Sign in to follow this  
Tom-Joad

Something that needs to be said

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Bloody 'ell.  That was a hellish day !!  The show was GREAT (The Promise, Save My Love), but the rain and wind was ridiculous.

Probably one of my favourite Bruce shows, but as you say, the weather sucked majorly.

I had gotten very, very drunk post the S'ooo'lan' show the previous night, so the train journey from Mackem land to Manc land was a Dante-esque experience.

On arrival I went straight to the City of Manchester Stadium to try to get a pit band, but too late.

By now I was cold, wet and still rabidly hungover, so it was hotel, shower and power kip.

Next step in the recovery was "The Marble Arch" to meet a couple of pals and neck a couple of curers, which did the job splendidly.

I recall that top, top boozer had a real fire and on that day the fire guard was being utilised to hang wet socks on pre gig.

Back to the stadium, the gig was a doozy but owing to my missing out on the pit, I watched it surrounded by what can only be described as dregs.

I think "The Promise"  came relatively early in the set, earlier than you'd think.........I recall a little over half way, hence why the shrill harpies beside me decided this was the time to sort out the drinks order.

• Like 5

@Born To Walk and I watched the Manchester concert from the shelter of the upper seats. Fantastic show - think that was my last Bruce one.

Was it raining? I didn't notice. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eileen said:

@Born To Walk and I watched the Manchester concert from the shelter of the upper seats. Fantastic show - think that was my last Bruce one.

Was it raining? I didn't notice. ;)

I also remember meeting a friend of yours in the pit.  Goodness knows how she knew who I was.:blink:

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I also remember meeting a friend of yours in the pit.  Goodness knows how she knew who I was.:blink:

Remind me … who was it?

Wait, was that Pat?

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Probably one of my favourite Bruce shows, but as you say, the weather sucked majorly.

I had gotten very, very drunk post the S'ooo'lan' show the previous night, so the train journey from Mackem land to Manc land was a Dante-esque experience.

On arrival I went straight to the City of Manchester Stadium to try to get a pit band, but too late.

By now I was cold, wet and still rabidly hungover, so it was hotel, shower and power kip.

Next step in the recovery was "The Marble Arch" to meet a couple of pals and neck a couple of curers, which did the job splendidly.

I recall that top, top boozer had a real fire and on that day the fire guard was being utilised to hang wet socks on pre gig.

Back to the stadium, the gig was a doozy but owing to my missing out on the pit, I watched it surrounded by what can only be described as dregs.

I think "The Promise"  came relatively early in the set, earlier than you'd think.........I recall a little over half way, hence why the shrill harpies beside me decided this was the time to sort out the drinks order.

Brilliant show. You could feel it in the air like you often can for the really great ones. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

Remind me … who was it?

Wait, was that Pat?

Can't remember for certain, but that seems to ring a bell.

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Can't remember for certain, but that seems to ring a bell.

Yes, I'm sure it was her. I'd asked her to look out for you and I think she ended up near you. She's a Laker so had probably seen a photo of you.  Having a Welsh accent probably tipped her off. :D 

Definately in my top 10 songs to sing in the shower.

• Like 2

What was the promise?  Who made it, and how was it broken?

4 minutes ago, Rizla said:

What was the promise?  Who made it, and how was it broken?

Ooh, those posers deserve a thread of their own.

Whatever the answers, I think it all ties in to Mike Appel.

:lol:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Bloody 'ell.  That was a hellish day !!  The show was GREAT (The Promise, Save My Love), but the rain and wind was ridiculous.

The pit queue.

:o

100_2055.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The pit queue.

100_2055.JPG

I'd probably turn around and go home. :-)

20 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

It was tempting, Leo.  A guy I was with bought a new set of clothes in Asda.

Never again.

Back on topic (sorry for the hijack, TJ) we have to haul Bruce over the coals for trampling all over this masterpiece with the middle finger salute that was the 18 Tracks version.  Knob'ead.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Probably the best song that he's ever written. 

I think I agree with you here.

55 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

I am a big fan of climate controlled concerts ....I suppose i may have to break down for this next tour and pray to the weather gods

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Back on topic (sorry for the hijack, TJ) we have to haul Bruce over the coals for trampling all over this masterpiece with the middle finger salute that was the 18 Tracks version.  Knob'ead.

Yikes!  I love that version.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I'd say it was still worth getting 18 tracks for but the missing verse i found disappointing 

14 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The pit queue.

100_2055.JPG

I've waited for the pit in some pretty nasty ass weather but freezing instead of pouring.  Don't think I could do either now, despite my undying love for Bruce and the pit.  No patience.  

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I'd say it was still worth getting 18 tracks for but the missing verse i found disappointing 

Fair enough.  I still think it’s beautifully done, and IMHO doesn’t deserve the Jersey State Bird... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

:)

He rushes through it as if it's a chore. It was only there because everybody and his uncle complained that none of the other versions made it on to the original boxset.

I've always thought that the 18 Tracks version was his revenge on us for daring to question his decision making.

B)

7 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

He rushes through it as if it's a chore. It was only there because everybody and his uncle complained that none of the other versions made it on to the original boxset.

I've always thought that the 18 Tracks version was his revenge on us for daring to question his decision making.

B)

Hmmm... ok, but I don’t hear it that way at all.  

I’ll give it another listen later... 

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

B)

Ok, just listened again.  Love it.  It’s actually my favorite version (though there are many I love).  Revenge?  Yeah, no.  No way!  

It’s beautiful IMO :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

He rushes through it as if it's a chore.B)

And it sounds lazy and uninspired.

• Like 1

It just sprang  have the rawness of 1978