Greasy Lake Community

45 years

JimCT

Anniversary shout-out to 5 Feb 75 at The Main Point.

In a small club (~300), Bruce and the E St Band put on a show broadcast over WMMR-FM, and it becomes one of the early high quality boots. Many of us collected this one way back when. An amazing Incident to open the show, one with Suki and her violin highlighted in so many places.

Anyone here actually at this show? Anyone listening to the original radio broadcast?

1975-02-05 - THE MAIN POINT, BRYN MAWR, PA

INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / MOUNTAIN OF LOVE / BORN TO RUN / THE E STREET SHUFFLE / WINGS FOR WHEELS / I WANT YOU / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / SHE'S THE ONE / GROWIN' UP / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / JUNGLELAND / KITTY'S BACK / NEW YORK CITY SERENADE / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / A LOVE SO FINE / FOR YOU / BACK IN THE U.S.A.

One show, held as a benefit for the ~270-seat coffeehouse, with Springsteen & The E Street Band the sole act on the bill. The show was emceed by DJ Ed Sciaky and began just after 9.00pm. It was broadcast by WMMR-FM, but not as a true simulcast, rather it was broadcast on about a two-hour delay the same night. Interestingly, Springsteen almost backed out of his promise to allow the show to be broadcast. He wanted to play new songs that were still unfinished - songs that may not be ready for a large radio audience. It took a concentrated effort by Sciaky on the day of the concert to talk Bruce around. An attendee review of the show from 1975 by critic David Fricke states the show took place on February 3, but this appears to be an error by Fricke given detailed interview comments by Sciaky and the recollections of other attendees. Press reports suggest that Springsteen raised over $1,000 for the Main Point. The complete show was broadcast and the listed 18-song setlist represents the entire concert. Not only is it one of the longest (160 minutes) single-show gigs up to this point but it's one of the most compelling performances of Springsteen's entire career. There are spellbinding renditions of "Incident On 57th Street", "New York City Serenade" and "For You" (in the solo piano arrangement), the earliest known performances of "Mountain Of Love" and "Thunder Road" (with work-in-progress "Wings For Wheels" title/lyrics) plus a wild, majestic version of Chuck Berry's "Back In The U.S.A.". "The E Street Shuffle" includes "Having A Party". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. "A Love So Fine" includes an interlude of "Shout". Contrary to myth the police siren heard at the conclusion of "Incident On 57th Street" is an audio prop that had been utilized at a few of Bruce's shows just prior to this one, i.e. it was not a real vehicle.

• Like 5

Ya know, Backstreets Magazine has been doing a lot of teasing with their recent posts about the Main Point. Last week posting pictures from the show, today posting the entire bootleg from youtube. I know it's the anniversary, but maybe they are trying to tell us something...

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

A very important show with the songs and band that would propel him into the big time almost, but not quite, complete.

Having said that, I've no interest in it as an Archive release, even if they have it. The improved version that has circulated since around 2011 is plenty good enough as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

A very important show with the songs and band that would propel him into the big time almost, but not quite, complete.

Having said that, I've got great interest in it as an Archive release, if they have it. The improved version that has circulated since around 2011 is awfully good but not quite good enough as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1