Sign in to follow this  
zzcoolness

Did anyone else start listening to The Gaslight Anthem after the Hyde Park show?

Recently watched the video of No Surrender with Brian Fallon and actually am sad that there won't be anymore Gaslight Anthem Albums. :-(

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I was listening to GA since early on and things really came to a natural end.

Their last couple of albums were a bit Meh.

Also, with the internal domestic machinations it was hard to see how they could continue.

Worry not though, go check out Brian's solo body of work.

Very good.

• Like 2

No, but I absolutely adore that performance and watch it fairly often, the clip alone not the DVD. 

Went to see them at the Corn Exchange Edinburgh a few years later, after just catching the end of their performance at Hyde Park, with Bruce playing on '59 Sound

Good live band

I love it when Steven was playing and looked at Bruce while Brian was singing and shook his head as in wow he's great. 

Pretty much. Bruce and Brian's "No Surrender" and Bruce professing Gaslight as the future of rock and roll made them must listen for a young me. 

I didn't love all of their material and I honestly can't remember if I listened much to Get Hurt or Fallon's solo work at all. 

But man, I'd go as far as to say the likes of "The '59 Sound", "Meet Me By The River's Edge", "45" and "Handwritten" are some of my favourite songs of all time. I've got great memories of listening to them - and Gaslight's other music - in the summer of 2013 alongside Bruce and that Kilkenny #2 bootleg. Hell, I can even remember playing as I walked to Uni on my first day. A band for new beginnings. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fifer said:

Went to see them at the Corn Exchange Edinburgh a few years later, after just catching the end of their performance at Hyde Park, with Bruce playing on '59 Sound

Good live band

Richie  I saw them live three times total, twice at the Academy in the weeg and once in that place at the foot of Lothian Road, just down from Usher........can't remember the name of the place....... is it The Picture House?

The two Glasgow gigs were rotten, the Embra one was ok but I left thinking more about the support act, Chuck Ragan.

I put the Glasgow experiences down to the venue, until a wee while later I saw Jason Isbell tear it up there.

Thing is, I've heard many people rave about their live efforts, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

Album wise, their opening triumvirate are awesome.

IMHO Handwritten is a dog of an album, Get Hurt a bit of a Curate's Egg (personally, I'd have entitled it "Can you feel Divorce") neither of them holding a candle to Brian's solo body of work.

It was just hard to see how they could've carried on in the circumstances, sad but they've left a decent legacy of work.

They went downhill album after album post '59 Sound. Brian's solo albums are great, and his solo acoustic show last Spring was fantastic. 

Saw the '59 Sound reunion show summer 2018, played the album in full and tore up Vicar Street in Dublin. 

Definitely check out Painkillers and Sleepwalkers. Another album due early this year too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, risingaurora said:

They went downhill album after album post '59 Sound. Brian's solo albums are great, and his solo acoustic show last Spring was fantastic. 

Saw the '59 Sound reunion show summer 2018, played the album in full and tore up Vicar Street in Dublin. 

Definitely check out Painkillers and Sleepwalkers. Another album due early this year too.

I've heard a lot of his solo work and I really like most of it!

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I was listening to GA since early on and things really came to a natural end.

Their last couple of albums were a bit Meh.

Also, with the internal domestic machinations it was hard to see how they could continue.

Worry not though, go check out Brian's solo body of work.

Very good.

The last few could have been better, but completely agree, with the disputes that went down towards the end, it was understandable why they broke up. 

The Gaslight Anthem are one of my all time favourite bands and I’d actually disagree with the consensus here and say I love their last two albums, too - Handwritten is a fantastic album full stop and Get Hurt, although admittedly half-cooked, has some great moments. 

That said, you simply cannot beat the ‘59 Sound - one of my favourite albums of all time

You should check out their first album, Sink or Swim, which is lesser known and slightly less polished

I also like Brian Fallon’s solo work, I just think he’s a fantastic writer

• Like 2

While I agree the last 2 GA albums saw them on a downward curve, there’s still much to be enjoyed.

The solo records are also excellent, imho, with a third, ‘Local Honey’ due March. Lead single’s out. Touring in the UK again late May with the current band. Worth catching his solo shows too. Union Chapel last year was a 2019 gig highlight for me. Bath not so much thanks to some neds in the audience.

• Like 1