Greasy Lake Community

U2 finally comes to India

balboa08

The Joshua Tree tour finally came to India last Sunday, Dec 15th.

Joshua Tree has always been one of my favourite non Bruce albums so I was pretty excited to see the show. My sister in law is also a huge U2 fan and happens to live in Mumbai where the show was held, so we were all waiting for the tickets to go on sale. We wanted the FOS tickets and as I was stuck in meetings for the first couple of days ended up buying in what was described as close to the stage with a clear view. I am never happy seeing rock shows unless I am up there in the front.

The whole thing to me appears to be a bit of a scam as the cost was relatively higher in the stands and 2 days before the show, tickets for FOS was again suddenly available. Given that we had spent a small fortune already, had no option other than to use what we already had and hope for the best. On entering it was immediately obvious that while the stadium is great for cricket matches, not so for rock concerts especially for a band like U2 who perform part of the show up in the front.

To keep it short, it was one of the most disappointing shows for me, as we never felt connected what was happening upfront, the fact that the large screen for most part does not  show the band playing but other visuals did not help matter either.

Will admit the sound was good and am sure for those upfront it was a fabulous show.

Added to this, Bono while repeatedly saying wonderful things about India slid in a few subtle digs about the Indian Government which is not something I appreciated. In a video montage, 3 ladies were shown whose sole claim to fame it appears is the rabid hatred they have for the Indian PM, his party  or in one case the lady hates the very idea of India and this was disgusting. Also, when he said sing ‘for Amnesty International’ knowing the current distrust between the Indian government and Amnesty was sad. For the first time, I too felt that maybe you should just shut and sing. The problem it appears with all these artists is that they listen to certain vested minds/ so called intellectuals and form their opinion with no understanding of the grass root issues. India is to complex a country for Bono to make such comments .Entertainers/ artist with conscience which is what I suppose Bono is  should be mindful of this.

Every minute of the show I was just thinking of that magical evening in Zurich when I saw Bruce for the first time.

• Like 1

I understand the disconnected feeling. U2 have good songs, play them well but I never felt emotionally involved when I saw them last. We get some Indian politics news on TV here but it's a vast country with as you say many issues that have different viewpoints and one thing for sure Bono isn't any sort of expert.

My last Bruce show was also Zurich. despite the rain, it was a great experience.

• Like 1

Sorry it wasn't a good experience. I know what it's like to live in a market that doesn't get all the tours, and most artists only visit once so you really want the experience to be magical.

I saw U2 once, 1998 on the POPMART tour. The sound was incredible, the show was amazing, but I watched the entire thing on the screens. The closest I came to seeing a member of the band was when Bono raised his acoustic guitar above is head, I saw it off in the distance.

Compare that to seeing Bruce the second time... We touched hands and I got drenched in Bruce sweat... slightly different experience....!

On 12/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, riverdude2 said:

I understand the disconnected feeling. U2 have good songs, play them well but I never felt emotionally involved when I saw them last. We get some Indian politics news on TV here but it's a vast country with as you say many issues that have different viewpoints and one thing for sure Bono isn't any sort of expert.

My last Bruce show was also Zurich. despite the rain, it was a great experience.

It appears that Bono rubbed lot of Philipines fans the wrong way too.https://www.alternativenation.net/bono-viciously-booed-u2-fans-concert/

While i am all for artists to be socially actve and do their bit, little bit of reseach  would help or if you dont know enough about a country or issues on hand, then dont take a stand. Hope Bruce never does anything like this...Coming to think of it has Bruce ever taken a stand on any other country's internal affairs except maybe the concert in Berlin in 1988 which was also in a way forced on him

Hope it's true.

The decade between 2001 to 2011 was great for me personally as most of the guys who I like all performed in my hometown, Bangalore. The government then messed it up by not allowing any event to take place at the venue where all concerts were staged and then all shows moved to Mumbai. Anyway, got to see Roger Waters, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Elton John,Iron Maiden, Scorpoions, etc..

Unfortunately due to a sadistic boss missed Mark Knopfler

Only hope Bono rattling his mouth off does not in any way prompt a knee jerk reaction from the government.

• Like 1

Bono has always been a misguided self proclaimed messiah ! I’ll never forgive him for his stand on climate change whilst simultaneously flying his fuckin hat to Rome ! He’s a narcissist and a hypocrite. Nevertheless The Joshua Tree is one of the great albums. His voice is shot too, by the sounds of it. 

On 12/29/2019 at 12:23 PM, riverdude2 said:

I really disliked the way the guy interviewed put everything in a very cold economic context . I’d like to think musicians have more to them than looking for emerging markets !!!!:huh:

Wish they would come and play a stadium show in Scotland again......last time I saw them was the 360 degree stage tour at Hampden which was about 10 years ago. It was amazing, but they haven't played a stadium show in Scotland since. They used to play at least one on every tour previously. One of the greatest bands of all time in my opinion, but they have went on too long.

Last U2 gig I attended was in Manchester October 2018. Great show for the most part but Bono banged on about Brexit just a teeny bit too much - even Remainers like myself were groaning with the tedium - and meanwhile I was stood near to a group of dickheads who talked as loudly as they could about frickin' football most of the night whilst paying zero attention to what was being said or performed on the stage. 

I'm probably in agreement with most of Bono's politics but I think he overestimates the extent to which huge parts of U2's audience are even remotely interested.

Just play the damn songs and let them speak for themselves. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 3:25 PM, Demos said:

Last U2 gig I attended was in Manchester October 2018. Great show for the most part but Bono banged on about Brexit just a teeny bit too much - even Remainers like myself were groaning with the tedium - and meanwhile I was stood near to a group of dickheads who talked as loudly as they could about frickin' football most of the night whilst paying zero attention to what was being said or performed on the stage. 

I'm probably in agreement with most of Bono's politics but I think he overestimates the extent to which huge parts of U2's audience are even remotely interested.

Just play the damn songs and let them speak for themselves. 

Slightly off topic, but the 2018 U2 show from Berlin is on sky one and sky arts at 11 Tonight (weds)  - great stage show and Performance  despite all the points previously made!  

here are the details...., it’s on elsewhere too!

https://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-experence-live-in-berlin

2 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Slightly off topic, but the 2018 U2 show from Berlin is on sky one and sky arts at 11 Tonight (weds)  - great stage show and Performance  despite all the points previously made!  

here are the details...., it’s on elsewhere too!

https://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-experence-live-in-berlin

Thanks for that. I understand it's a 75 minute cut but the full show will get a release soon.