Sign in to follow this  
Daisey Jeep

So ..... tell us about your first time

Seeing Bruce

And if you were in the back row doing something else you bring shame on your fandom! 

Any way your first Bruce show?

Expectations?

Setist ?

What ever you want to shear

Something we all have (i hope - my heart breaks for anyone here who hasn't seen him live yet) in common is a first show

Some thing we can all related to no matter how close or far away we live from the turnpike

It took me 4 plane rides and over 30 hours to get to my first show in Moncton

I'd really like Nugs to put it out because my crowd sourced boot is pretty horrible

Anyway being part of the living breathing entity that is born to run is the high light of my life so far 

My highlights were the river, BTR, the Rising (everyone knew the words !).my city of ruins had really beautiful blue lights

Soozie's lovelly playing in front of a full moon with her hair in the breeze 

How wounderful Charlie was

The beautiful perfect acoustics i didn't appreate until my 2nd concert 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

It was the opening show of the Born In the USA tour. I'm from Minnesota so he was playing 20 minutes from my house. I was a senior in high school so my parents let me stay out all night to get tickets and I was 4th in line and got 1st row seats.

I remember Dancing in the Dark being played twice for the video and the girl who we didn't know was Courtney Cox going up to dance with Bruce.

He opened with Thunder Road which I didn't really appreciate at the time.

I remember being so into it that I felt sick after the 1st set. He closed it with Badlands and Born In the Usa but the order could be reversed. I also thought the synth version of I'm A rocker was weird, and he played Street Fighting Man by the Stones.

It was kind of disorganized compared to the other times I've seen him. Patti wasn't on stage when she was introduced and Bruce had to go look up the words to Jungleland.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

18 minutes ago, dantheman12 said:

It was the opening show of the Born In the USA tour. I'm from Minnesota so he was playing 20 minutes from my house. I was a senior in high school so my parents let me stay out all night to get tickets and I was 4th in line and got 1st row seats.

I remember Dancing in the Dark being played twice for the video and the girl who we didn't know was Courtney Cox going up to dance with Bruce.

He opened with Thunder Road which I didn't really appreciate at the time.

I remember being so into it that I felt sick after the 1st set. He closed it with Badlands and Born In the Usa but the order could be reversed. I also thought the synth version of I'm A rocker was weird, and he played Street Fighting Man by the Stones.

It was kind of disorganized compared to the other times I've seen him. Patti wasn't on stage when she was introduced and Bruce had to go look up the words to Jungleland.

Wow !

Do you know how far into the tour your show was ?

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Wow !

Do you know how far into the tour your show was ?

Opening night, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was stupid back then. Because I didn't get Bruce. I was more into heavier music. I can tell you a buddy from school had seats in the third row on the floor of this small theater. 3100 seats. 

1978-11-25, Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO

Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour

Badlands

Streets of Fire

Spirit in the Night

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Independence Day

The Promised Land

Prove It All Night

Racing in the Street

Thunder Road

Jungleland

For You

The Ties That Bind

Fire

Candy's Room

Because the Night

Point Blank

Mona

She's the One

Backstreets

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Born to Run

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

Detroit Medley

Quarter to Three

• Bruuuuce! 2

First concert for me was February 12, 2016 (just noticed that tomorrow is 4 years since then, wow)

The River is probably my favorite Bruce album, so getting to hear the whole thing was neat. Hearing Jungleland was cool as well.

Second show was Philly September 7, 2016. Record breaker show. Much better than the first one, though I wasn't as big of a fan and I didn't know many of the earlier songs he played that night. So I heard a good chunk of WIESS and didn't realized other than Rosalita.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, AMIW said:

Misleading thread title of the year award

She is such a tease isn`t she.;)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

Yeah, I was all ready to talk about perfume, gin, the lost smell on my breath as I... well, that's enough of that at any rate.

• Haha 4

My first time.... Well, gosh, I remember it so vividly! 

I was 19 years old at that time. I was just in my first year of university, studying mathematics. I was learning a lot about science, but as we entered the night, I was about to learn a lot more about life itself!! 

One of the things that stood out was... that.... I.... fainted! 

Still not sure how that had happened. Anxiety? Nerves? Maybe. Luckily I recovered very quickly. 

Another thing that came as an unexpected surprise to me, was the amount of stamina required to last the entire evening! 

But all in all it was magical. Will never forget it.

I was going down, down down... 

"Cover me!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was eight at the time of my first Springsteen concert so I don't remember that much but I do remember being amazed by the magic of his performance and the feeling that it was the best thing that I had ever seen, which it still is. 

• Bruuuuce! 2

1 hour ago, Mumford said:

I was eight at the time of my first Springsteen concert so I don't remember that much but I do remember being amazed by the magic of his performance and the feeling that it was the best thing that I had ever seen, which it still is. 

Hello Mumford

Im sorry i havn't said hello sooner

And a belated welcome

You were one lucky 8 year old ! 

HI Daisey!

Around 1982 a couple of my mates and I had left school and started working.  Which of course meant that we were now men of means.  I recall one night (there may have been drinking involved) that 4 of us pledged that we would head on over to Europe/USA the next time that Springsteen toured, as we were sure that he would never come down here.

Then he released BITUSA and all bets were off. He was coming down under.  Tickets went on sale and I was queued at the BASS outlet at Myer Melbourne.  I bought 10 tickets (All GA) at $23 each for the 3/Apr/1985 show.  A lot of money for me at the time but 9 other mates were depending on me.  As I was walking out, they announced a second show as the 80,000 tickets had sold out.  So I joined the queue again and bought another 10 tickets for the following night.

