Sign in to follow this  
lilbud

Does Bruce and the Band Plant Signs?

I started to wonder this listening to the latest archive. Bruce says that "I knew someone would ask for that one" in reference to Expressway to Your Heart.

So they rehearse a song, and there just so happens to be a sign request in the audience for that one. I started thinking that maybe they plant signs in the audience, not just this, but other shows as well. Maybe i'm overthinking it.

• Like 1

Talk was in cities with more than one show, a song from a sign from the first night was rehearsed and then the next night Bruce took the sign and the song was played. Would of course only work if the man/woman with the sign was there both nights and also both nights with the same sign.

I don't know if this story is true.

• Like 1

I have suspected that they do plant signs on occasion, though I think it's more likely due to a number of possibilities. One is repeat customers, as Lampi listed above. (Some fans might hit several shows in a row with the same sign.) It could also be recon on the part of the crew, who check out the signs before the show and report back to Bruce. Also, sometimes Bruce might meet fans before the show and get their requests. 

While they might not be played for signs per se, I suspect someone at Inc. might monitor the message boards and pass on people's wishes to Bruce. :ph34r:

(Those who are on the Dark Side might remember the infamous "Crush on You" incident...:lol:)

1 hour ago, misty rain said:

It could also be recon on the part of the crew, who check out the signs before the show and report back to Bruce

This is the theory I believe. 

And what's the infamous "Crush on You" incident? I don't think I've heard that one before. 

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

I am pretty sure Seven Angels was planted at Mohegan 2 since the woman i got the ticket from told me to expect it.

I think that sign request was from a Laker - hotsteppinghemi who hasn't posted here in a an age.

the infamous "Crush on You" incident...:lol:)

Is this when it was played in 2008 for the first time in 28 years -at sign request- and Bruce said it was the worst song they ever put on an album?

(Probably he meant: the worst song on a Bruce Springsteen & The ESB album and even then it is not true)

19 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Is this when it was played in 2008 for the first time in 28 years -at sign request- and Bruce said it was the worst song they ever put on an album?

(Probably he meant: the worst song on a Bruce Springsteen & The ESB album and even then it is not true)

One of the most exuberant songs hes ever put on record .... sure its actually a little melodically challenged compared to a Sherry Darling or something .... but if you liked a modern take on the rolling stones spitting chuck berry-esque lyrics...with a classic Clarence solo to boot ....well this is it :lol:

• Like 2

I have suspected that they do plant signs on occasion, though I think it's more likely due to a number of possibilities. One is repeat customers, as Lampi listed above. (Some fans might hit several shows in a row with the same sign.) It could also be recon on the part of the crew, who check out the signs before the show and report back to Bruce. Also, sometimes Bruce might meet fans before the show and get their requests. 

While they might not be played for signs per se, I suspect someone at Inc. might monitor the message boards and pass on people's wishes to Bruce. :ph34r:

(Those who are on the Dark Side might remember the infamous "Crush on You" incident...:lol:)

If they monitored the boards then surely they would have played Kitty for Daisy last time they were in NZ

• Sad 2

Planted. No. That’s ridiculous. Many things come into play. Someone may request before a show, there may be a sign at a earlier show and Bruce sees it and remembers it and it gets rehearsed.

A good example would be Long Time Comin’ at Coventry, he took a sign and played it, but it was also on a sign the previous show. 

Then also they all have teleprompter’s and can easily play any track that may be requested within reason. Obviously only certain tracks and types of music will be on a sign. At a Bruce concert it’s very unlikely a Stooges track will be requested. They are mostly all professionals with 40 years or more behind them. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, kevharrison said:

At a Bruce concert it’s very unlikely a Stooges track will be requested. 

Unfortunately. I think Bruce singing Search and Destroy would be less of a stretch than Royals, Stayin’ Alive or Sociedade Alternativa.

I've seen a member of the crew come out and take photos of the signs a few hours before Showtime, presumably so Bruce can choose what to play.  I've also seen him look unsuccessfully for a sign, say "it was here earlier", and play whatever song it was without actually having the sign to hand.

