Sign in to follow this  
High As Hope

Celtic Connections - Bruce 70th Tribute

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but just talking to a friend who goes to Celtic Connections in Glasgow on business & he mentioned that there's a Bruce tribute this year.

Backed by house band Roddy Hart & The Lonesome Fire various artists including Craig Finn of The Hold Steady & Lisa Hannigan will perform Bruce songs alongside their own as a tribute to him turning 70.

The show on Jan 26 has sold out but due to demand a 2nd show on the 27th has been added.

• Like 2

I heard about this (can't recall if it was on here or not) and had hoped to go, but, sadly, personal circumstances have rendered that impractical. 

23 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but just talking to a friend who goes to Celtic Connections in Glasgow on business & he mentioned that there's a Bruce tribute this year.

Backed by house band Roddy Hart & The Lonesome Fire various artists including Craig Finn of The Hold Steady & Lisa Hannigan will perform Bruce songs alongside their own as a tribute to him turning 70.

The show on Jan 26 has sold out but due to demand a 2nd show on the 27th has been added.

Sunday 26th is at the Royal Concert Hall and was sold out before I found out about it, very disappointed, thanks for the info on th 27th as I did not know about it, however it is an all standing show at The Old Fruitmarket (not so good), still tickets available will try to sort something out and see if I can go, thanks again.

Celtic Connections 2020

If ever a birthday called for extended celebrations, it’s surely Bruce Springsteen’s 70th, in September 2019. During his nearly 50-year recording career, The Boss has scored 11 US No.1 albums, winning 20 Grammy awards, two Golden Globes, an Oscar, a Tony and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Roaming Roots Revue 2020 sees an international cast of Springsteen-loving artists take their pick from his peerless back-catalogue, highlighting both its consistent quality and stylistic diversity, alongside selections from their own material. 

With musical direction and house-band backing from Roddy Hart & The Lonesome Fire, the line-up includes beguiling Irish folk-pop songstress Lisa Hannigan, multi-award-winning US singer-songwriter Ryan Bingham, The Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn and folk-rock duo The Rails. Following the Top 40 success of her Scottish Songbook album, our own Karine Polwart continues to expand her palette, while California-based Jonathan Wilson brings his latter-day Laurel Canyon sound to the party, and Glasgow-born Phil Campbell steps out solo from rootsy blues-rockers The Temperance Movement.

The Royal Concert Hall to The Old Fruitmarket?????

That's two diverse venues.

1 minute ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The Royal Concert Hall to The Old Fruitmarket?????

That's two diverse venues.

Yup, really fancied The Royal Concert Hall, but tickets gone in minutes, still just bought tickets for 27th.

Would like to go

Might try and grab a ticket for the 27th but not ideal for uni so might try and grab a return for the 26th instead (keen to see what Karine Polwart decides to do!)

I'm up and down from Dundee loads for Celtic Connections every year (performing in some small things and watching a lot of big things haha)

21 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Yup, really fancied The Royal Concert Hall, but tickets gone in minutes, still just bought tickets for 27th.

Glad you got tickets,will be interesting to see who plays what.

I tried to book for the Monday night show at The Fruitmarket, but this is also sold out (bar wheelchair spaces).

If anyone hears of a spare ticket, I would be grateful for a shout.

4 hours ago, Fifer said:

I tried to book for the Monday night show at The Fruitmarket, but this is also sold out (bar wheelchair spaces).

If anyone hears of a spare ticket, I would be grateful for a shout.

Logged into CC site to try for a ticket for you Fifer, you are quite correct there were only 3 wheelchair tickets left, bummer.

Found this one on Gumtree for The Royal Concert Hall on Sunday 26th.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-concert-tickets/celtic-connections-roaming-roots-revue-born-to-run/1363516682

One for Sunday available on official site also..

https://tickets.glasgowconcerthalls.com/single/SYOS.aspx?p=21113#

Thanks to the good Dr for hunting out, maybe of use to someone else, but I would only be able to make the Monday night show, so still on the lookout

On 1/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, High As Hope said:

Well you got a little more interest then the thread I started back in October :-)

I am looking forward to Sunday's gig very much, but I didn't realise a second night had been added as well.

• Like 1

Was able to pick up a spare at the door for The Old Fruitmarket show last night.

First time at the venue and thought it was great.

Not over familiar with Roddy Hart's work, other than his Radio Scotland show, but his band The Lonesome Fire were first class providing the backdrop to the Springsteen songbook. In addition to the expected classics there were top notch performances of Highway Patrolman, 4th of July Asbury Park, Streets of Philadelphia, Brilliant Disguise, and my personal highlight was Phil Campbell's version of Western Stars (closely followed by Craig Finn's Jungleland).

From the opening chords to Growing Up to the close of Thunder Road 3 and a half hours later, the respectful, sold out audience were treated to a musical treat and fantastic 70th birthday tribute that will live long in the memory.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Sounds like a great night!

Just read a piece on the Sunday Post website, the drummer, Scott, had just finished playing BTR and said it was the most exciting song he had ever played - I like them already!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Sounds like a great night!

Just read a piece on the Sunday Post website, the drummer, Scott, had just finished playing BTR and said it was the most exciting song he had ever played - I like them already!

It was a great night and I hunted down the Sunday Post preview piece which gives a flavour of the shows

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/hail-to-the-boss-roddy-hart-on-the-secret-of-springsteens-songbook-as-twin-tribute-shows-celebrate-his-70th-birthday/

7 hours ago, Fifer said:

Craig Finn's Jungleland.

:o:D:D:o:D:D

Wow..........

Someone I know was there on Sunday night...texted me to say it was fantastic.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to make a hash of this, but the setlist should hopefully appear somewhere within this post...? :ph34r:

I went through on Sunday. Top performances all round. I'm not one for tribute-type things (they usually come across a bit karaokeish to me) and was expecting it to feel pretty flat, but the musicianship was top notch, the volume was high and the singalongs were great fun. 

IMG-20200128-WA0016.jpg

• Like 3

Rats - I dithered about whether to try and get a ticket to see this, and wasn't sure if I'd be around at all for the original concert date, but that looks to have been a great tribute set and another 'one that got away'. 

Wish I'd been able to go if just to hear Karine Polwart and The Rails - LOVE Karine and think she'd do fantastic versions of Tom Joad and The Rising

Glad you managed to get a ticket Fifer, saw the girl at the table just inside the door with a pile of tickets, did not know if they were for sale of just ticket collection, anyways as you now know you made it to a great night, here is the Scotsman review :-

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/music/celtic-connections-review-the-roaming-roots-revue-presents-born-to-run-70th-birthday-tribute-to-bruce-springsteen-old-fruitmarket-glasgow-1-5083758

My favs were TGOTJ, Racing In The Streets,Tougher and I`m On Fire all great versions you coukls see that every artist involved put their heart and soul into it, also liked the bit about Born To Run in the article that all standing crowd at night 2 in The Old Fruitmarket really got into this one and I think the whole band were surprised, amazed and very happy at the volume of the crowd reaction, only, minor, down side was the crowd missing their cue for the last two lines of Thunder Road, I am sure Roddy was disappointed also, but a great and very tiring night. 

• Like 1