Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

So the comfort that you keep's.chrome plated.snub-nose.32.I heard it's true...


Recommended Posts

The delivery of those lyrics blows me away every time and demonstrates the depth of his musical repertoire and abilities. I cant think of another Sptingsteen song where he delivers lyrics like that and it makes me wish he mixed it up more.

The clipped lyrics and delivery are perfect and build with the power and the tension of the song.

Beyond this, the song is superb; lyrically it highlights his empathetic excellence as a narrative song writer, with perfectly refined detail that speak a thousand worlds.

I was also thinking today that the sax solo has to be on of the best and most powerful .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I agree. One of his best rockers. 

Except, I believe the line is "snub-nosed .32...I heard that you..."

Those lyrics though man... how does he come up with that stuff. Combined with the delivery. Absolute perfection.

I blazed it loud with my windows down on the way to work today. Imposed it on the sad grey commuters.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

The delivery of those lyrics blows me away every time and demonstrates the depth of his musical repertoire and abilities. I cant think of another Sptingsteen song where he delivers lyrics like that and it makes me wish he mixed it up more.

The clipped lyrics and delivery are perfect and build with the power and the tension of the song.

Beyond this, the song is superb; lyrically it highlights his empathetic excellence as a narrative song writer, with perfectly refined detail that speak a thousand worlds.

I was also thinking today that the sax solo has to be on of the best and most powerful .

You know what I'm going to ask, don't you? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, janeymarywendy said:

Yep, that was my question :lol:

One of my least favourite Bruce songs, sorry :(

I didn't recognise the words either - had to google. I can take it or leave it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

It is a great song and I'm still amazed by the fact that it was shelved. It was one that I added to the end of a Darkness cassette that I had years ago and it never failed to thrill me when I heard it.

Is it a darkness era song? I thought BITUSA.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

s it a darkness era song? I thought BITUSA.

Yes, BUSA outtake; and for quite some time it was a very serious contender to be on the BUSA album, as second song after the song BUSA.

Unpopular opinion: maybe they made the right choice with Cover Me instead (a song I really like, and it seems Cover Me is underrated among diehards hands; terrific live performances in 1984-1985 and 1988 too).

Something else,  Murder Inc. was very well sequenced after Youngstown in tne 1999-2000 shows.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Yes, BUSA outtake; and for quite some time it was a very serious contender to be on the BUSA album, as second song after the song BUSA.

Unpopular opinion: maybe they made the right choice with Cover Me instead (a song I really like, and it seems Cover Me is underrated among diehards hands; terrific live performances in 1984-1985 and 1988 too).

Something else,  Murder Inc. was very well sequenced after Youngstown in tne 1999-2000 shows.

 

 

Would have been very powerful after BITUSA. Perhaps they feared making it an overly political album.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes, BUSA outtake; and for quite some time it was a very serious contender to be on the BUSA album, as second song after the song BUSA.

Unpopular opinion: maybe they made the right choice with Cover Me instead (a song I really like, and it seems Cover Me is underrated among diehards hands; terrific live performances in 1984-1985 and 1988 too).

Something else,  Murder Inc. was very well sequenced after Youngstown in tne 1999-2000 shows.

 

 

Completely the right decision. It sold 40 million. It’s sequenced perfectly. Murder is a far better song though, but not in the context of that record.

The whole 3 track sequence in ‘99 was perfect I agree.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favourite songs and lines 

I never realised Murder Incorporated was a BITUSA outtake - sequenced after the title track would have been very heavy

When was the studio version we’ve got recorded? Was that for Greatest Hits in 1995? Is there a version (studio or live) recorded around BITUSA?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Listening to the Greatest Hits version now it does sound like it could have been recorded around the BITUSA era

Just seen it was recorded in the 1982 BITUSA sessions, so there’s my answer

I think the original version from the BUSA sessions was remixed or something for Greatest Hits. Likely some overdubs too.

But not a completely new recorded version like this Hard Land.

Also, there are different versions (alternate takes) of Murder Inc. from the BUSA sessions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

I never realised Murder Incorporated was a BITUSA outtake - sequenced after the title track would have been very heavy

And then followed by Darlington County...Darlington County following Cover Me probably feels much more logical, natural than Darlington County following Murder Inc. would. 

Or: Murder Inc. maybe did not really fit on BUSA like Roulette maybe did not really fit on The River. Even if for Roulette that feeling [it did not fit] is probably stronger than for Murder Inc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Where would MLWNLYD fit! 

It was the opening song of Side 2 of BUSA for almost 2 years.

Until No Surrender was written.

Edit: 'almost 2 years' maybe a little bit long; but for a long time.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Listening to the Greatest Hits version now it does sound like it could have been recorded around the BITUSA era

Just seen it was recorded in the 1982 BITUSA sessions, so there’s my answer

The '82 version is different to the released version, lots of over dubs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lampi said:

It was the opening song of Side 2 of BUSA for almost 2 years.

Until No Surrender was written.

Edit: 'almost 2 years' maybe a little bit long; but for a long time.

We neee that B ITUSA box set

I wonder if we'll get sm alternitive album like we did like for The River

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...