC5816129.jpeg

F971329C-A50A-4673-82E7-93BC47C303C6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

49 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

Vegemite

Oh yes, not that easy to find here, only. Asda seem to sell it. When I visited my nephew I had toast and Vegemite everyday for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

28 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

Boxing Day here now. The Boxing Day Test (cricket) will be on so I will be in for some serious couch time, with maybe a quick swim during the tea break.

Didn’t get any socks. Unfortunate because I don’t think I’ve ever nabbed the Socks, Jock & Chocs combo and I snared the other two.

Christmas Eve was my family at our place. Two large pork bellies done on charcoal, two deboned turkeys in the oven, ham, foiled potatoes on the coals, salads, pudding, drinks etc.

Yesterday was left over cold meats, smashed potatoes and salad, plus of course White Wine in the Sun. Just us four and my mum.

I really like Christmas, it’s sentimental I know but I just really like it.

Feeling blessed.

919F6DD0-4D8C-42C6-8A73-130DC5816129.jpeg

F971329C-A50A-4673-82E7-93BC47C303C6.jpeg

That is a lot of meat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I didn't notice that the pigs in blankets were intended to be cooked from frozen until I'd thawed them out. I just had to guess how long they needed in the oven.

The remainder will be eaten in a toasted sandwich for my traditional Boxing Day breakfast :)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

17 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I didn't notice that the pigs in blankets were intended to be cooked from frozen until I'd thawed them out. I just had to guess how long they needed in the oven.

The remainder will be eaten in a toasted sandwich for my traditional Boxing Day breakfast :)

that's sounds weird but id be happy to try it :lol:

Merry Christmas fellow lakers. Hope you had a good time wherever in the world you live :D. It’s all about love, family and friendship in my sentimental heart. Stay safe and well. Let’s try make 2020 the start of a kinder decade. Sorry, beer talking!

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 2