Greasy Lake Community

Winterland at the double - New Downloads

4 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yeah, you're right. Most of this stuff is vastly better than the bootlegs we've been listening to. 

that's why once J gets his long awaited show im holding out for Moncton

a very standard WB set list but I WAS THERE alas the bootleg is trully terrible

one of those one's that is so bad audience sauced quality it's  rated 'only of interest to those who were there'

and in saying that i have to love that bootleg but would happily retire it 

4 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

For me it's just the fact that at the start of this decade I didn't know those three shows existed and was more than happy to listen to LINYC and Live in Barcelona on repeat thinking I'd hit the jackpot.

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard Bruce say "This is for all the people who'll one day hear this through the magic of bootlegging" again in the first Winterland show. Imagine thinking the first time you heard that that you'd be listening to an official release one day. 

as has already been said on more than one ocasion it's  a great time to be a fan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J said:

In my humble opinion... They completely messed up the balance of the instruments and vocals... Every now and then Bruce's voice drifts off like he's singing off mic (which wasn't the case at all on the boot). There are times when one instrument suddenly blasts out of the of the mix. There are times when instruments completely disappear in the mix. The whole mix is just really weird and imho bad. I haven't listened to the boot in ages but from memory it was far more even and with Bruce's vocals more up front. 

Anyway... Just my opinion. 

Haven’t played it yet but the instrument balance / in balance could be created by the source tapes going through the plangent process. 

20 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Haven’t played it yet but the instrument balance / in balance could be created by the source tapes going through the plangent process. 

So what's the point of the Plangent process if it spoils the original source?

:huh:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I don't know what that means! 

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I hope everyone else stops for a moment tonight and thinks about how in 2019 we're "arguing" on a Bruce Springsteen forum about the sound quality of the official Winterland '78, Nassau '80 and Stockholm '88 releases. 

I'm glad you put "arguing" in quotes because I consider it discussing. And I consider discussing sound quality of various releases of much interest. As long as it's kept civil I like contrasting opinions.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

I'm glad you put "arguing" in quotes because I consider it discussing. And I consider discussing sound quality of various releases of much interest. As long as it's kept civil I like contrasting opinions.

LOL maybe if the fighting keeps up then the The Circuit will get shut down like the political forum

• Bruuuuce! 1

What continues to confound me is this.

The 12/15 recording is the same thing you have been listening to for 40 years. Instead of listening to it after it was broadast on FM radio and recorded onto casettes, then copied, and copied, and copied some more, maybe 6-7 more times.  Then someone took those tapes and digitized then, pressing CDs. Then later someone took those CDs and put them some process where they thought they were fixing them. To some ears the results were good. These recordings were sacred and we played them alot. They sound like we remeber them.

Now, we get the same mix, but it was recorded on to 15 inch per second reel to reel studio grade tape. Then digitized and then put through the plagent process. Its better and the errors and anomolies that we took to heart as virtue are removed. To some, it sounds weird. But its better.

Sorry to keep going over it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

What continues to confound me is this.

The 12/15 recording is the same thing you have been listening to for 40 years. Instead of listening to it after it was broadast on FM radio and recorded onto casettes, then copied, and copied, and copied some more, maybe 6-7 more times.  Then someone took those tapes and digitized then, pressing CDs. Then later someone took those CDs and put them some process where they thought they were fixing them. To some ears the results were good. These recordings were sacred and we played them alot. They sound like we remeber them.

Now, we get the same mix, but it was recorded on to 15 inch per second reel to reel studio grade tape. Then digitized and then put through the plagent process. Its better and the errors and anomolies that we took to heart as virtue are removed. To some, it sounds weird. But its better.

Sorry to keep going over it. 

I feel like we're listening to different versions of this archive release! 

Maybe I should relisten to the boot... Perhaps I remember that one better than it actually is. 

But fact remains that I think the 15th sounds rubbish compared to the majority of archive releases. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'd weigh in on the bootleg vs archive release debate, but I deleted my Winterland boot already.

It was one of the harder ones to let go of...for about three whole seconds.

i think i have to keep my crystal cat - i only just got it back on my phone a few months back 

i have too much history with that particular prove it 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, Buddhabone said:

Hey Ho Rock n Roll deliver me from nowhere....

