Sign in to follow this  
Fifer

Deacon Blue Radio 2 Piano Room Springsteen Cover

We know Ricky and Lorraine are big Springsteen fans, so they choose to cover him on their recent Radio 2 Piano Room set.

Slightly surprised by song choice as everyone and their dog has had a shot at DITD, but still a listenable version.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

Very nice indeed. I have a lot of time for DB.  Ricky Ross is a great songwriter.

• Like 1

Went to see them at Wembley Arena back in the late 80's when they were riding high and they did a decent cover of Tougher Than The Rest in their show! Was sat feet away from Ricky in the departure lounge at Heathrow about 10 years later and so wanted to say hello / shake his hand and let him know how much that one lyric, "and he packs his lunch in a Sunblest bag" , meant to me and reminded me of my Da growing up in Northern Ireland as that he what he did!!!...…...but wanting to leave him alone in peace won out and I didn't bother him!  For those interested Sunblest was a name/brand of bread that came in a thick waxy wrapper and my Da used to take his packed lunch / sandwiches to work wrapped up in a Sunblest bag. Fine writer and performer/s.    

• Like 6

I've made mention of this more than once in other parts of this forum, but I am a HUGE DB fan. Still one of my bucket list shows and I really do hope I get to see them live one fine day.

I do, however, have to confess that for many weeks after the single Dignity came out and was getting lots of radio play here, I was convinced the song was about 'Dick The Tramp....'

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I do, however, have to confess that for many weeks after the single Dignity came out and was getting lots of radio play here, I was convinced the song was about 'Dick The Tramp....

That's as bad as me hearing 'Give Peace A Chance' as 'Give Me The Jam' :P 

• Haha 1

I was passing the City Hall, Toon, years ago and bought a ticket for a tenner. Best tenner I ever spent - they were brilliant.

I think they sang Thunder Road that night.

• Like 2

I may have been at one of the most unusual DB shows, Bristol  Colston Hall 2013.  Before he show Ricky walked on stage saying Lorraine was sick and we had a choice either postpone or just the guys would play... the response  wasn’t even close.

They played Back Here in Beanoland my favourite DB tune 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deacon-blue/2013/colston-hall-bristol-england-53cd27fd.html

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davemunday said:

I may have been at one of the most unusual DB shows, Bristol  Colston Hall 2013.  Before he show Ricky walked on stage saying Lorraine was sick and we had a choice either postpone or just the guys would play... the response  wasn’t even close.

They played Back Here in Beanoland my favourite DB tune 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deacon-blue/2013/colston-hall-bristol-england-53cd27fd.html

Used to have an import double album on vinyl called Ooh Las Vegas with that on. Loved it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A Saint in the city said:

Saw DB headline the Big Day Out on Glasgow Green in 1990. 

Free concert with an estimated 300,000 there. 

Big Country in support as well.... Magnificent night. 

That was an amazing day in Glasgow - saw Michael Stipe, Billy Bragg and Natalie Merchant a the Riverside stage too. 

Saw DB at the Pavillion in Glasgow and then Barrowlands just as they were about to make Dignity a success after so many re-releases. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A Saint in the city said:

Saw DB headline the Big Day Out on Glasgow Green in 1990. 

Free concert with an estimated 300,000 there. 

Big Country in support as well.... Magnificent night. 

Wow!

Bruce's influence has always been evident in their live performance, on one live recording I've got Ricky's introduction of drummer Dougie Vipond sound like a direct lift of one of Bruce's Clarence introductions.

Despite seeing the band in 1989, 1991, 1993, 1999, 2001, 2011, 2013, 2014 & 2018 and Ricky solo in 2005 I don't remember ever hearing one of Bruce's songs. However. at that first show in 1989 they did do a storming cover of Like A Rolling Stone.

• Like 2

There's lots of Bruce in his stage performance, though.