Greasy Lake Community

Winterland at the double - New Downloads

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, and seeing as I posted something like this last year, let's do it again for 2019. I also kinda need to show some fanboy positivity on this thread...  In 2019 we've had: - THE PIÈCE DE RÉ

Hey Ho Rock n Roll deliver me from nowhere.... This is for all the drunks.... Jesus, where to begin? Maybe I am opening a new package of tapes from my friend from Pittsburgh. Playing Badland

I'll tell you what, reviewing these shows can be a task at this time of year.  December 16th: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/12/24/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-december-16th-1978-

Posted Images

On 12/26/2019 at 8:20 AM, Spanish Juannie said:

the appause/crowd noise sounds like a club show (Roxy ?).

The applaus from Sandy (from Nassau Coliseum 31 December 1980) is also over dubbed with applaus from a club show (likely Roxy) to give the first part of Live 1975-85 until Hungry Heart a club atmosfeer.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The applaus from Sandy (from Nassau Coliseum 31 December 1980) is also over dubbed with applaus from a club show (likely Roxy) to give the first part of Live 1975-85 until Hungry Heart a club atmosfeer.

I'm sure the 12 inch b side ''Incident on 57th Street'' is given the same suggesting it was considered for Record 1 of the set. The live archive series seems to be the authentic crowd noise and NO overdubs. Glory be !!

6854442822_44e99ca8a1.jpg

8 hours ago, Spanish Juannie said:

It might actually only be the ''you say you'' which has been dubbed to replace the vague ''D'you'' which was actually sung on 16 Dec. Notice that the word ''alone'' is stretched out to 3 syllables in both cases unlike any other pro-recorded version I've examined from 1978 (so far!).Where the dubbed line is from is anybody's guess.

Overdubbed in the studio is my guess.  The closest match I found is the Bridge Benefit '86 which suggests to me that that's the general time period it's from.

I would assume Bruce was pretty heavily involved in the Live release.  Basically imagine the footage of him during Darkness, endlessly yelling "stick!" at Jimmy Iovine, but with live songs instead.  If there's a bum note or flubbed solo from one of the other instruments, it's probably easier to copy it from the next night or whatever.  If it's a problem with a line of Bruce's vocals, it's easier for him to just walk into the next room and sing it again to patch the recording.

Just finished listening to these two show again last night and this morning/afternoon. Three things. 

1. The Ties that Bind today is 18 times better in 78' 

2. I was never a big fan of Racin in the Streets as a lot here are, But after listening to these two shows, I GET IT NOW. 

3. If this tour happened today in the internet/Greasy Lake world, would we be bitchin about: Prove it, Racing in the Street, Thunder Road and Jungleland closing out the first set most every night? 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
20 minutes ago, lazysean said:

Overdubbed in the studio is my guess.  The closest match I found is the Bridge Benefit '86 which suggests to me that that's the general time period it's from.

I would assume Bruce was pretty heavily involved in the Live release.  Basically imagine the footage of him during Darkness, endlessly yelling "stick!" at Jimmy Iovine, but with live songs instead.  If there's a bum note or flubbed solo from one of the other instruments, it's probably easier to copy it from the next night or whatever.  If it's a problem with a line of Bruce's vocals, it's easier for him to just walk into the next room and sing it again to patch the recording.

I'm pretty sure that the guitar solo in Badlands was re-recorded, possibly Because The Night and Incident as well (and likely others, too). I have a feeling this goes for some sax solos aa well. For You (from Roxy), on the other hand, seems almost untouched.

But I would sure like to see a complete list of what retouching has been done on the set.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I'm pretty sure that the guitar solo in Badlands was re-recorded, possibly Because The Night and Incident as well (and likely others, too).

I think I read somewhere (probably on this website) Nils' guitar solo in War was re-recorded/overdubbed, too.

Edit: and I think some singing from Bruce on Darlington County too.

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I think I read somewhere (probably on this website) Nils' guitar solo in War was re-recorded/overdubbed, too.

War is a definite, because that solo simply doesn't exist in the original live show.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

As @lazysean said, the War solo isn't even a re-recording; I'd call it an add-on... :P

49 minutes ago, lazysean said:

Well spotted, yes the line in the Bridge show is sung the same way as 16 Dec. I was never that impressed with the live set version version of 'Fire' which is a bit harsh of me considering the trouble they went to.I thought the Tempe 1980 one was better and they'd have a ready made video for the single too. Nothing's ever simple is it !!

35 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I'm pretty sure that the guitar solo in Badlands was re-recorded, possibly Because The Night and Incident as well (and likely others, too). I have a feeling this goes for some sax solos aa well. For You (from Roxy), on the other hand, seems almost untouched.

But I would sure like to see a complete list of what retouching has been done on the set.

'Born to run' definitely had overdubs in the main riff.  It never sounded as clean as that especially in '85.That retouching list will probably be as elusive as the Winterland video !

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Spanish Juannie said:

I was never that impressed with the live set version version of 'Fire' 

Well it was a lot more easier in 1986, not knowing (yet) the intro to Fire was not from Winterland but from Roxy, not knowing the Sad Eyes part of Backstreets was cut, etc.

And I always thought it was wrong to cut Sad Eyes but since only a few years I think it was right.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

3. If this tour happened today in the internet/Greasy Lake world, would we be bitchin about: Prove it, Racing in the Street, Thunder Road and Jungleland closing out the first set most every night? 

Yep. And also speculating and arguing about which additional song(s) could be included in the setlist if only he didn't waste time on that She's The One intro and the Backstreets interlude.

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Yep. And also speculating and arguing about which additional song(s) could be included in the setlist if only he didn't waste time on that She's The One intro and the Backstreets interlude.

To be fair, they would be pretty valid questions.

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Funny, and I think you're absolutely right. Passaic 2 would have a whole other status, for instance.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

...and the band introductions during Rosalita (which got even worse on the River and BUSA Tours with the band introductions almost as long as the actual song; but even that not as long as all the 'Take Me To The River etc.' nonsense during Reunion Tour versions of Tenth Avenue).

Rosalita was better in 1988!:)

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is the "hey kid, Santa Claus isn't real" equivalent for people who wanted to believe in the authenticity of Live 1975-85.

I swear down, if July 6th and/or 9th, 1981 are released in the next couple of years and "Racing" and "Jersey Girl" don't sound as magical because of apparent overdubs and other studio added intricacies, there's garna be ructions. 

RUCTIONS I TELL YA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Let me just add that in the 70s & 80s it was an industry practice to overdub live recordings in the studio to make them sound more "polished'. According to Rolling Stone, 'Kiss Alive' had almost all the tracks overdubbed in the studio, including vocals and even drum parts. 'Frampton Comes Alive' contained audience cheering & clapping overdubs, according to RS. Live albums by Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Bob Seger's 'Nine Tonight' were all retouched in the studio. Supposedly, this was standard practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

According to Erik Flanagan's essay, less than half of the December 15 show is covered by existing multi-tracks. I'd love to see those released in a similar fashion to the 10 tracks from Tempe not covered by the video release. Such a significant show as December 15 needs a multi-track release, even if it only covers 90 minutes or less.

• Like 2