JimCT

Which New Year's Eve show rings the bell for you?

Best New Year's Eve show?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these NYE shows rings the bell best? Three outsstanding choice

• 1975 - Tower Theater
    • 1978 - Cleveland
    • 1980 - Uniondale

Three solid choices, all well-know and widely-circulated in the bootleg community before the official releases.

• Like 1

for those who want more details

1975-12-31 - TOWER THEATER, UPPER DARBY, PHILADELPHIA, PA

NIGHT / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET? / IT'S MY LIFE / SHE'S THE ONE / BORN TO RUN / PRETTY FLAMINGO / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / BACKSTREETS / MOUNTAIN OF LOVE / JUNGLELAND / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / DETROIT MEDLEY / QUARTER TO THREE / THUNDER ROAD / TWIST AND SHOUT

Final slow version of "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" until the re-arranged solo piano performances at the 1990 Christic Institute shows. Last known "Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?" until 1993 in Red Bank and last "Mountain Of Love" until 2008 in St. Louis. "Thunder Road" is the slow version with Roy on piano and Bruce on harmonica and vocals. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a lengthy mariachi-style introduction and a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. Steven Van Zandt leaves the stage sometime before the last three songs of the encore, as Bruce alludes to in his introduction to "Quarter To Three". Steve may have still been feeling the affects of the flu that also forced him off stage the previous night. Although many setlists are not fully known, "Spirit In The Night" and "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" may have appeared at every show of the 1975 Born To Run Tour – at least, there are no shows at which we can say with certainty that they were not played.

1978-12-31 - RICHFIELD COLISEUM, RICHFIELD, OH

BADLANDS / STREETS OF FIRE / RENDEZVOUS / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / INDEPENDENCE DAY / THE PROMISED LAND / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / PRETTY FLAMINGO / THUNDER ROAD / JUNGLELAND / THE TIES THAT BIND / SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN / THE FEVER / FIRE / CANDY'S ROOM / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / RAVE ON / AULD LANG SYNE / GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT / POINT BLANK / MONA - PREACHER'S DAUGHTER - SHE'S THE ONE / BACKSTREETS / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / QUARTER TO THREE

The penultimate show of the tour includes great versions of "Jungleland" and "The Fever" and the last known "Pretty Flamingo" (until 2003). A tour one-off "Auld Lang Syne" is included to celebrate the New Year. "She's The One" includes "I Get Mad". Final tour performances for "Independence Day", "The Ties That Bind", "Good Rockin' Tonight", and "I Get Mad". This is the famous "Firecracker show" where someone threw one on stage which hit Bruce, provoking a rant from Steven Van Zandt. During the next tour Bruce would regularly ask people not to let off firecrackers.

1980-12-31 - NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY

NIGHT / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / INDEPENDENCE DAY / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND / THE PROMISED LAND / OUT IN THE STREET / RACING IN THE STREET / THE RIVER / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / SHERRY DARLING / HUNGRY HEART / MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY / FIRE / CANDY'S ROOM / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / RENDEZVOUS / FADE AWAY / THE PRICE YOU PAY / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / TWO HEARTS / RAMROD / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / HELD UP WITHOUT A GUN / IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR / AULD LANG SYNE / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT / RAISE YOUR HAND

A tremendous show and one of the longest known with an astonishing 38 songs. The set includes the last known version of "Rendezvous" until 1999 and the live premiere of The River outtake "Held Up Without A Gun" (the song's only performance until 2008. The New Year's Eve celebrations include the tour's final versions of "Spirit In The Night", "Merry Christmas Baby", "In The Midnight Hour", and "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" as well as the last known "Auld Lang Syne". Standout performances include "Who'll Stop The Rain", "Racing In The Street", "The River", a wonderful full-band "The Price You Pay" and an extended "Detroit Medley" including "I Hear A Train". Roy Bittan plays the piano intro before "The River" and "Once Upon A Time In The West" as a bridge between that song and "Badlands". "Cadillac Ranch" includes some lyrics from "No Money Down". The encores also include the second "Twist And Shout" and the penultimate "Raise Your Hand" of the River Tour.

I love 1975, but 1980 is my favorite right now. that teamed up with the 29th show. Is pure Bruce if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Nassau 1980.....that because the night solo with the new mix.....

If the kids weren’t asleep upstairs and the wife didn’t want to watch TV I would play this show at full volume on my home speakers tonight synchronising the start time to reach midnight as at showtime. What a way to see the new year in it was for those fans that night. And I absolutely love the new mix which came out a few months ago. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

I would have loved to have been at all three ....But of course i have to vote for the one i actually attended.

Happy and Healthy New Year to All. Thanks for sharing my obsession.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Uniondale, 1980.

I'm spending New Year's Eve on the side of the road somewhere between Modesto and Stockton so my party will be a cheap motel room, some quality THC oil and the Uniondale show. By my calculations, if I start listening at 9:23, I'll have the show synched to ring in the New Year in real time.

Or I'll be passed out sleeping by 10:45.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Prerequisite for me is the 78 intro

• Like 1

Nassau, what a run of shows, Bruce & the band at their peak IMHO

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I have to give some kudos to that Rave On/Auld Lang Syne/Good Rockin' Tonight Trifecta ..... would love an official release of this show so i could own all three NYE shows.

• Like 2