Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Max's Florida mansion would have been up for sale much earlier.  

Bruce and Sting are close friend and have been for many years. Sting is amazing. Hugely talented musician and songwriter, and he was the driving force behind one of the best British bands of

Well, first of all, there are plenty of Gordon Sumner haters here, so you wont find much resistance in the belittlement of the Stingaroo in this place. I've still to understand exactly why Sting is so

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

That Richard Thompson song.  Nasty. 

Many lyrics of  Richard Thompson songs are nasty, cruel and vile.

This said, it is often, if not always,  the character in the RT song who is nasty, cruel and vile while in this song it seems to be RT himself.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s fair.  His clapping aside (yes, strange I agree!), I really, really like his music.  Bono as well.  

Different strokes... 

I don't think I've ever paid too much attention on how someone claps, is there clapping etiquette?  

Bono is the other Sting 'round here.  

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I don't think I've ever paid too much attention on how someone claps, is there clapping etiquette?  

No ‘etiquette’ as far as I’m concerned; but there was a clip of him not too long ago in the audience and well... he was just clapping in a very, very strange manner.  

Makes zero difference to me,  just an observation. 

Re Bono: Yeah, I know.  I noticed that over the years.  Personally, I like the music of both of them.  A lot.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Cool, I love shows when rock stars, or former, start shit like this.  Like Daryl Hall's neat little show.  

"Live From Daryl's House" was pretty good.  I liked the way other artists would interpret H&O tunes.  In several interviews he would say about what a song meant to him (and/or John) and enjoyed others take.

9 hours ago, Kooly said:

Wow 2K a day :o

Thats like a bizzilion dollars at the end of the year even before we convert it to NZ dollars 

Imangine what it is in Steve's South African Rand?:(

I like some police songs

I detest the preaching of Sting (and Bono) 

I don't mind Bruce's PSA,s because he's not in your face about it so i don't mind listening and paying attention 

Even the footage ive seen of the vote for change tour 

13 hours ago, Kooly said:

All three hated each other..however they were still a great band.

The 1983 Synchronicity tour which was their last tour was infamous as they notoriously all stayed in different hotels and travelled individually to the shows and rehearsals. It was no surprise they announced the end of the band when the tour finished. They were probably the biggest band in the world at that point and had sold out Shea Stadium amongst other huge venues.

12 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

All three hated each other..however they were still a great band.

The 1983 Synchronicity tour which was their last tour was infamous as they notoriously all stayed in different hotels and travelled individually to the shows and rehearsals. It was no surprise they announced the end of the band when the tour finished. They were probably the biggest band in the world at that point and had sold out Shea Stadium amongst other huge venues.

So that unfortunate experience lead to Sting then poisoned Bruce by fertilizing the seed of doubt in his mind regarding the ESB durring the Amnesty tour

12 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

It never occurred to me that was about Sting.

TBF, Richard Thompson has never confirmed that it was about Sting - he says people came to that conclusion. But he also says it is about someone real. So either there are two Stings out there (shudder) or...

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

So that unfortunate experience lead to Sting then poisoned Bruce by fertilizing the seed of doubt in his mind regarding the ESB durring the Amnesty tour

That's a big leap to make.

1. That 'seed of doubt" was already there on the Tunnel Tour (or even before with the Bridge Benefit 1986).

2. Working with other musicians on Amnesty tour was maybe a factor that something had to change but that were all Amnesty tour musicians, not only Sting.

3. It was a good and necessary decision to work without the ESB for some time (Not especially firing them).

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

That’s funny because when I think of Sting, I think of Bono and I don’t particularly like the music of either. I don’t even understand it, and I happen to like both as people from what I know of them. Something about Bono’s voice bothers me. I’m not sure what it is with Sting.

6 hours ago, Rizla said:

That's a big leap to make.

Unreal that people actually think Springsteen fell under some Yoda-like spell from Sting and hence "fired" the ESB. It's like attesting to Bruce (who, BTW, is one of the most heavy control freaks about his career) being too dumb to make up his own mind....Yup. It's all Sting's fault :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Understatement.  

Not that Bruce ain't his own person but I'd be thanking the shit out of Sting if he had even the slightest iota to do with the firing.  Best thing Bruce ever did. 

de-do do do de-da da da is all I want to say to you.... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Understatement.  

Not that Bruce ain't his own person but I'd be thanking the shit out of Sting if he had even the slightest iota to do with the firing.  Best thing Bruce ever did. 

Yeah, better than writing records like Darkness or Born To Run, or - indeed - forming the E Street Band in the first place...

• Like 2