Sign in to follow this  
JimCT

RIP Joseph Shabalala

founder of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, 78 - https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/africa/joseph-shabalala-ladysmith-black-mambazo-dies/index.html

I was lucky enough to see them at the Beacon Theater decades ago, wonderful venue to highlight their rich tones. Towards the end of the show a neighborhood resident who lived at the end of the block (Paul Simon :Dwandered in and joined them for several songs.

• Like 3

I hope these two men are harmonizing somewhere in a better place.

• Like 2

I saw LBM live a few times. I only ever saw Paul Simon once, on his single tour of SA in 1992. The Born at the Right Time Tour.

As my first real big international concert experience, it was quite something. Paul Simon... Steve Gadd on drums... the Brecker Brothers... LBM doing the Graceland songs with Paul... Miriam Makeba singing Under African Skies with Paul. And of course, all the other SA musos who created Graceland with him, like the late great Ray Phiri on guitar... What a night. If you're familiar with the Paul Simon Concert in Central Park album, it was essentially that show but with a special vibe being in Johannesburg. And it was evident even back then that Paul and Joseph were genuinely good friends.

Hamba Kahle nDoda.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

I saw a couple of shows on the original Graceland Tour. LBM stole the show.

• Like 2