Greasy Lake Community

11 years ago today - Bruce gains a new legion of fans during Super Bowl XLIII

LINKhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/02/01/e-street-review-springsteen-plays-the-super-bowl-xliii-half-time-show/

It's Super Bowl weekend and after getting invested into the NFL and American Football in general over the last few months I am hyped. I've been looking forward to Sunday but also excited about writing a blog post relevant for the occasion. Thankfully that fella we all like had a really good night back in 2009 and put on a real good show with his bandmates. 

So I decided to write about Bruce Springsteen and his Super Bowl Half-Time show, with some thoughts on the monologues, the quips, the songs and the significance of the night a decade later. It's a really important moment in Bruce's career and who knows where he and a lot of us would be without it?

Anyway, enjoy reading those who do, and I can't go without posting a link to the concert and arguably the biggest talking point of the entire 12 minutes. 

giphy.mp4

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Was this truly “a really important moment in Bruce’s career”? As a lifelong fan it did nothing for me, though I did find the whole ref bit to be really hokey. Did it bring new fans in?

I mean, it was kinda the genesis for an autobiography and a Broadway tour. 

And as someone who didn't know much about Bruce Springsteen before it it kinda impacted my life in a big way. 

• Like 4

You football folk should watch Inside The Mind of Aaron Hernandez, watched it, knew virtually nothing about him but was fascinated from beginning to end.

Only in America someone can score a touchdown during a superbowl after he committed a murder that no one knew about?  

Probably not but what a story.  

As for this year's musical guests, don't care for either's music but I wouldn't write them off yet from putting on a good show.  I kinda dig JLO as someone who works very hard, that's for sure - don't like her as an actress at all and don't think she sings well but she's still a good performer I have to say.  

• Like 2

Have to admit , I hated watching this at the time. However, given the past few Superbowl offerings this is a gig and a half for those in the stadium who have never been through the process of wanting to be in the pit or indeed going to a Bruce Gig.

12 minutes of Bruce bliss is better than nearly every other half time show !

At the time in 2009, it put him back into the faces of an American public that needed reminding about the whole of the E Street Band sound.

Then he buggered off to Europe and afforded us Glastonbury and Hyde Park with The Big Man too x Happy Days!

Just put down the Guacamole!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I mean, it was kinda the genesis for an autobiography and a Broadway tour. 

And as someone who didn't know much about Bruce Springsteen before it it kinda impacted my life in a big way. 

I guess that was my point. I was a longtime fan when that occurred. It seems like it was part of what brought you aboard as a fan. I wonder how many others became fans because of that performance?

• Like 1

This looooong time fan (and I’m also a huge football fan) absolutely loved every single minute of it.  As did everyone I know.  

Was it ‘essential’ to his career?  No idea.  Did he gain any new fans? No idea. 

Was it tons of fun? For me it was! 

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

37 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

This looooong time fan (and I’m also a huge football fan) absolutely loved every single minute of it.  As did everyone I know.  

Was it ‘essential’ to his career?  No idea.  Did he gain any new fans? No idea. 

Was it tons of fun? For me it was! 

One of my favorite 30 minutes in Super Bowl History .... We won the Office Pool because James Harrison ran back a 100 Yard Interception with no time on the clock ....and got 5-1 that Glory Days would close the set ..... And a Mini Bruce show .... We were ecstatic ..... If Arizona had won it would have been Perfect .....

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I too loved it!  Watched the game and halftime show with a few Steeler fans and non fans and all loved it. 

I remember reading Bruce’s journal of that night (maybe on Backstreets) and it was better than the show.  He wrote at the end of getting home, 2 am, family all tucked in their beds, and he was in the backyard with a nice fire going being happy and thankful.  Love this man!  

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

If you want to see a truly career-defining Super Bowl Halftime show, check out Prince's performance from 2007. This is the one everybody still keeps talking about, and for a good reason.

• Like 5