Sign in to follow this  
lilbud

Does Bruce and the Band Plant Signs?

10 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

What would be the purpose of planting signs when the band can play virtually any song requested on any of the actual signs? To fool us into thinking he's playing our requests when he can play anything requested?

If he wants to play a certain song and make it appear spontaneous, yeah. 

It's no secret (to us, anyway) that they'll sometimes rehearse a song before one show, and then play it a show or two later, while pretending they're figuring it out on the fly. 

• Like 1

I'm not buying it.

A fan being given a sign by the crew is something the fan would post all over social media.

• Like 4

I don't think any signs are planted. But I do think Bruce uses multiple night stands to his advantage, or people with signs who have been sighted at multiple shows.

I saw a less exaggerated version of the You Never Can Tell schtick in Melbourne in 2013. On night one, there was a sign for Red Headed Woman in the audience. On night two, the same sign was in the audience and this time Bruce took it. He went through a whole bit about the band not knowing what was going on, played the first verse solo before the band fell in perfectly behind him for the rest. I'd suggest the whole bit had been rehearsed backstage or at soundcheck with the plan being to do it should the sign be back.

Wasn't it in Italy where there was that giant crowd sign for NYCS? And then they did it one or two nights later?

On the Leeds archive release, he takes a Local Hero sign that I suspect was at previous shows and admits they rehearsed it. Then there is the aforementioned  Take Em... in London where he jokes about the number of shows he's seen the sign at.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

What would be the purpose of planting signs when the band can play virtually any song requested on any of the actual signs? 

There is the story for a sign for Sugarland, Bruce  said something like 'we can't play that too difficult'.

And also the story the band was not amused with a sign for a certain song from HT or LT (I think-from memory-Living Proof).

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

This is the biggest sign plant. You can't tell me they didn't rehearse this several times before that night. Now if it was just the basic band maybe. But not with all the horns bongos and singers.

I've seen stranger things happen with lesser bands. You Never Van Tell isn't that hard for seasoned players to lock into.

• Like 2

Bruce is pretty open about his political views, so yes, I'm sure he's planted a sign in favor of his supported candidate in his lawn at some point.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

There is the story for a sign for Sugarland, Bruce  said something like 'we can't play that too difficult'.

And also the story the band was not amused with a sign for a certain song from HT or LT (I think-from memory-Living Proof).

What was wrong with living proof ? 

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm not buying it.

A fan being given a sign by the crew is something the fan would post all over social media.

Gus wouldn't.

• Haha 2

Isn't it said that everything spontaneous Bruce does is carefully planned?

I wouldn't say signs are planted but Bruce picks them on the basis of what he has planned,though saying that the odd wild card wouldn't be a total  surprise depending on how he feels & let's face it with the ESB most have been playing for 50 years so there's not going to be alot in the catalogue of what Bruce decides to play that is going to make anything sound a complete trainwreck by it being suddenly thrown at them but it's unlikely that he'd chance it with a song they haven't played in a long time.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

What was wrong with living proof ? 

The band did not know how to play the song, never before played with the ESB.

• Thanks 1

I was talking to a chap outside the last Little Steven show in Glasgow who was a local independent music journalist and had been in the "inner sanctum" at the previous Hampden show. His "inside take" was that the setlist is all chosen in advance and the signs are "picked" to match the setlist. Bearing in mind Bruce can pick 20+ signs, it's not that hard to manufacture - especially when you think that a fair few sign requests are for staples rather than rarities.

Also didn't he guy from the crew who used to take and tweet the centremic pics (Lef Carroll I think) once hint that the pics were used to give Bruce some ideas or to let him see where a particular sign might be found?

Having said all that, I'm sure the odd wild-card is tossed in every now and then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lampi said:

The sugar land sign was in Omaha it was quite well thought out as sugar land had only ever been played twice in Ames Iowa and Lincoln Nebraska and Omaha is about half way between them ... there were even i80 mile marker signs on it... Bruce did read it

how do I know it was that ornate because I drew the damn thing :angry:

• Like 3

My reason for starting this is that they did a song at soundcheck (before anyone gets there) at a place they were only playing one night at, so no chances for seeing the sign the night before.

And that night there happens to be a sign, which made me think that specific sign may have been planted, and possibly others as well.

6 minutes ago, lilbud said:

My reason for starting this is that they did a song at soundcheck (before anyone gets there) at a place they were only playing one night at, so no chances for seeing the sign the night before.

And that night there happens to be a sign, which made me think that specific sign may have been planted, and possibly others as well.

Are you sure that the fan carrying the sign didn't attend the previous show? 
What was the song?

4 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Are you sure that the fan carrying the sign didn't attend the previous show? 
What was the song?

Last show was Greensboro, NC 2 days prior. And the song was Expressway to your Heart

17 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Another possibility is it could’ve been a fan at a previous show that was going to the next show.  He saw the sign and thought it would be fun to play.  They practiced it, he saw the fan/sign again...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Last show was Greensboro, NC 2 days prior. And the song was Expressway to your Heart

The same fan could easily have been at both shows.  People do travel to multiple shows, especially if they're making a holiday of it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rizla said:

The same fan could easily have been at both shows.  People do travel to multiple shows, especially if they're making a holiday of it.

i have heard of these type of people - weirdos is what they are :D

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, AMIW said:

Are you over 300 yet? 

• Haha 1

Just now, AMIW said:

There are a few of us them on this forum. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rizla said:

There are a few of us them on this forum. 

some are much weirder than others

46 minutes ago, AMIW said:

some are much weirder than others

As is often said on this forum... I resemble that remark! 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Are you over 300 yet? 

He’s old but not that old 

Just now, davemunday said:

He’s old but not that old 

:lol:, I think you know I meant shows! :D

• Haha 2

I've seen people make signs for songs that are played during a soundcheck after hearing it whilst in the line or in the pit before the show with the hope of Bruce picking their sign knowing it is likely to be played that night

• Like 3