Greasy Lake Community

The Killers New Album "Sounds Like Bruce Springsteen"

2 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Why isn't this thread in the JukeBox forum? Are we allowing extended threads on other artists in the Bruce-only forum now? I'm confused.

Bruce and Steve say it's alright.

springsteen-flowers-thunder-road-compressed.jpg

• Like 2

Cool album.

On a second listen, I already like this better than the last one and I expect with a few more listens I'll place this above Battle Born also.

As for sounding like Springsteen? TBH, aside from parts of the Sam's Town album, I've never understood the Springsteen / Killers comparison. Only on a very surface level... if your entire knowledge of Bruce is limited to Badlands, Born To Run and Dancing In The Dark plus the fact that Bruce sometimes references America lyrically.

This album more sounds like I'm suddenly back in 1982 listening to some New Wave radio station. (And, for my tastes, it's a happy place).

Dude can write a chorus, that's for sure. And then doubles down on the outro. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Cool album.

On a second listen, I already like this better than the last one and I expect with a few more listens I'll place this above Battle Born also.

As for sounding like Springsteen? TBH, aside from parts of the Sam's Town album, I've never understood the Springsteen / Killers comparison. Only on a very surface level... if your entire knowledge of Bruce is limited to Badlands, Born To Run and Dancing In The Dark plus the fact that Bruce sometimes references America lyrically.

This album more sounds like I'm suddenly back in 1982 listening to some New Wave radio station. (And, for my tastes, it's a happy place).

Any band, especially an indy band, who claims some kind of inspiration from Bruce, is guaranteed a few thousand extra sales

4 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Any band, especially an indy band, who claims some kind of inspiration from Bruce, is guaranteed a few thousand extra sales

I think you'll find that most Killers fans don't regard the band as having any likeness to Bruce - they love the band as it is, as it's been for years.

I've just listened to it through once and like you, @Stevie54, I can't play it loud cos the cats wouldn't thank me. I'll stick the headphones on later and take another listen. My favourites are the ones that haven't got loads of people mentioned as helping to write the songs. The first track, caution and the last song are fantastic - I'll see what I think of the others over the weekend.

Thanks Brandon - another fabulous album!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Johnstown Company said:

It's a decent rather than outstanding album imo. Best track being Cautious which does sound a little like Bruce lyrically with references to burning the town down. 

Is that an extra song on a dearer album? ;)

3 minutes ago, Johnstown Company said:

Sorry my mistake, Caution not Cautious, track 4.

Just me pulling your leg. I've had a grin on my face since clapping eyes on the album in the shop.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johnstown Company said:

Yes it is funny reading it back now! I blame my auto spelling thingy on my phone.

No matter now, but just be glad you got the punctuation correct, or the punctuation police would have you in lockdown and we don`t like the sight of blood around here.;)

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:00 AM, Bosstralian said:

The last four lines will be a hoot if they ever tour again. Reminds me of 'From the very very young ...'

On 8/23/2020 at 1:01 AM, Eileen said:

I think you'll find that most Killers fans don't regard the band as having any likeness to Bruce - they love the band as it is, as it's been for years.

I've just listened to it through once and like you, @Stevie54, I can't play it loud cos the cats wouldn't thank me. I'll stick the headphones on later and take another listen. My favourites are the ones that haven't got loads of people mentioned as helping to write the songs. The first track, caution and the last song are fantastic - I'll see what I think of the others over the weekend.

Thanks Brandon - another fabulous album!

Yeh I wasn't really expressing an opinion on the actual similarities... just that the band themselves (or their publicists) love to bring it up.   They did it with Sam's Town, I think they did it with Battle Born, and they've done it with this... (regarding likeness though, I think Brandon models himself on Bruce for intensity in performance; and the descending chords in the middle section of When You  Were Young sounds to me like a tribute to Born to Run)

8 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

and the descending chords in the middle section of When You  Were Young sounds to me like a tribute to Born to Run)

Yes, and he missed those chords out of it on Abbey Road - he said so but thought it wouldn't matter. It did. Some of us noticed.  ;)

I'm often hearing bits of other people's songs ... Ooooo the Israelites - have you heard that one yet? No it's not, I knew it was a Bruce one ... it's Ooooo growing up. Think it's Dying Breed.

Even the tipping of the stetson - his tip of the hat to Bruce.

This is not the Killers but crikey - first time I've heard this version of the song, last words, especially, sound like Bruce.

What a bloomin' wonderful version - yes, I know the G&R one. When Chris sings 'fine' and 'patience' - so like Bruce.

• Like 1

I am loving the new album. Some songs venture into War on Drugs territory, others into Talking Heads, Brian Fallon, others into Sam Fender, others into Bruce. 

This songs sounds like something Bruce could have produced in 78-80 and put on Tracks side 2 alongside Loose Ends, Take Em As They Come, Be True and Ricky.

23 minutes ago, Seebab said:

I am loving the new album. Some songs venture into War on Drugs territory, others into Talking Heads, Brian Fallon, others into Sam Fender, others into Bruce

Or maybe WOD, Brian and Sam venture into Killer territory? 

Can I say this out loud? WOD is boring as FUCK. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Or maybe WOD, Brian and Sam venture into Killer territory? 

Can I say this out loud? WOD is boring as FUCK. 

I haven't bought it yet, would normally buy the CD and load onto my computer, but can't do that now.