Greasy Lake Community

The Killers New Album "Sounds Like Bruce Springsteen"

2 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

Some sort of performance (live, taped?) on the Today show, tomorrow June 16 

Looking forward to it being posted on here. :)

Just had a listen, I hadn’t heard the track previously: I like it.

Whether Bruce was necessary is a different subject. 
after hearing Bruce’s voice on this and on Chinatown girl, I have concerns on his voice holding up on a long tour.

still, as long as he brings the band, I’m sure it will work out.

3 minutes ago, Stranger in town said:

Just had a listen, I hadn’t heard the track previously: I like it.

Whether Bruce was necessary is a different subject. 
after hearing Bruce’s voice on this and on Chinatown girl, I have concerns on his voice holding up on a long tour.

still, as long as he brings the band, I’m sure it will work out.

I like Chinatown a lot more than this. In fact, I like Chinatown better than anything on LTY.

'I have always sought to find and reflect that elusive light in my songs. It’s a trait I inherited from my mother Jean. She died from a brain tumor back in 2010 at the age of 64… Sixty Four! I’m turning 40 next week and I’m starting to realize just how young that is. Too young. She was married to my father Terry for 44 of those years. Dustland was written in the middle of her battle with cancer. It was an attempt to better understand my dad, who is sometimes a mystery to me. To grieve for my mother. To acknowledge their sacrifices and maybe even catch a glimpse of just how strong love needs to be to make it in this world. It was my therapy. It was cathartic.

That’s where Bruce comes in. Before I really became a fan of his, I was in the business of stadium-size everything. Larger than life EVERYTHING. Certainly larger than the lives of Jeannie and Terry Flowers. But Bruce has written a lot about people like my parents and found a whole lot of beauty in otherwise invisible people’s hopes and dreams. Their struggles, and their losses.

I’m grateful to him for opening this door for me. I’m grateful to my parents for their example to me. Now go find something new out about your dad, give your mom a big hug, and for god’s sake listen to Bruce Springsteen.'

He also says that Bruce said he'd love to join him on Dustland Fairytale after watching The Killers at Glastonbury. I'd been wondering why they chose that song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

A bit underwhelming. I'm not a big fan of the song first of all. It's good but I don't think it's as great and epic as the arrangement and production makes it sound like. Also Bruce's vocals don't sit that well in the mix compared to Brandon's vocals. It kinda sounds like Bruce is doing a karaoke version at home (especially when they're singing in unison), which I guess is pretty close to the truth, but usually a good production can cover that up. Also Bruce sounds a bit frail but I guess that was to be expected and I don't necessarily think it's an entirely bad thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Also Bruce sounds a bit frail but I guess that was to be expected and I don't necessarily think it's an entirely bad thing.

I made do with an 'Oh' in my post when I was listening to it. I HAD put that Bruce sounded old but knew that wasn't the word I was after.

Frail - that's the word. Not that that's a bad thing - it added to the song.

I don't think it's a massive song ... I've always loved it because of the meaning behind it. It's a very pretty, tear-inducing ballad when sung by Brandon. It's just good to see them both together again.

• Like 1

I'm totally overwhelmed.

I love these 2 men dearly and, although they're not together as such, this video absolutely thrills me.

The whole thing sounds so much better now that I've been able to see it at the same time.

Love you, Brandon and Bruce. Thank you. xx

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

I haven't logged on here for a while now (definitely since pre pandemic- a lot has certainly changed in the world! I hope that you've all been doing well!) but after listening to Dustland I felt compelled to have a look and see what you all thought about it. It seems like I'm in agreement with most of you: I like the song, love Brandon and The Killers but slightly concerned/disappointed by how weak Bruce's voice sounds. I know that the days of 4 hour shows are over, but like @Stranger in town said, I hope his voice is going to hold up well enough to be able to tour when corona is over :( On the other hand, I thought his voice sounded fine in Chinatown (which I absolutely LOVE and have been playing on repeat since it was released) so it may just be the contrast with Brandon's very strong vocals making it seem worse than it is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eileen said:

I'm totally overwhelmed.

I love these 2 men dearly and, although they're not together as such, this video absolutely thrills me.

The whole thing sounds so much better now that I've been able to see it at the same time.

Love you, Brandon and Bruce. Thank you. xx

I agree. Much better now.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tenth Avenue said:

I haven't logged on here for a while now (definitely since pre pandemic- a lot has certainly changed in the world! I hope that you've all been doing well!) but after listening to Dustland I felt compelled to have a look and see what you all thought about it. It seems like I'm in agreement with most of you: I like the song, love Brandon and The Killers but slightly concerned/disappointed by how weak Bruce's voice sounds. I know that the days of 4 hour shows are over, but like @Stranger in town said, I hope his voice is going to hold up well enough to be able to tour when corona is over :( On the other hand, I thought his voice sounded fine in Chinatown (which I absolutely LOVE and have been playing on repeat since it was released) so it may just be the contrast with Brandon's very strong vocals making it seem worse than it is.

Hope you’re doing well too. 

I completely agree with you. Especially the in the first part of the song his voice sounds weak. 
Yet, it does has a very special touch to it. A sound i haven’t heard from him before. So im hoping it is a ‘new’ kind of singing technique he is applying. 

Apart from that, i love how Chinatown is a typical Bleachers song and Dustland a typical Killers song and on both Bruce is stealing the show :).