• Like 4

Well if 'they' are even remotely  responsible for that rather large and sharp edged sign that attempted to go where the 'sun don't shine' there is going to be trouble ! 

And thank you @davemunday for thinking of me 

• Like 1

This is the biggest sign plant. You can't tell me they didn't rehearse this several times before that night. Now if it was just the basic band maybe. But not with all the horns bongos and singers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

This is the biggest sign plant. You can't tell me they didn't rehearse this several times before that night. Now if it was just the basic band maybe. But not with all the horns bongos and singers.

What the hell is it written on ?

A devil spawn of a place matt mated with a sunshade ?

1 hour ago, Howyadoinoutthere said:

I've seen a member of the crew come out and take photos of the signs a few hours before Showtime, presumably so Bruce can choose what to play.  I've also seen him look unsuccessfully for a sign, say "it was here earlier", and play whatever song it was without actually having the sign to hand.

He played Back In Your Arms in Pittsburgh by sign request, but didn't have the sign.  Our group made the pit but were in the back.  On his 2nd trip to the back of the pit all of the women were busy groping so @VABOSSFAN held up a sign for BIYA that somebody in our group had.  When he played it he said something along the lines of he saw the sign but didn't get it from him.  The one who made the sign was happy to get the song but was sad it was because of another sign for it, somebody up near the front of the pit also had a sign for BIYA.  Pretty sure he meant that he saw the BIYA sign when he was on the ramp at the back of the pit, didn't get it then because that wasn't the time to collect signs, but was going to play the song because he saw the sign.

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

He played Back In Your Arms in Pittsburgh by sign request, but didn't have the sign.  Our group made the pit but were in the back.  On his 2nd trip to the back of the pit all of the women were busy groping so @VABOSSFAN held up a sign for BIYA that somebody in our group had.  When he played it he said something along the lines of he saw the sign but didn't get it from him.  The one who made the sign was happy to get the song but was sad it was because of another sign for it, somebody up near the front of the pit also had a sign for BIYA.  Pretty sure he meant that he saw the BIYA sign when he was on the ramp at the back of the pit, didn't get it then because that wasn't the time to collect signs, but was going to play the song because he saw the sign.

The Night of Balloons,  Balloon Master.

5 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I am pretty sure Seven Angels was planted at Mohegan 2 since the woman i got the ticket from told me to expect it.

She made the sign the night before (I have photos of us and @thechickenman with her sign!), and given her proximity to the stage, I’m sure he saw it. 

I was hoping for it night one, but... 

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, Howyadoinoutthere said:

Yup.  Absolutely.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevharrison said:

Planted. No. That’s ridiculous. Many things come into play. Someone may request before a show, there may be a sign at a earlier show and Bruce sees it and remembers it and it gets rehearsed.

Agree 100%.  

There was also that show where he played Take ‘Em saying he had seen this poor guy asking for it all over Europe... 

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And what's the infamous "Crush on You" incident? I don't think I've heard that one before. 

There was a certain poster who went on a campaign (posted about it all over the board) weeks before the show that he had planned to attend to get a song played that hadn't been played in ages. He picked Crush on You, which at that time hadn't been played in 28 years or so (as mentioned above). This guy had planned to have like 100 signs printed up, and pass them out all over the pit, figuring that Bruce would just have to play it.

Well, he did- the very night before this plan was supposed to come about. :lol:

I can't believe that was a coincidence. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well if 'they' are even remotely  responsible for that rather large and sharp edged sign that attempted to go where the 'sun don't shine' there is going to be trouble ! 

Someone made a sign request for Reno?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yeah, that was rehearsed, for sure. Doesn't mean the sign was planted, necessarily, but it could have been. 

What would be the purpose of planting signs when the band can play virtually any song requested on any of the actual signs? To fool us into thinking he's playing our requests when he can play anything requested?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Someone made a sign request for Reno?

That would have been preferable or at least understandable :lol:

I never did turn around to see what was on the sign although i suspect it was more the 'dance with me Bruce' rather than a rarity