This is for all the drunks....

Jesus, where to begin? Maybe I am opening a new package of tapes from my friend from Pittsburgh. Playing Badlands from Winterland and then being floored by the madman belting out Streets of Fire, being transformed by Prove it, or being wowed by Preacher's Daghter/Mona/Shes the One.....Get MAD!!! Like Popeye. Pound for pound the most played bootleg in my tape collection 1987-2001 when it was replaced by FLACs from the Stone Pony Server...we can go on and we all have our memories and thats what this is...

Technically, I havent touched 12/16 yet...looking forward to playing a multi-track from that magic two weeks in December 1978. I still love Paramount and Seattle too...looking forward.

12/15 sounds like it was polished and cleaned up although only a smidge better, but it FEELS cleaner to a degree. I am not busted up by mastering and I am happy to turn it down...this one sounds great to me. Love that it was released warts and all, proving it doesnt need to be squeeky clean to be perfect. We have Roxy, and two Passaics that are perfect.

What is here is the power and the promise of it at a point where he flew into the ether, and became ours. He rose as he had to, Landau helped him find his true voice. Darkness is a masterpiece and these shows were proof of his potential.

Gotta keep listening.

Seattle 12-20-1978.. at the Seattle Arena (he played the Paramount NW earlier in June '78) but I digress, it's the 12-20-78 performance that never leaves me, ever. Promises made, Promises exceeded, then everything just got blown out of arena with a house lights up and a few hundred stragglers dancing to Twist & Shout in the wee hours of the night. As I headed to my car I turned backed at the arena to watch Bruce slide across the loading dock fall onto the hood of a beater car, start it up and drive through us (most of the converted oblivious that this madman honking was the Boss), tapping his horn, on his way to the airport for a Chrismas break. The best rock and roll show anyone there has ever attended. Ask them. 

Unfortunately the boots all sound poor. But this Winterland gift is very close! Awesomeness. Here's a pic from Seattle 12-20-78. 

post-15220-0-97680200-1412816723-1.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

How does the sound quality of the new 12/15 compare to that of the Cleveland Agora 8/9/78 Nugs release?

Well seeing as this is the fourth best sounding Darkness release after the two Passaic's and The Roxy and The Agora is the worst sounding Archive there is, 15/12 by an absolute landslide. 

13 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Well seeing as this is the fourth best sounding Darkness release after the two Passaic's and The Roxy and The Agora is the worst sounding Archive there is, 15/12 by an absolute landslide. 

Got it.  Where do you rank 12/16 in terms of sound quality?

Does it go like this (from best to worst):

9/19

9/20

7/7

12/16

12/15

8/9

2 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Got it.  Where do you rank 12/16 in terms of sound quality?

Does it go like this (from best to worst):

9/19

9/20

7/7

12/16

12/15

8/9

Haven't managed to listen to the full show yet, but it's very good from what I've heard. Potentially better than 15/12 and likely where you've placed it. 

I'll make sure to confirm in the 16/12 review. 

Mind, I've got 20/9/78 at the top of the list. It's the Measuring Stick of Archive Series Audio. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Could not disagree more buddy.  Agora sounds great to me, love the sound and mix.  Worst sounding archive release post Nassau remix is easily NY2000 or 05 Aug 1984.  Both appallingly mixed.

Best by a landslide is Passaic night 2.

9 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Could not disagree more buddy.  Agora sounds great to me, love the sound and mix.  Worst sounding archive release post Nassau remix is easily NY2000 or 05 Aug 1984.  Both appallingly mixed.

Best by a landslide is Passaic night 2.

Have I just got a different Agora to everyone else? :lol: 

Not sure if I've somehow been listening to the pre-Archive release quality show or what, but mine sounds really bad. 

In regards to MSG 2000 and 5/8/84, I don't have an issue with the former but can understand why some might be disappointed thinking LINYC is better. The August 5th show is deffo the worst of the three BITUSA releases, but like most of the pre-2016 Archive shows I'm happy to give it the benefit of being early days as there's been surefire improvement since. 

The Agora though, I just don't know how anyone can listen to it and tell me there's been no improvement from a bootleg recording.