Greasy Lake Community

12/09/1980 Spectrum Philadelphia, Pa

3 hours ago, J said:

4 nights? Damn! 

Yep. They had staggered role calls - IIRC 6 a day the first 3 days and then anytime Friday and all thru the night. I lived about an hour away so I could get home once a day to shower.  Food wise, South Philly has many diners and take out eateries. Played a lot of backgammon and threw the frisbee around to kill time. Great times.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, BirdManT said:

Wanted to post this last week but....

After having seen Bruce dozens and dozens of times since 1975, I rate this show as the best Bruce concert I ever attended.

As we all know, this was the day after John Lennon's murder.  It was a horrible day for all of music.  We were glued to the radio all day, wondering if the show would occur.  Side note - I slept for 4 nights in the Spectrum parking lot (actually the JFK Stadium lot - right next door) for tickets.  I was #4 in line and ended up with row 7 center stage tix.

My girl friend (now my wife of 36 years), brother and friend went to the arena early - still no word on a show occurring.  We finally got word late afternoon it was going to happen and were very relieved.  As Bruce said in his opening remarks they had considered cancelling the show but there was really nothing else they could do but play.  He also said that we'd all be somewhere else if it hadn't been for John.

I'm not a real set list watcher, so I don't recall all that was played.  But after his remarks, they ripped into a torrid BTR.  Later in the show, Point Blank was riveting.  I still get choked up thinking about the performance of it that night.  Haunting.  Ending with Twist and Shout was epic.

39 years down the road and I still get the willies thinking of that night.  Thank you Bruce.

I am not sure why i didn't put this together at the time .... But ( as a lot of us were ) I grew up a huge Beatles fan and a huge John Lennon Fan ..... I saw my first Bruce show on 12/4/80....I found someone and lost someone within 4 days ..... Thats what the Calendar says ....But i don't remember thinking it at the time .... 40 Years in 2020...unreal

• Like 3