Pregnant Sally

If Bruce & E Street ever sound like Aerosmith & Steven Tyler

Then I will be passing on shows.  I get it, we age and become shells of our former selves but no way in bloody blue hell would I ever pay money despite how much I love Bruce to see him if he pulled what Tyler and band did last night.  Coulda been an off night, we all have 'em, but the band sounded pitiful and LIvin' On The Edge was just cringeworthy.    I could not believe my ears.  Love Walk This Way and thought they sounded better when Run D.M.C came out but the first part, my god.

Ozzy was at the Grammys last night talking about touring with a cane and Parkinson's.  Their careers and their choices but no way do I need so see my musical heroes keep trying the same old routine when the difference between then and now is so, so vast.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think we've had a thread similar to this before. Ya knar, the whole "if Bruce can't do it well anymore" thing. 

I get the impression Bruce Springsteen is a smart bloke, and based on how protective he's been with his work over the last forty years I imagine as he gets older and frailer, he'll be very intent on making sure his legacy and reputation isn't tarnished. 

Oh, and I love Aerosmith me, mind. 

• Like 4

Perhaps we have but I'm in shock over last night's performance.  Not the biggest fan, sure, but I've got ears and no matter my fandom or lack thereof, abysmal.  

I agree with Paolo, he's too smart, and too vain to allow himsef to encounter a fiasco like this.

Also, Bruce has friends. It's priceless to have someone to tell you how much you suck.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

And if they barred their drummer, Joey Kramer, from performing with them, because his playing wasn't up to snuff, think how awful he must have been. (Either that, or he was actually the good one.) 

This takes the cake.  

I'll throw in the assumption that he may have been the good one.  

5 hours ago, Silvia said:

Also, Bruce has friends. It's priceless to have someone to tell you how much you suck.

Dude Looks Like A Lady likely has tons of friends himself - they aren't always honest with us, for better or worse.  

20 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Dude Looks Like A Lady 

Even though there is nothing wrong with that.:D

As others have commented I too think (hope) that Bruce has too much integrity and too big an ego to end up not putting on the show that "he" feels his legacy (and fans) deserves. I've always maintained that Bruce will just change what / how he performs as he gets older - I think (health permitting) he will always perform (it's in his DNA and it is his life blood / therapy almost). YES tours with the ESB will be few now going forward (another couple probably) but he can do stuff akin to Seeger Sessions / Western Stars and (one that many of us would welcome before the end of this decade maybe) an Unplugged style show with a handful of key players around him (for which in the encore he could even plug in the electric, much like Nils has done at similar style solo shows!) - Bruce has got it ALL there to draw upon as he scales things down in the years ahead, and he will STILL be able to make it something to see & hear - he is VERY lucky like that!

Many other bands (like my beloved The Who) unfortunately had such a physical and dynamic stage show as younger men that it was always going to catch up with them in time!  For now they still make a fine sound on stage (although not the same since John's passing) and it is certainly in no way embarrassing (like some of those mentioned above) - but - by the same token it is not unfair to say that it isn't AS powerful as it was even 10 years ago (when in their mid sixties as opposed to seventies!), let alone 20 years ago when in their mid fifties...……...and in some areas of the show I have no doubts the same thing will apply now to the 70 year old Bruce and ESB if we were to compare him/them to the 50 year old on the Reunion Tour or even the 60 year old that was still doing knee slides etc...…….but the "sound" will still be terrific I'm sure and the shows great...…….for now...…...and Bruce himself will know when he can't and won't do "that" type of show anymore (Roger Daltrey has said, more than once, that if he/they ever walk off a stage feeling that what they had just done out there was letting that music and those fans down he will quit!...…….that's good enough for me and that's what is needed).

