Sign in to follow this  
JimCT

Barcelona to sack Valverde

that was fast

Barcelona confirm appoint of Setien

Barcelona have appointed former Real Betis manager Quique Setien as their new head coach to replace Ernesto Valverde.

The La Liga champions confirmed the sacking of Valverde on Monday evening, with the 55-year-old departing the Nou Camp after a board meeting was held earlier in the day to discuss his future.

22 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't follow this league, so why did this happen? Top of the table isn't good enough? 

If you just look at the bare numbers (1st in the league, through to the knock-out rounds in the CL), it might seem like a ridiculous decision. But the truth is, that this decision should have been made last summer. But once again this useless board of directors showed that even when they do the right thing they do it the wrong way.

When Valverde took over in 2017 Barça were in turmoil. Neymar left and the team got totally outplayed by Real in the Supercopa. But he steadied the ship and did very good work. They won the league almost unbeated and won the Cup. The 0-3 disaster in Rome, which many blamed Valverde for, was just a continuation of the downward trend that this team had been in for a few years already.

The 18/19 season, despite winning the league again, showed why Valverde was not the right guy for the job anymore. First of all he fell short too many times when it was up to him to adjust tactically within a match. He also committed the same mistakes over and over again. At Anfield he lined up the team in a way that had been exposed by teams playing in a similar way to Liverpool for many times. And let's be honest: If it weren't for Messi and LIverpool wasting good opportunities in the first leg, the aggregate result of both legs would have been embarrassing.

Another thing Valverde has to take blame for: he failed to improve any of his players. Dembele and Coutinho were bought for a combined sum close to 300 million. Dembele, despite being very talented, hasn't lived up to expectations. Coutinho is already out on loan and can be considered the biggest transfer flop in the club's history. Griezmann is a shadow of the player he can be and Frankie de Jong looks just like an average midfielder, not the generational talent that he actually is.

Part of that is also the fault of the board, because they've bought players that don't really fit into the system, or thrive in positions that are taken by other players. When you need a left winger, why buy Griezmann, who's best position is already occupied by none other than Messi?

And the last point is the one that actually bothers me the most. Youth players have been totally neglected by Valverde. Like already Luis Enrique, Valverde is very conservative, or even cowardly. He will always opt for the aged veteran over the young prospect. A good dozen of very talented players have been sent out on loan or sold in the last years. Underperforming veterans like Pique, Busquets or Alba are still guaranteed a place in the starting XI, despite young talent being more than ready to make the next step. Grimaldo, Adama, Carles Alena, Riqui Puig, Sergi Samper, Todibo (bought from Lyon and now sold to Schalke), etc. didn't even get a chance.

Now the team is old and slow. The players that make up the spine of the team are all 30+. No wonder they get overrun by teams like Liverpool. And you will see: it will happen again in this years CL.

Again, part of this is also the boards fault. They spent millions upon millions on players like Andre Gomes or Arda Turan, rather than trusting their own academy. But then it needs a coach with balls who doesn't care. Pep put players like Henry and Toure on the bench to start Pedro and Busquets in 2008.

Valverde had to go. But not now. And the way they treated him? Already negotiating with other managers before even informing him? It just shows again what type of people are running that club. As long as they are in charge, I don't see any improvement. On the contrary. They have not yet started to prepare for the time after Messi. Messi's retirement will immensly impact that club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

If you just look at the bare numbers (1st in the league, through to the knock-out rounds in the CL), it might seem like a ridiculous decision. But the truth is, that this decision should have been made last summer. But once again this useless board of directors showed that even when they do the right thing they do it the wrong way.

When Valverde took over in 2017 Barça were in turmoil. Neymar left and the team got totally outplayed by Real in the Supercopa. But he steadied the ship and did very good work. They won the league almost unbeated and won the Cup. The 0-3 disaster in Rome, which many blamed Valverde for, was just a continuation of the downward trend that this team had been in for a few years already.

The 18/19 season, despite winning the league again, showed why Valverde was not the right guy for the job anymore. First of all he fell short too many times when it was up to him to adjust tactically within a match. He also committed the same mistakes over and over again. At Anfield he lined up the team in a way that had been exposed by teams playing in a similar way to Liverpool for many times. And let's be honest: If it weren't for Messi and LIverpool wasting good opportunities in the first leg, the aggregate result of both legs would have been embarrassing.

Another thing Valverde has to take blame for: he failed to improve any of his players. Dembele and Coutinho were bought for a combined sum close to 300 million. Dembele, despite being very talented, hasn't lived up to expectations. Coutinho is already out on loan and can be considered the biggest transfer flop in the club's history. Griezmann is a shadow of the player he can be and Frankie de Jong looks just like an average midfielder, not the generational talent that he actually is.

Part of that is also the fault of the board, because they've bought players that don't really fit into the system, or thrive in positions that are taken by other players. When you need a left winger, why buy Griezmann, who's best position is already occupied by none other than Messi?

And the last point is the one that actually bothers me the most. Youth players have been totally neglected by Valverde. Like already Luis Enrique, Valverde is very conservative, or even cowardly. He will always opt for the aged veteran over the young prospect. A good dozen of very talented players have been sent out on loan or sold in the last years. Underperforming veterans like Pique, Busquets or Alba are still guaranteed a place in the starting XI, despite young talent being more than ready to make the next step. Grimaldo, Adama, Carles Alena, Riqui Puig, Sergi Samper, Todibo (bought from Lyon and now sold to Schalke), etc. didn't even get a chance.

Now the team is old and slow. The players that make up the spine of the team are all 30+. No wonder they get overrun by teams like Liverpool. And you will see: it will happen again in this years CL.

Again, part of this is also the boards fault. They spent millions upon millions on players like Andre Gomes or Arda Turan, rather than trusting their own academy. But then it needs a coach with balls who doesn't care. Pep put players like Henry and Toure on the bench to start Pedro and Busquets in 2008.

Valverde had to go. But not now. And the way they treated him? Already negotiating with other managers before even informing him? It just shows again what type of people are running that club. As long as they are in charge, I don't see any improvement. On the contrary. They have not yet started to prepare for the time after Messi. Messi's retirement will immensly impact that club.

I agree with all you say Leo, but I would also add what I said in the other thread, that the downward spiral started with the departure of the great Xavi and was further hastened with the departure of the imperious Iniesta, these two were the heartbeat of the team and Leo Messi was the icing on the cake. These things tend to go in cycles and I agree that in order to try and get some sort of replacemants for Xavi and Iniesta they need to look at their youth players and give them the opportunity to progress.

17 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I agree with all you say Leo, but I would also add what I said in the other thread, that the downward spiral started with the departure of the great Xavi and was further hastened with the departure of the imperious Iniesta, these two were the heartbeat of the team and Leo Messi was the icing on the cake. These things tend to go in cycles and I agree that in order to try and get some sort of replacemants for Xavi and Iniesta they need to look at their youth players and give them the opportunity to progress.

I totally agree. These three, at the peak of their careers, were probably the best footballing trio ever.

There are many who think Valverde had to be sacked because Barça don't play anymore like they did under Pep. That's stupid. Because they will NEVER play like this again. I'd even go so far to say that no team will play like this again.