Greasy Lake Community

The Official 2020 NHL Tread

Jimmy James

I saw this in an article on ESPN about the game.  It seems like something Yogi Berra would say.

"This has been the most difficult weather circumstance we've had -- and it's a beautiful day," Bettman said. "The cloud cover is everywhere but where the sun is."

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

I saw this in an article on ESPN about the game.  It seems like something Yogi Berra would say.

"This has been the most difficult weather circumstance we've had -- and it's a beautiful day," Bettman said. "The cloud cover is everywhere but where the sun is."

I didn't make the Yogi connection, nice one, but yeah I thought it was kind of an odd statement.

• 2 weeks later...

The Penguins will have fans for the 20 home games they have left, PA has changed the guidelines on gatherings and is allowing 15% capacity so they can have 2800 fans in the building.

The ruling also applies to the Flyers, unless the city of Philadelphia doesn't allow it.

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

The Penguins will have fans for the 20 home games they have left, PA has changed the guidelines on gatherings and is allowing 15% capacity so they can have 2800 fans in the building.

The ruling also applies to the Flyers, unless the city of Philadelphia doesn't allow it.

Vegas had fans at their home game last night

6 minutes ago, DarknessandHope said:

Vegas had fans at their home game last night

Blues have had like a couple thousand or so since mid February, mostly all special invites(free). Healthcare workers and 1st responders. 

• 3 weeks later...

During the Penguins game last night one of the Pens gave what looked to me like a clean hit on one of the Bruins.  There was no penalty called initially but play was stopped because the Bruin player was injured.

While the Boston staff was checking on their player the refs went to video review and ended up calling a 5 minute major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.

I saw 2 articles today, one from a Pittsburgh writer, and one from a Boston writer, both thought it was a clean hit.

Article from a Boston writer - BHN Daily: Sid The Kid Sounds Off On NHL Inconsistency

Article from a Pittsburgh writer - WHAT A TERRIBLE CALL

The Boston article also mentions that one of the refs for the game was also a ref for the game were Tom Wilson of the Caps went head hunting and wasn't given a penalty, but was suspended 7 games.

Here is a Tweet that has video of the hit.

2 hours ago, burghfan said:

During the Penguins game last night one of the Pens gave what looked to me like a clean hit on one of the Bruins.  There was no penalty called initially but play was stopped because the Bruin player was injured.

While the Boston staff was checking on their player the refs went to video review and ended up calling a 5 minute major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.

I saw 2 articles today, one from a Pittsburgh writer, and one from a Boston writer, both thought it was a clean hit.

Article from a Boston writer - BHN Daily: Sid The Kid Sounds Off On NHL Inconsistency

Article from a Pittsburgh writer - WHAT A TERRIBLE CALL

The Boston article also mentions that one of the refs for the game was also a ref for the game were Tom Wilson of the Caps went head hunting and wasn't given a penalty, but was suspended 7 games.

Here is a Tweet that has video of the hit.

Looked like a good hit to me. Unfortunate for Tinordi but Tanev threw a clean check. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Sorry to hear that.

The Plager brothers and the early 70's Penguins just did not like each other.  Fights were a common thing at their games.  One incident I remember in particular that I was at was a game the Pens were winning handily.  Brother Barclay was really POed at the ref over some calls and late in the game he blatantly fired a slap shot right at the ref who was nowhere near the goal.  They of course threw him out, and as he skated off the ice to the boos from the Pens fans, he went up on one skate and bent over and pointed to his posterior to show us what we could do. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this headline on ESPN.

More than half of Vancouver Canucks' players test positive for COVID-19, source says

The article says 16 players, at least 3 coaches, and several family members have tested positive.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who don’t read the footie threads ... shame on you

oh and nbc is giving up on hockey to tnt and tbs... so exiting the studios they have with the footie and laying off peeps

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Wilson was been doing Tom Wilson things again Monday.  The Rangers were not happy with him, and the NHL for only fining him and not suspending him.  They played again Wednesday, 5 fights started 1 second after the puck dropped to start the game.  Another one started a few seconds after Wilson took the ice, took a little bit for a Ranger to get to him.  There was another fight a few minutes later.  There were 72 penalty minutes handed out in the first 4:14 of the game.

• Like 1

The Rangers issued a statement saying that they were not happy with the punishment given to Wilson, $5,000 fine and no suspension.  The NHL didn't like the statement the Rangers issued so gave them a $250,000 fine.

5 hours ago, burghfan said:

The Rangers issued a statement saying that they were not happy with the punishment given to Wilson, $5,000 fine and no suspension.  The NHL didn't like the statement the Rangers issued so gave them a $250,000 fine.

The NHL is a joke in the way it refuses to get people like Wilson out of the league.  But given who is doling out the punishment, this isn't surprising.  George Parros, the "head of player safety" for the league, had quite the career.  In 474 games as a player, he racked up 1,092 penalty minutes while scoring a whopping 36 total points.  There's no way he should be in this position and the Rangers were absolutely correct to call for his firing after this embarrassment. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Washington hasn't been eliminated, but they look like they are done.  From the bench Ovi cussed out the goalie for giving up a weak goal in the 2nd OT to lose game 3.  They lost game 4 4-1 and now trail 3-1 in the series, and the game didn't look as close as the score.  The Caps had a power play with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game, pulled the goalie so they had a 2 man advantage.  They didn't get a shot on goal during the power play and Boston missed a couple chances for an empty net goal.  Right after the game ended they showed Ovi on the bench, it looked like he said a word that rhymes with duck.

26 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Washington hasn't been eliminated, but they look like they are done.  From the bench Ovi cussed out the goalie for giving up a weak goal in the 2nd OT to lose game 3.  They lost game 4 4-1 and now trail 3-1 in the series, and the game didn't look as close as the score.  The Caps had a power play with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game, pulled the goalie so they had a 2 man advantage.  They didn't get a shot on goal during the power play and Boston missed a couple chances for an empty net goal.  Right after the game ended they showed Ovi on the bench, it looked like he said a word that rhymes with duck.

Probably puck.

I always enjoy being able to post this.  the Pens may not make it out of the 1st round but they lasted longer than the Caps.

cv6.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, burghfan said:

I always enjoy being able to post this.  the Pens may not make it out of the 1st round but they lasted longer than the Caps.

Well if Jarry keeps assisting on the goals scored against himself, it will be over tomorrow.  What a horrible way to lose any game, much less a pivotal game 5 in OT.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, burghfan said:

Right after the game ended they showed Ovi on the bench, it looked like he said a word that rhymes with duck.

Ovi is a clown.  Did you see his reaction when their goalie screwed up in the OT of game 3 that lost them the game?  He was cussing out his own teammate on national TV, just what you want your captain to be doing.

58 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Well if Jarry keeps assisting on the goals scored against himself, it will be over tomorrow.  What a horrible way to lose any game, much less a pivotal game 5 in OT.

So far I would say that Jarry has had 1 good game out of the 5.