Well, Johnny works in a factory and Billy works downtown
Terry works in a rock and roll band lookin' for that million-dollar sound
Me, I got a little job down in Darlington, oh but some nights I don't go
Some nights I go to the drive-in, there're some nights I stay home
I followed that dream just like those guys do way up on the screen
I drove my Challenger down Route 9 through the dead ends and all the bad scenes
But when the promise was broken, I cashed in a few of my own dreams
Whoah

Well, now I built that Challenger by myself, but I needed money and so I sold it
I lived a secret I should'a kept to myself, but I got drunk one night and I told it
All my life I fought this fight, the fight that no man can ever win
And every day it just gets harder to live this dream I'm believing in
Thunder Road, oh baby you were so right
Thunder Road, there's something dyin' out on the highway tonight

Well, now my daddy taught me how to walk quiet and how to make my peace with the past
I learned real good to tighten up inside and I don't say nothing unless I'm asked
When the promise is broken you go on living, but it steals something from down in your soul
Like when the truth is spoken and it don't make no difference, something in your heart turns cold
Well I followed that dream through the southwestern tracks, the dead ends, and the two-bit bars
When the promise was broken I was far away from home sleepin' in the backseat of a borrowed car
Thunder Road, and when it washes away with the rain
Thunder Road, you learn to walk among the remains
Thunder Road, remember what me and Billy, we'd always say
Thunder Road, we were gonna take it all and throw it all away

This is the version that I first heard on a bootleg back in the early 80's with the different third verse.  Great great song.

Also one of my lifetime highlights, getting to see one of the three full band versions Bruce has done.

The Promise in DC

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I was there.

Me too. :)

When Bruce sat down at the piano, I thought for sure that he was going to play For You (which I would have loved as well), so I was surprised and thrilled when he started this one.

Shame about all the talkers, though. :angry:

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

And i was here ....Hoping for Detroit Medley :(

That's the first time i heard the promise

But when i brought the cd it wasn't on it, i had no idea ir was a rarity 

Then i found it on Mr Crystal Cat's winterland boot on the bonus disk with the extra verse

These two versions are major events in my fandom

Then finally the darkness box set and learning the story behind them recording  it

I loved when it finally got its own record although i much prefer it on solo piano

- probably because that's how i first heard it

Its my 3rd equal (w/ LOHAD) favourite  song but even i recognize its pretty dark and depressing so i only listen to it when life is sweet otherwise it cuts a little close to the bone because that's the very first song i every heard myself in

I don't feel like ive been on the receiving end of much empathy in my life, but Bruce gives it to me in spades 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, misty rain said:

Me too. :)

When Bruce sat down at the piano, I thought for sure that he was going to play For You (which I would have loved as well), so I was surprised and thrilled when he started this one.

:wub:

:angry:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It’s a song I know I should love.

I just don’t though. 

Its ok

I can love it for you as well :lol:

16 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It’s a song I know I should love.

I just don’t though. 

It's no problem CC i can help you.

If you look out of your window..to the left you'll see a tree, not a big tree as far as trees go, but a canny size tree anyway. Go over to that tree and with one hand one your left ear push..with great force, your whole head and especially your right ear onto that tree, many times, many many times, then repeat this with your other ear.

This should remove the " I just don't though " from your lugs. 

• Haha 3

I'm not sure this is a song Bruce himself has ever been fully comfortable with. 

The lines about his father have never appeared in a released version of the song. The opportunity was there to release an outtake in 2010 with those lyrics and he chose not to.

It seemed with the 99/00 performances he had finally made peace with a version of the song, yet by 2016 he had stopped singing the 'backseat of a borrowed car' bit also.

I think this one is very close to the bone for whatever reason

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

It's no problem CC i can help you.

If you look out of your window..to the left you'll see a tree, not a big tree as far as trees go, but a canny size tree anyway. Go over to that tree and with one hand one your left ear push..with great force, your whole head and especially your right ear onto that tree, many times, many many times, then repeat this with your other ear.

This should remove the " I just don't though " from your lugs. 

Just got fucking drenched doing that.

All I could hear was loads of tyres rushing by in the rain.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

And i was here ....Hoping for Detroit Medley :(

While it is a shame you didn't get the "Medley" you wanted, am I fuck feeling properly sorry for you knowing you were at this show! :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really like this version. Sometimes with songs like this you expect them to be good based on name value alone, i.e. most versions of "Born to Run", but this genuinely caught me off guard with how stunning it is. 

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I really like this version. Sometimes with songs like this you expect them to be good based on name value alone i.e. most versions of "Born to Run", but this genuinely caught me off guard with how stunning it is. 

Yeah, considering that was the first time he had played it in 21 years, it's especially stunning.  The great sound quality of the recording helps too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I really like this version. Sometimes with songs like this you expect them to be good based on name value alone, i.e. most versions of "Born to Run", but this genuinely caught me off guard with how stunning it is. 

That rips my heart out of my chest and leaves it in pieces bleeding on the floor

Its not helping im trying to update my CV and its not going very well because i can't find a template that's suitable for someone without a degree or an anazing career history

Plus I'm a firm beleave in why use a big overly complicated word when a small word says the same thing 

6 hours ago, misty rain said:

As close as I have ever come to visiting physical chastisement upon a woman...........:angry:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

As close as I have ever come to visiting physical chastisement upon a woman...........:angry:

Completly understandable Mr Rat

12 hours ago, davemunday said:

I was here

just before the hypothermia kicked in

Bloody 'ell.  That was a hellish day !!  The show was GREAT (The Promise, Save My Love), but the rain and wind was ridiculous.

Probably the best song that he's ever written. The early full band studio versions are the real diamonds.

The early version live in Seattle 25.06.78, is a stunning solo version, though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Bloody 'ell.  That was a hellish day !!  The show was GREAT (The Promise, Save My Love), but the rain and wind was ridiculous.

Don’t forget the 78 intro prove it all night 

• Like 3