Greasy Lake Community

Bruce and Sting

23 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Huh?  Hardly what I meant.  I mean diversifying his career enabling him to try different shit and end up back together, probably only because they separated in the first place.  No firing would mean no Seeger Sessions ferchrissake!  

woops....humour attempt failure :wacko: My bad

48 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Huh?  Hardly what I meant.  I mean diversifying his career enabling him to try different shit and end up back together, probably only because they separated in the first place.  No firing would mean no Seeger Sessions ferchrissake!  

So let's ask ourselves, is Human Touch and Lucky Town (especially the tour that happened afterward) better with or without the ESB? 

That's what we are talking about right? Not Seeger Sessions and or solo? Unless Bruce just can't stand to be around some of them after awhile I don't see the problem. Because I believe the ESB could pull off a SS type show. 

Exhibit A:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Understatement.  

Not that Bruce ain't his own person but I'd be thanking the shit out of Sting if he had even the slightest iota to do with the firing.  Best thing Bruce ever did. 

What?!?

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

Unreal that people actually think Springsteen fell under some Yoda-like spell from Sting and hence "fired" the ESB. It's like attesting to Bruce (who, BTW, is one of the most heavy control freaks about his career) being too dumb to make up his own mind....Yup. It's all Sting's fault :rolleyes:

Maybe it was Baby Yoda? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I'm not getting into whether material is better with or without, nor did I really give a fuck.  My point is that before the band became too tired he rightfully went on a different path.  

On this we can agree.

Saying it's the best he ever did is however a bit of a stretch...

18 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

That's what we are talking about right? Not Seeger Sessions and or solo? Unless Bruce just can't stand to be around some of them after awhile I don't see the problem. Because I believe the ESB could pull off a SS type show. 

They could, or could with a few added musicians.  

I’ve always felt that he just wanted to change things up, get different perspectives, and work with different musicians. 

And as much as I LOVED every show I attended, was definitely weird at the time seeing Bruce w/out the E Street Band (save for Roy) on stage. 

But I’ve always firmly believed that time apart not only gave him whatever he needed from a music standpoint; it gave him an appreciation of the E Street members that he probably would never have had otherwise.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

.  I mean diversifying his career enabling him to try different shit and end up back together, probably only because they separated in the first place.

This indeed.

Without separation maybe Bruce and band - and/ or  band members with each other- would have clashed in the 90s, to never work together again.

I think now would be the appropriate time to say that I really don't care about the E Street band as much as other fans. I know they are all great musicians, but Bruce is the only reason I'm here. I love him with or without a band, any band. What worries me, is the promised next E Street album and tour turning into 'same old'. I love Bruce taking chances, I'd like him to step outside his Bruce Springsteen TM comfort zone, similar as he did with WS. Originality is the word, I guess.

Yes, the dismissal of the band was inevitable and vital. With the tense atmosphere during the TOL tour, the band should have been well prepared for the breakup by the time it had actually happened.

In my little mixed up head, I sometimes wonder what would have happened with Springsteen's music had the E Street said 'fuck you, Bruce' when he recruited them for the reunion. Which path would he have taken?

7 hours ago, Silvia said:

In my little mixed up head, I sometimes wonder what would have happened with Springsteen's music had the E Street said 'fuck you, Bruce' when he recruited them for the reunion. Which path would he have taken?

Max's Florida mansion would have been up for sale much earlier.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Silvia said:

Imy little mixed up head, I sometimes wonder what would have happened with Springsteen's music had the E Street said 'fuck you, Bruce' when he recruited them for the reunion. Which path would he have taken?

The first Seeger Session was in the 90s before Reunion Tour.

The Rising album recorded by Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Session band? (So everyone who wants to vomit now should thank Sting this did not happen!)

On 12/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, Kooly said:

Stewart and Andy get 15% each. Andy and Sting are by all accounts very close.

Have a listen to edge of seventeen by Stevie Nicks or Bootylicious by Destiny’s Child - they lifted Andy Summers and were never sued. It’s Bring on the Night from Regatta 

On 12/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, MacBruce said:

All three hated each other..however they were still a great band.

The 1983 Synchronicity tour which was their last tour was infamous as they notoriously all stayed in different hotels and travelled individually to the shows and rehearsals. It was no surprise they announced the end of the band when the tour finished. They were probably the biggest band in the world at that point and had sold out Shea Stadium amongst other huge venues.

Sting had broken ribs from fighting Copeland at one point.

there is a great interview where Sting says 6 years previously they were sleeping 4 to a room, carrrying their instruments as hand luggage and now they were flying in separate helicopters to Shea stadium. At that point only The Beatles, Stones, Who and the Police had sold the place out. Sting said he then knew that was the time to break them up.

The reunion tour really was poor though, nothing like a real Police show.

They were a great band, easily the biggest out there in ‘83

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevharrison said:

Stewart and Andy get 15% each. Andy and Sting are by all accounts very close.

Have a listen to edge of seventeen by Stevie Nicks or Bootylicious by Destiny’s Child - they lifted Andy Summers and were never sued. It’s Bring on the Night from Regatta 

It is possible that the music publishers came to an amicable agreement behind the scenes.  Noel Gallagher's people have been known to do this.

Anyway, Bruce should tour with the WS Band.  We know that he's ruled out the strings, but that barn band could give a great Americana / roots twist to his catalogue, not to mention some freshly recorded material.  I really don't care if he records / performs with the ESB again.