Sign in to follow this  
BrilliantDisguise

The Killers New Album "Sounds Like Bruce Springsteen"

2 minutes ago, LoverInTheCold said:

When Sam's Town came out, Brandon mentioned the album was heavily Springsteen influenced, which raised some eyebrows back then and was the whole reason I got into The Killers.

I was introduced to them by my son who suggested I might like Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll … and I did. Nothing like a Springsteen song and I was still smitten. :)

• Love Love Love! 1

(Re: previous post).

At the Stone Pony...for a moment I thought it said: Brandon Flowers covering Bruce Springsteen's Pony Boy..... (Yes, really! No joke).

:D So happy to see these videos getting another airing.

Change the name of the band.....Worst name for a band since the Dead Kennedys, the Mucus Membranes & the Skid Marks.

I do have to say, when I tell people about The Killers, their first thoughts are some acid rock/heavy metal music. 

12 hours ago, JustDan said:

Change the name of the band.....Worst name for a band since the Dead Kennedys, the Mucus Membranes & the Skid Marks.

Spandau Ballet gets my vote for a yuk name.

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

Spandau Ballet gets my vote for a yuk name.

Aye. It's pretty disgusting. In this age of PC I'm surprised that they've never been seriously challenged over it.

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. It's pretty disgusting. In this age of PC I'm surprised that they've never been seriously challenged over it.

Wow, never heard of this before. Just goggled it. Wow. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, Nicholas said:

The band's fourth album, Battle Born, is such a heartland rock album that the Springsteen influences just bleed through. From Brandon Flowers quoting "no surrender 'cause there's no retreat" on the opening track to the obvious Bruce songwriting influence on "Runaways" to a handful of others, it holds up with any Gaslight Anthem album as the best non-Bruce-but-still-Bruce project in recent years.

Brandon has been an unabashed fan of the Boss for years, gushing about Nebraska and whatnot in interviews and clearly incorporating elements of the man's music into his own.

Sign me up for more, please.

Actually I thought Sam's Town was their real "Springsteen" album.   I enjoyed Battle Born, but I thought some of it was straying into Steinman/Meatloaf territory...

• Like 2

My son, who I have educated well to be both a Springsteen and Killers fan, keeps telling me how good "Wonderful Wonderful" is. Sadly I have to reply "Bollocks, Bollocks"

• Sad 1

Just now, thomam said:

My son, who I have raised well to be both a Springsteen and Killers fan, keeps telling me how good "Wonderful Wonderful" is. Sadly I have to reply "Bollocks, Bollocks"

5 hours ago, thomam said:

My son, who I have educated well to be both a Springsteen and Killers fan, keeps telling me how good "Wonderful Wonderful" is. Sadly I have to reply "Bollocks, Bollocks"

Your son's right. :)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Your son's right. :)

Bollocks :D

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, Nicholas said:

I was there that night in the front row. Thanks for the memories! 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:27 AM, thomam said:

Me to your son

0VV9CVv.jpg.dde2fbc1e60855596262bc6c1effa715.jpg

• Like 1

See it maybe only me, but I don't hear Bruce in any of their music! 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You're right. It's only you :D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

If you're trying to hear Bruce in the singing, you won't. It's in the 'feel' - the music style, the lyrics. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eileen said:

If you're trying to hear Bruce in the singing, you won't. It's in the 'feel' - the music style, the lyrics. 

No. that's what I thought people were talking about, music and possible lyric's 

But this is my favorite Killer song right now. May change later, like Bruce tunes do. I don't hear it. And maybe this is a bad example. 

It's not every song, @Jimmy James. I love this one, too - it's fantastic live.

The one way ALL their songs are like Bruce songs is the effect they have on me. :) This one does that.

• Like 1

Battle Born is their best followed closely by Sam's Town. Wonderful Wonderful is the worst even though I absolutely love 6 songs from it - from Rut to Some Kind of Love it is excellent and of course the final track. Love Brandon's both solo albums - The Desired Effect more. And Keuning's Prismism is great one too. 

• Like 1

Rut...... I always forget about that tune and how great it is. Know maybe this is a Bruce type tune. I can also see him covering it. 

• Like 2

Last year's "Land of the Free" single, which was linked somewhere earlier in this thread, is very Bruce on the sound and the vocals IMO.

• Like 1

Heart Of A Girl from Battle Born is magnificent. Not necessarily Springsteen like, although it does use the word 'Daddy' in the same old school Bruce way to refer to a boyfriend type figure as opposed to male parent. 

• Like 2