Jerm23

These days there ain't no more, now there's just again

This is just such an amazing line about the feel of growing older. 

Also picturing it within the message of One Step Up signifying a stale relationship.

Brilliant.

• Like 3

This line is so sad but it reminds me very much of working with elderly people and also my own mum. Things which they had wished to do and now couldn't or things they would like to do again.

One woman I remember in particular, Margaret, a truly lovely person. She was a patron of the Royal Shakespeare Company and, consequently, saw every play they put on. When she moved to our care home she went once more and,  when she came back, I can hear her now saying to me that that would be her last ever visit. She was well into her nineties and had no regrets, but I can't imagine knowing you are experiencing something you really enjoy and knowing it will be the last time.

How does he do it? Come up with these supposedly simple lines which say so much.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Sad 3

What tune is this from? :P

4 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Things which they had wished to do and now couldn't or things they would like to do again.

Well that is why my wife and I have made an effort to do all these major European vacation/holidays now while we can afford and physically still do them. After we retire we plan on doing all things in the US and Canada. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

That line actually scares me and makes me try new things before its too late!! :(

That's what I told my wife last night! :D

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Well that is why my wife and I have made an effort to do all these major European vacation/holidays now while we can afford and physically still do them. After we retire we plan on doing all things in the US and Canada. 

Western Stars.

11 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

How does he do it? Come up with these supposedly simple lines which say so much.

Maybe that's how he feels inside too sometimes :(

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

we are the same i just work to travel nowadays we tend to go the opposite way to you mind, physically it is becoming a strain travelling, so maybe not many left, ruby wedding next year so looking for something special in june. we are not immortal and Bruce often reminds me of that

• Like 2

Every day's a new day. Always something new. Bruce is still 'young' and fit enough to be enriched by a multitude of things.

I feel for those who feel there's nothing more to come. I'm reminded of my Aunty Nan - when she knew she was dying she told me she'd have liked just one more summer.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Sad 1

I think its the Cowboy's perspective from being depressed and most likely suicidal....Imagining death and the end as omnipresent in his mind.

Was watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and Brad Pitts charecter is driving on the 5 past Forrest Lawn. It struck me as a theme in that movie too. These magisterial men growing older. I have admitted its me as well.

Currently playing "Duquense Whistle" and its in there too....

50 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Every day's a new day. Always something new. Bruce is still 'young' and fit enough to be enriched by a multitude of things.

I feel for those who feel there's nothing more to come. I'm reminded of my Aunty Nan - when she knew she was dying she told me she'd have liked just one more summer.

yes you have to learn to adapt to your limitations and move on.  i find as my responsibilities for kids etc has gone i always need something to look forward to. life can be very mundane if you allow it

• Like 2

While it is a great line, I think there is a lot to be said for "again". The familiar coming around - there is comfort in that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

While it is a great line, I think there is a lot to be said for "again". The familiar coming around - there is comfort in that.

Yes! That’s the secret to growing old gracefully.That’s the secret to growing old gracefully

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

That's what I told my wife last night! :D

Same here.  My MiL has had some issues this fall.  Heart attack and then a brain bleed from a fall.  Brain surgery and then months or rehab hospitals.  She's 81 and we just moved her to an assisted living facility. Has quite a bit of dementia.

We've been talking with our friends that we are 20 years from that mark..  Some vacation planning has begun.  Talk of Ireland, Italy, European river cruise.  etc

I'd like to get out west more.  More Cali and Grand Canyon and other national parks

• Like 3

Springsteen does tend to portray characters - and in particular working class characters - as  experiencing life as bit of a dead end. It's there also in the 'bills and kids' line in Moonlight Motel. 

Is this a reflection of how he sees life or how he thinks 'ordinary' people see life? Sometimes it can come across as a bit patronising to be honest. 

It was there in songs in his early career and although I can understand that viewpoint coming from a much younger person yet to find their way in life it's a bit unbecoming of older people. Something to snap out of or risk being a bit of a bore. In real life I'd cross the road to avoid people who talk like the miserable characters in a lot of Springsteen songs.

Are we really interested in listening to songs about people who no longer think life has anything to offer? It's one of the reasons I've been unable to accept the WS is a masterpiece point of view.

Maybe he should join his local Park Run and get back to doing what he was born to do.  There's a new challenge.

3 minutes ago, Demos said:

Springsteen does tend to portray characters - and in particular working class characters - as  experiencing life as bit of a dead end. It's there also in the 'bills and kids' line in Moonlight Motel. 

Is this a reflection of how he sees life or how he thinks 'ordinary' people see life? Sometimes it can come across as a bit patronising to be honest. 

It was there in songs in his early career and although I can understand that viewpoint coming from a much younger person yet to find their way in life it's a bit unbecoming of older people. Something to snap out of or risk being a bit of a bore. In real life I'd cross the road to avoid people who talk like the miserable characters in a lot of Springsteen songs.

Are we really interested in listening to songs about people who no longer think life has anything to offer? It's one of the reasons I've been unable to accept the WS is a masterpiece point of view.

Maybe he should join his local Park Run and get back to doing what he was born to do.  

Great points. I would add however that some of the songs share that point of view but then point in the direction of the character rising above it i.e. Badlands, Racing in the streets etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demos said:

Are we really interested in listening to songs about people who no longer think life has anything to offer?

For those who may share in the mindset, for better or worse, of course "we" do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bruce is clearly in character mode with this line. Which is the best line on the album for me.

As for Bruce himself, it’s completely untrue. He’s not The Rolling Stones, for them perhaps it’s just again. Bruce constantly stretches and challenges himself musically. Western Stars as an album is all the evidence we need from him that’s it’s most definitely not, “just again”...It’s new, it’s fresh, and it’s absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Deddie downers are every where 

don't let their negativity rub off

we went to visit an old friend from way back of Gary's yesterday (i hate going there) 

i think most people by 67 have a few health concerns but its hardly a sign of the end of the road

she said to him 'what are you going to do with your tools ?'

He was a qualified carpenter/ joiner most of his working life

I had to interject ' once his eyes get better he will be renovating our house' 

And he is optimistic his eyes will get better

But some people just want to see people reduced to their lowest level.of misery

I don't think she thinks i have a brain- i get so mad when we hope back in the car

Bruce doesn't do that

He sings about hope and love and faith and community, but he does so without judgement

• Like 1

I think it's one of those great lines that resonates with the listener above and beyond the song itself. Like the 'is a dream a lie...' line from The River.

And unlike The River, where the next line is that the river is dry, here despite the sadness of acknowledging that new experiences may not be forthcoming, the stars are still shining for the narrator 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, berlintramp said:

Unless of course he is referring to someone he know that is suffering from dementia.

Without getting too morbid, currently witnessing a close relative going through this at present, and it sums it up perfectly, experiencing the same thing every day, with no recollection of what went before.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Stranger in town said:

Unless of course he is referring to someone he know that is suffering from dementia.t

Without getting too morbid, currently witnessing a close relative going through this at present, and it sums it up perfectly, experiencing the same thing every day, with no recollection of what went before.

My mum is in the more advanced stages of dementia right now. Which is why I wondered for a while whether There Goes My Miracle was about Bruce's mum, at least in part. Especially this part...

Moonlight, moon bright
Where's my lucky star tonight
Streets lost in lamp light
Suddenly in sight, suddenly in sight

Those last two lines... that impression of your loved one being confused and lost, but suddenly switching back in and knowing who you are and who they are. That verse evokes that particular phase of the dementia experience powerfully for me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2