Greasy Lake Community

RUMOUR: Springsteen Album and European Tour

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Nope if the music is good the music is good, doesn't matter what the message is. 

I agree. For example, I love Rage Against the Machine. I love the aggressiveness, the fire in the belly, the unique sound, the passion. I don’t necessarily agree with them politically but when I need some energy they are my go to band. 
i don’t listen to Springsteen to get a political charge or to find some political direction in my life. I listen to him to hear good music.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lampi said:

...and there is already a -sort of- anti-Trump album and it is called Magic, which is even more relevant now than when it was written (especially the title song).

You stole my post ;)- I was about to say the same thing. I was surprised he didn't bring out Magic (the song) in '16/'17.

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Let's hope so!! 

Not me. I'm so sick of hearing about the mess going on, I just want some nice rocking tunes to escape it for a while.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, misty rain said:

Not me. I'm so sick of hearing about the mess going on, I just want some nice rocking tunes to escape it for a while.

I hear ya.  Truly. 

OTOH if he does choose to share his thoughts on the subject, I’m all ears.  I’m always up for his perspective on everything and of course in his unique turn of phrase... 

(Agree with you and Lampi about Magic BTW) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicholas said:

My "hot take" is that a politically motivated album (while up my alley) would be more trouble than it's worth, especially with the presidential elections taking place this year.

Sure, Bruce would get a bit more coverage than usual given the relevancy of such a scope. But what happens if this album drops late in the year, and then Trump gets voted out of office?  Suddenly, that album seems a little less relevant, at least in the eye of the public.

Also, what if Bruce ends up stumping for the opposing candidate like he did in 2016 or 2004? Is he going to play those new political songs at the rallies? And then what happens if said candidate loses the election? Do those songs lose some power, some bite to them?

While I tend to fall in line with Bruce's political ideals, I think this idea would be a lose-lose.

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

So then it should be a very happy album coming up!

To expand on my quote above, Wrecking Ball album. Has a lot of tunes talking about the shit that happened in 2007-2009, Easy Money, Death to my Hometown, Shackled and Drawn and Jack of all Trades. But released in 2012 well into our recovery. Which the song content had no impact but are still great tunes I still love today. 

• Like 1

Jimmy, that is a great strength of his songwriting. He can make the lyrics say what he wants about a specific thing while also making them applicable on a larger scale. I would use 41 Shots as an example. It was obviously written about a very specific incident but the lyrics take a much broader look at the situation.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:23 PM, Promise61 said:

I don't know how your  system works?  Incorrect.

I'm not going into battle here because it'll get deleted anyway. Suffice to say, it was a farce, and hopefully it'll inspire some fire in Bruce's belly.

:)

Listen to her new song on the Lucinda Williams thread (other artists forum) for some fire in the belly about their esteemed "leader".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Listen to her new song on the Lucinda Williams thread (other artists forum) for some fire in the belly about their esteemed "leader".

And in a similar vein, the latest DBT record tackles the current American condition in pretty direct terms

Good music is good music, irrespective of whether the message matches the zeitgeist. Still listening to the Clash, Specials etc around here, ffs!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Any examples of some of these songs Jimmy ?

Answer:

17 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

To expand on my quote above, Wrecking Ball album. Has a lot of tunes talking about the shit that happened in 2007-2009, Easy Money, Death to my Hometown, Shackled and Drawn and Jack of all Trades. But released in 2012 well into our recovery. Which the song content had no impact but are still great tunes I still love today. 

7 hours ago, Walker in the sun said:

And in a similar vein, the latest DBT record tackles the current American condition in pretty direct terms

Good music is good music, irrespective of whether the message matches the zeitgeist. Still listening to the Clash, Specials etc around here, ffs!

What condition does it talk about?  The peace or the prosperity?  

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, TupacThePuma said:

Wow 29 pages & counting, nothing but drivel & not 1 concrete rumour of new material. See you all on page 101

Not 1 concrete rumour?

How about when Bruce said he's recording an new album and will be touring with the ESB soon.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, Jimmy James said:

Obviously, you don't know how it works here, and that's ok, because I have no idea how your system works either.  

What is it with Americans who presume outsiders know nothing 'bout the place?  

FFS, all you need is eyes and ears.   Such narrow minded thinking it's scary.  And ignorant.  

• Like 2