Result.

At the time I was working for a travel company and air tickets were cheap for me.  I put the word out with all my Sydney work contacts that I needed tickets for some shows up there.  Sure enough, one of them came through for me and let me know that I could have 2 tickets for not much more than list price.  

Result.

So I went to my boss and explained to him that I would need to take a couple of days off to go to Sydney to see Springsteen.  He didn't really get it.  I couldn't believe it when he said I couldn't. It goes without saying that, well, he ain't my boss no more.

No Result.

So finally the time came around and as the Melbourne Showgrounds was an 80,000 General admission venue, we queued up and slept out overnight.  The organisers put us all in the Hall of Manufacturers overnight where a few hundred of us tried to get some sleep. 

Mid afternoon, they opened the roll-a-door to let us into the venue.  The crush was frightening, but eventually we burst out into the sunshine and sprinted about 800 metres to the stage.  My group selected a nice spot about 10 metres back centre stage.

Result.

We had about 4 hours to wait. No problem. I can still remember the paperback I read (A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin) as I was waiting. I also remember that I was wearing a Stoneage Romeos shirt (I love the Gurus). As the day progressed, more and more of my extended group began making their way in. As luck would have it, the security at the venue was being run by a firm (Newbreed security) that was managed by the brother of one of us. We knew most of the team, and as our various colleagues came in, the security team brought them around to join up with us.  By showtime, there may have been 25-30 of us huddled together in the best spot in the venue.

Dusk approached.  We waited.  The sun moved further west.  We waited. There was a law in place at the time that any international act must have a local support act, and so, to their credit, the promoters put an unamplified string quartet on the edge of the stage, where they played 4 very enjoyable string versions of Springsteen songs. From 10 metres away, we could just about hear them.

They finished. The sun moved further west.  It was almost over the horizon, when - BAM.
You never forget your first.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, AMIW said:

I was just about to say I was in year 8 and it was with a Marist Brother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

First time seeing Bruce; Newcastle 4th June 1985. Travelled down by train from Edinburgh with my mate and his then girlfriend (now wife of 32 years) and her friend. BITUSA tour, Life changing experience. Never seen or heard anything to equal it since. Seen Bruce a further 23 times since then.

That other first time; A total let down compared to the above !!

• Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, whispered secret said:

We could turn it into a poll - which 'first time' was more memorable...:wub:

Let me think, 3 minutes or 3 hours! ;)

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, whispered secret said:

We could turn it into a poll - which 'first time' was more memorable...:wub:

Bruce :(

• Bruuuuce! 1

Both stared with darkness, lasted longer than I imagined, with sweat and similar level of physical exaustion. It was loud and included some weird movements (Shane!). And the muscle pain on the next day.

It wasn't the best I ever had, not even close...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Newcastle City Hall, 1981. My husband said he hoped I wouldn't get up and dance … so I gave the spare to my brother. My seat was back row on the aisle so I danced almost all night long although others weren't allowed - me being in the back row must have swayed it … plus the look I gave one usher who walked towards me, intent on telling me to sit down. He decided against it. :D A night to remember.

As for the 'other first' -  roll back 13 years, husband to be (same fella), another memorable event with the extra excitement of having to keep an ear out for his parents in case they came home from holiday early.  

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

There were two missed opportunities during the glory days of the 80s - the first was summer 1985.  I was 16 years old and in the middle of football training camp.  One of my neighbors had an extra for the first Veteran's Stadium show in Philly, but my parents wouldn't let me go because I had "responsibilities."  The second was in 1988, I had moved on to college and was busy with pledging a fraternity and classes, so the voices of my parents' lecture about "prior commitments" echoed in my ears, while bunch of my dorm buddies went to the Landover, MD show and I stayed behind.  My first show wasn't until August of 1992 in Philly.  New band, a bunch of new songs, seats behind the stage, it didn't matter because it was Bruce and he could have recited from Shakespere for three hours and I would have left happy!  First show with the E Street Band was 7/18/99 in Jersey and it was a religious experience.  My father had died a week earlier and I was hurting emotionally.  Bruce and the band lifted my soul for three hours and made the pain go away.  

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

6 hours ago, MacBruce said:

First time seeing Bruce; Newcastle 4th June 1985. Travelled down by train from Edinburgh with my mate and his then girlfriend (now wife of 32 years) and her friend. BITUSA tour, Life changing experience. Never seen or heard anything to equal it since. Seen Bruce a further 23 times since then.

My first time also, I was possibly on the same train as you.

I didn't manage to get to The Playhouse in 81, I was still in school and didn't have the wherewithal, in any event I was more of a heavy metal kid at that time......I seem to recall something weird happened with the dates, was there not a postponement for a few months and a second night added?

Anyway, 85 was my first go around.

My other first time was a few years earlier.

Both times I thought I was in love.

I was only right once.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Barcelona 2002. I ended up on a DVD. Drove for a day, slept outside and ran like crazy to be in the front.

I remember how I felt when I first saw him, I remember how I felt when Clarence played his first solo of the night (on Prove It), I remember having a Thunder Road as a real encore after I’d lost all hope I’d get it (and sobbing like a baby), I remember the exhilaration of being there and I remember having a series of cramps in my legs for all the exercise and dehydration. 

My other first time... Boy, what a trainwreck... Luckily, she became my wife.

• Bruuuuce! 3

2 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

My other first time... Boy, what a trainwreck... Luckily, she became my wife.

Believe me, I think they all understand. But since your first happens to be your wife, she most likely expects a little bit more now! :)

• Haha 2