YES - the "show", the "theatrics", the "energy" if you like may already be a shadow of what it once was at a WHO gig now (and a band like The Who made a rod for their own backs!) - but - if you close your eyes and listen to what is being played up there, as long as "that" is still quality I can live with that and will take that to live out Glory Days of my past, because when they are up there on that stage and I'm down there in front of them I'm 17 again!  I didn't get to see Bob Seger and the SBB until about 10 years or so ago (thought he was going to be one that got away - hasn't been over here since the 1980's I caught them in Florida) and yeah, it wasn't a thinner Bob with his long dark hair waving around etc but set that aside what a glorious sound and terrific band!!!...…..tremendous gig.

I take my hat off to Mick Jagger TBH - he is, pretty much, putting on "almost" the same show that he did in the 70's / 80's and that is quite remarkable and takes an incredible dedication - to remain THAT fit (when OFF the road, in between tours) by running miles most days - to be a multi millionaire and DO that in your down time in incredible really - The Stones wrote the book really and are still writing it!!! Bruce will be fine, he won't let us or himself down!              

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Haven't seen the Grammy performance, but a bit concerned as I have tickets to see them in Vegas in a couple of weeks.

Haven't seen Aerosmith for about 15 years and was really looking forward to it. I did pass on the upgrade option to meet and greet Tyler and Perry for $2500, or the other 3 guys for $750.

There was a time when Macca was rolled out for big TV events such as Jubilees and Olympics and he was awful, but he seems to have rediscovered how to sing of late.

• Like 1

Bruce has recently shown us also how versatile his creativity can be. I believe he will always find a way to express himself in consonance with his physical and mental shape. He won't compromise the performance, he'll change the principle.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, Fifer said:

Haven't seen the Grammy performance, but a bit concerned as I have tickets to see them in Vegas in a couple of weeks.

Defo don't want to burst your bubble and hope you still have a fabulous time, maybe you wanna google the performance itself.

If it turns out nothing like Grammy night you may be OK.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Defo don't want to burst your bubble and hope you still have a fabulous time, maybe you wanna google the performance itself.

If it turns out nothing like Grammy night you may be OK.

Thanks, I will report back my experience. It's only a part of the trip so even if Steve is struggling it won't be a disaster, although Mrs Fifer might want to have spent her time doing something else

• Like 1

I'd also read they booked a stadium to play in Boston for their anniversary or some such thing.  So good there's still a demand for them.

Would love to hear your experience, especially after I saw them perform.  Will be interesting to hear the contrasts and comparisons, in the sense that I haven't been a fan of the band for a long time now but will still be neat to hear if this was a one off TV appearance type thing.  

1 hour ago, Fifer said:

Thanks, I will report back my experience. It's only a part of the trip so even if Steve is struggling it won't be a disaster, although Mrs Fifer might want to have spent her time doing something else

Just think of the money you'll be saving while at the show! :P

• Haha 2

Not seen the recent performance yet, but when I last saw Aerosmith maybe 8 years back I was taken aback by the drop off from previous shows, They were still good but not as good,  I haven’t been back since and I guess I won’t do so now!   

I will check it out,  and would like to know how the Vegas shows go ,  the stuff with joey sucks somewhat too,  I heard they were making him pay for his replacement?  But I don’t know if that’s actually factual! :wacko:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ukjohnney said:

the stuff with joey sucks somewhat too,  I heard they were making him pay for his replacement?  But I don’t know if that’s actually factual! :wacko:

If this is true, unreal.  

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Eight years back they were awful?  Eeeek!

No not awful by any means at all (sorry)!, just not as good as they were in 96 and 2004 (approx).   But that’s maybe to be expected really.  

Back to the original point of the post I think they have just carried on in the same vein regardless, I think Bruce would and has adapted and changed his style and performances to suit based on the passage of time.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BruceWho said:

but he can do stuff akin to Seeger Sessions / Western Stars

NO!...Christ no!....That's not the Springsteen I know, the Springsteen I love...If he wants to morph into Pete Seeger, that's his choice, but I wont be along for the ride....NO!

• Like 1

If Bruce and the E Street Band ever sounded like Aerosmith at any time I would never have been a fan in the first place.

• Like 3