Greasy Lake Community

I think the biggest issue with certain artists is their inclusion prior to those for whom they may not gotten to where they were without.  Depeche mode is a solid choice.  But you can't omit Kraftwerk and induct Depeche Mode. 

Pat Benatar held the mantle as essentially one a handful of female rock stars for a period of time. If Joan Jett is in , there is zero reason Benatar should not be in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Flea said:

No Zevon, no legitimacy.

Politics. Not a mainstream artist. Didn't sell enough records. He'll get in, but it'll take awhile. The Doobies' first year of eligibility was 1997. Check back in about 7-10 yrs.

10 hours ago, JustDan said:

Politics. Not a mainstream artist. Didn't sell enough records. He'll get in, but it'll take awhile. The Doobies' first year of eligibility was 1997. Check back in about 7-10 yrs.

I'm not sure mainstream matters with Warren. I mean Leonard Cohen is in and was far from mainstream. Didn't sell enough. I truly cant figure out the voting. In the end I'm not losing sleep but its interesting. 

• Like 1

Are Nine Inch Nails mainstream? :D

Glad they (Trent really) got in, but I agree some of the general choices are baffling In who gets in and who doesn’t and when all of this occurs! 

Was thinking about the lean towards rap and "pop" artists like Whitney Houston. If you don't start doing that you will run out of artists to induct. There remains a number of "older" rock artist who should be in however in the last several years there are no rock artists who have made any amazing impact. That's also a sign of the times. Rock Artists don't sell albums, hell nobody does, they don't have hits, there isn't rock radio much anymore. 

I don't know why but I'm fascinated by this conversation. Is it more that She is not "Rock and Roll" or is it that she got in prior to some others. My leaning is more that there are others who should be in before she is.  I know its called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but there have been numerous others inducted over the years that aren't really anymore rock and roll than Madonna or Janet Jackson or Whitney Houston. Hell Jimmy Cliff and Bob Marley are in. There music is called Reggae and if you called it any other you would be corrected immediately. Louis Armstrong is in as an early influence. Jazz influenced rock and roll, rock and roll influenced something else which influenced something else. Cat Stevens? Johnny Cash spent a huge part of his career as a country artist. Doo Wop is that rick and roll? Miles Davis is in. Tom Waits? Leonard Cohen? Scroll through the inductees over the years. Its always been all over the map. There seems to be a bit more of back lash towards the "newer" Pop artists and not so much the older music inductees but is it really that different. 

BTW I could really care less about Whitney Houston getting in or not. I just think its an interesting conversation. 

47 minutes ago, Kooly said:

Time to close up shop, boys.

20 minutes ago, Kooly said:

16 minutes ago, Kooly said:

Either get a new needle cartridge or buy a new record.....For the love-a-christ.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

And yet, I agree with that broken record!

22 minutes ago, THUE said:

before they close up shop. 

200.webp?cid=790b7611ecc1ea406f01a7ddf43

22 hours ago, THUE said:

Pat Benatar held the mantle as essentially one a handful of female rock stars for a period of time. If Joan Jett is in , there is zero reason Benatar should not be in.

I'm disappointed they've overlooked her, but I expect she will be inducted at some point.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kooly said:

Time to close up shop.

Kooly is going with the Dave Mathews Band end of song response pattern. long, boring and repetitive. 

21 hours ago, JustDan said:

Zevon isn't in because he pissed off Jann Wenner in the 80's.  

I just read The Who and The Foo Fighters Are playing at the New Orleans JAZZ fest. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo