Greasy Lake Community

I might get scolded for this, but here goes.  Devils and Dust was really off putting for me.  I bought it, listened to it once, and I thought, "I can't find one note of enjoyable music on this entire album."  What does this have to do with 2006?  I actually lost interest in Bruce for a while...until I watched Live in Dublin on PBS and fell in love with that version of Atlantic City.  I had little interest in Pete Seeger or that type of music before that night, but Springsteen's treatment was refreshing and original.  After I watched the PBS special, bought the album and liked it...I didn't LOVE it, but it brought me back into the world of Springsteen; I do regret not having seen any shows on the tour.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bocajoes said:

What does this have to do with 2006?

With both tours -2005 and 2006- and with the Seeger album Bruce got out of his comfort zone.

Not so much the D&D album Itself, which has some great lyrics but is musically a little bit dull album (not all songs).

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, stevie54uk said:

the whole show was brilliant, , highlights for me in Sheffield was a version of the River that had me in tears and a rousing Youngstown in the steel City,  would much rather he did  another similar tour than a greatest hits show probably unpopular but there you are

Weirdly I don’t remember The River from that night at all! Must find a copy. But Youngstown was wonderful and the local dedication much appreciated. I think his cousin Frank sang on it too. The show opened with Blinded which I just love in that arrangement. Likewise the rearrangements of Further on up the road and Atlantic City.

When the album was announced I wasn’t sure about it at all. But I bought it, went to the first show in Dublin and just loved it. Such a joyous and uplifting concert, even by Bruce’s standards. You could see he was enjoying being Bruce the Bandleader, egging the musicians on and at one point literally pushing the banjo player to the front of the stage for his solo. The band seemed to grow in confidence as the tour progressed. I wish John Henry had been included on the live album though, for me it was one of the highlights of the shows and a strange omission. 

I ended up seeing 5 shows on the tour, including 2 of the 3 filmed for Live in Dublin. In Manchester I miraculously picked up 2nd row tickets in the drop on the day of the show -  for some reason there were seats on the floor for that one - which turned out to be right in front of Bruce! Everyone stood up anyway of course and after a couple of songs Bruce beckoned us forward and we just hurdled the seats to stand next to the stage. I don’t recall much about the band that night, I only had eyes for one man... :D and the amazing energy he puts into his performance from up close.  

Happy days!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Love the 5-song PBS thing too. I had it d/l'ed somewhere but haven't found it in ages.

Digression: Am I the only one who feels a bit apprehensive typing "I love SS", but then I do it anyway because here, people know what I'm referring to (hopefully...)?

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Digression: Am I the only one who feels a bit apprehensive typing "I love SS"

We all understand. You have needs and desires, just like the rest of us. We are here for you man.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Love the 5-song PBS thing too. I had it d/l'ed somewhere but haven't found it in ages.

Digression: Am I the only one who feels a bit apprehensive typing "I love SS", but then I do it anyway because here, people know what I'm referring to (hopefully...)?

It's a shame that when they uploaded all those B Sides to the digital streaming media a few years back that they didn't include that PBS collection. Some great stuff on that.

• Like 2

"Long Time Comin'" and "Growin' Up" from Live in Dublin are just the best versions of those songs ever.

"How Can a Poor Man..." is in my top ten BOSS songs ever.

I loved this tour, the tour and my memories of this tour are in my all time life memories.

I met lots of people, the pubs, the line, the friends i made still impact my life now.

I'm getting old, i can't remember what i did two days ago, but i remember that tour, loved it..all of it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

"Long Time Comin'" and "Growin' Up" from Live in Dublin are just the best versions of those songs ever.

Completely agree about "Long Time Comin'", I've made a point of writing about it in the past: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/03/06/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series-part-4/ (it's #30 in the list)

And just in case any of you haven't seen/heard it. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Completely agree about "Long Time Comin'", I've made a point of writing about it in the past: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/03/06/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series-part-4/ (it's #30 in the list)

And just in case any of you haven't seen/heard it. Enjoy!

K

if i had a pound for everytime I've listened to that version i'd be comfortably well off

tonight I listened to it as you posted it, i'm crying lots but its helping if that makes sense.

I love this version of this song sooooo much

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, Bocajoes said:

Devils and Dust was really off putting for me

my wife bought it for me xmas/birthday cant remember which i played it once and thought i hated it and put it away . months later i played it again and i loved it and have loved it since and maybe without devils there would have been no seeger sessions possibly

The 2006 tour was spectacular. And to a certain extent, it ”shows” what a WS could have been, had Bruce chosen to tour behind it. Coming off two massive E Street tours and a solo acoustic one, Bruce had both the freedom and the challenge to reinvent himself live at that time. Likewise, the 2010s E Street tours + the SOB residency, and the challenges of performing WS onstage, could have given Bruce the perfect conditions for replicating something as brilliant and new as the 2006 tour, IMHO.

• Like 3