Jimmy James

How do you describe your Bruce Obsession?

If you have a friend or family who doesn't understand our fandom how do you try to describe it? 

This is how I'll describe it: The 1st 32 minutes of 7/1/00. 

Code of Silence
My Love Will Not Let You Down
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Atlantic City

Just listen to it! 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

If you have a friend or family who doesn't understand our fandom how do you try to describe it? 

I'm a member of an online Springsteen forum, I have over a hundred versions of "Born to Run" and I've written too many Bruce Springsteen related blog posts. 

My fandom/obsession is probably best described as "sad as fuck". 

Erm, and you can check out the blogs and help make up for the amount of clicks I'm going to lose this month with no Archive release by going to cantfindtickets.wordpress.com. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

My fandom/obsession is probably best described as "sad as fuck".

That, and being a Sunderland fan :blink:

• Haha 3

I would describe it as having "cooled off" a lot since approximately 2016...

• Sad 1

Non-existent. How times have changed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just say 47 shows and I’ve never seen any other live musician in concert more than twice. 

I love this quote: 

“My life changed because Bruce Springsteen got on a mic in front of me.”

Jimmy Iovine

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Prove it all night with the  78 intro 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

This is how I'll describe it: The 1st 32 minutes of 7/1/00. 

Code of Silence
My Love Will Not Let You Down
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Atlantic City

Just listen to it! 

The roar from the audience at the first notes of Prove It All Night and the Bruuuuuuuuuce as it finished is priceless! And all it takes for me.  

• Love Love Love! 3

I don't describe it by listing any songs.  I describe it in the sense that he nourishes my soul full stop.  

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I would describe my Bruce obsession as a thing of the past. He got older and I got wiser. Last E Street album I really liked was Magic. I still appreciate a new release like "Western Stars" but I am pretty tired of most of the old stuff. My expectations for a new E street album are not high.  I'd probably buy it for old time's sake anyway, but skip any promotion tour for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think obsessions are meant to be explained. He has somehow gotten under my skin, I can't logically explain my adoration for him. 

• Like 7

Like the guy in Blinded by the Light...hearing his songs/music/lyrics for the first time changed my life forever when I was 17 back in 1982.

I am now 55 and nothing has changed since back then. My love of the guys music has only become greater as I have become older and in fact I am probably a bigger fan now than I have ever been. 

Even though I am a christian, Bruce's songs are like an alternative bible to me....a huge, guiding force in my life and a complete inspiration.

I listen to at least one of his songs every day...and I always have to sing along with them. His songs are like a lifelong friend that is always there for me, never lets me down and always makes me feel better when I hear them. I will be forever grateful to my friend at school who loaned me The River way back then.

He is the greatest of all time as far as I am concerned.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I don't think obsessions are meant to be explained. 

Obsessions are also intrusive, unwanted thoughts so not exactly the best word to describe anyone's love for him.

But I'm still obsessed.  

• Like 1

I guess i have a few .....But the first one was :

I Can't go on like this

I'm Thirty Years Old

My Hearts startin' to go on me

I can't .... I can't

Now i don't want you to beg ... I don't want you to beg

Don't You Know that i danced til' quarter to three

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Obsessions are also intrusive, unwanted thoughts so not exactly the best word to describe anyone's love for him.

But I'm still obsessed.  

Obsessions are good because they involve passion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I don't describe it by listing any songs.  I describe it in the sense that he nourishes my soul full stop.  

See I don't know how to describe it, but in song. And maybe even more in live songs and music. As I said above about Prove It All Night. The audience, the song and the energy makes it all happen for me.  

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Obsessions are good because they involve passion.

This is what I tried to argue with my therapist.  No luck for me, I got the intrusive, unwanted thoughts speech obsessions are.  

Not that he has any problem with my obsession for Bruce coz it's a source of joy.  Wanted thoughts aplenty.

• Like 1

I love music . I love live music . I have an eclectic taste . I listen to Bob Dylan, Machine Head, the sisters of mercy, Rammstein , arch enemy, yeah yeah yeahs, pistols , the clash , floyd and zep but no one and I mean no one speaks to me like Bruce does . Bruce reaches my soul , his words are simple but they resonate stronger than all, he is like a friend and on a stage he’s the godamn most badass mutha on this planet..... NO ONE can touch him . If my friends don’t get it tough on them. So my obsession is one of appreciation and thankfulness . 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

An addiction 

In my life (at least since 1978) I have been the most ardent Bruce fan of anyone I personally know. But compared to probably everyone on this board my fandom is humbled. I'm a fan, I'm not obsessed.

• Like 3

I don't want to have an unhealthy obsession toward anything or anyone but I am a music obsessive in general with Bruce at the top.

For instance, you know you're obsessed when a musical great dies and you always have to bring it back to Bruce.  Case in point - today when workmates and me heard on the radio about Neil Peart and saying though we weren't big fans how sad the news was, I had to mention how they're dropping like flies so not one day can I take having Bruce alive for granted.  I coulda just said sorry to hear about Peart but I associate all the older greats to the old codger himself.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I don't want to have an unhealthy obsession toward anything or anyone but I am a music obsessive in general with Bruce at the top.

For instance, you know you're obsessed when a musical great dies and you always have to bring it back to Bruce.  Case in point - today when workmates and me heard on the radio about Neil Peart and saying though we weren't big fans how sad the news was, I had to mention how they're dropping like flies so not one day can I take having Bruce alive for granted.  I coulda just said sorry to hear about Peart but I associate all the older greats to the old codger himself.  

When you think about how many beloved rock stars are over 70 years old its very scary :(

• Sad 1

When people ask what music I like, I tell them 'both kinds... Bruce and Springsteen'.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I guess i have a few .....But the first one was :

I Can't go on like this

I'm Thirty Years Old

My Hearts startin' to go on me

I can't .... I can't

Now i don't want you to beg ... I don't want you to beg

Don't You Know that i danced til' quarter to three

Still the greatest few mins of live performance captured on film by anyone. Ever. 

• Like 3