So ..... tell us about your first time

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Misleading thread title of the year award

The Capitol Theatre, Passaic NJ, 9/20/1978.  Nothing further needs to be said.  I was there and no one can ever take that experience away from me.  Bruce at his absolute best.

I have to add that the guy I was at my first gig with, was also my first, and he was the one who had introduced me to Bruce. Forever grateful. At the time of the concert, he was already my ex boy

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Welcome to our little club @Bocajoes. Sounds like you will fit right in. 

I should mention that I'm not exactly a noob.  I used to post on Greasy Lake back in 1999-2000, but somehow I just drifted away and I just returned.  

• Like 3

So good I went back for more the next night........

1985-01-18 - GREENSBORO COLISEUM, GREENSBORO, NC

Soundcheck: CINDY

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / OUT IN THE STREET / DARLINGTON COUNTY / JOHNNY 99 / ATLANTIC CITY / REASON TO BELIEVE / SHUT OUT THE LIGHT / JOHNNY BYE-BYE / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / PINK CADILLAC / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Gary U.S. Bonds and Robbin Thompson) / RAMROD

Set features Gary U.S. Bonds and Robbin Thompson guesting on backing vocals on "Twist And Shout" - "Do You Love Me". "Johnny Bye-Bye" includes the "Mystery Train" outro. "Detroit Medley" includes "Travelin' Band".

1985-01-19 - GREENSBORO COLISEUM, GREENSBORO, NC

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / DARLINGTON COUNTY / JOHNNY 99 / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / REASON TO BELIEVE / USED CARS / TRAPPED / OUT IN THE STREET / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / NO SURRENDER / I'M ON FIRE / GROWIN' UP / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME / SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN

28-song set in Greensboro includes "Used Cars". "Reason To Believe" includes a bit of "Amazing Grace" on harmonica during the introduction. "Growin' Up" features the bear story. "Detroit Medley" includes "Travelin' Band".

I know I have told this story before on here, so please move along if you have already heard it!

My first was June 1981 at Birmingham NEC, a show which had been postponed from March due to Bruce's health. Prior to the concert I really didn't know anything about him - I must have heard his music as Mr J had all the albums to date but, as often happens in this house, music is playing but I don't listen. Over the years I have been with Mr J to many, many shows. Some people I like, others I just think, no, never again. He had got tickets for us, telling me he thought I would like him!

Had the show not been postponed, I doubt I would have gone, as our adopted son joined our family on 16th March, so I was unlikely to have left him with the grandparents a few days later. However, by June, I knew he would be fine.

Queuing up to go on I apparently said to Mr J 'I have no idea why I am here, I don't even know who this bloke is', I don't recall this, but he insists these were my words.

About two songs in, I was totally smitten and have never looked back. We still both think it is the best gig we have ever been to.

As for the other first, the less said the better...37D80A58-74FD-42EA-ACAE-71360F328F00.thumb.jpeg.57859052bb1fcccce4b324355db3e6c6.jpeg1B3FB064-27C5-42DE-8D7A-CC83FBA62E0E.thumb.jpeg.ddf2e3b79aee19d08053b1e57f7f2c89.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
6 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

@1651997 I thought i was the only person who combined a Bruce obsession with a Queen obsession .... Doesn't really feel like a natural fit :)

There's a few of us who've managed that. 

I'm not the Queen fan I was, though - my last true Queen Phase was back in 2012. I'll still listen to them from time to time, but I don't think it'll ever be the same. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

@1651997 I thought i was the only person who combined a Bruce obsession with a Queen obsession .... Doesn't really feel like a natural fit :)

I thought I was the only one as well haha! I'm glad I'm not alone on this :) 

@Paolo's Circus Story you should come back to the Queen Obsession game as well, eheh!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bocajoes said:

I should mention that I'm not exactly a noob.  I used to post on Greasy Lake back in 1999-2000, but somehow I just drifted away and I just returned.  

Always good to have people back :)

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Wembley Arena, 1981.

Excitement and expectations were huge.

Acoustics were rubbish.

Its comments like this that makes seeing Bruce in Moncton worthwhile 

I might not have got my 78 intro but the sound was brilliant and as a concert venue - for Bruce or anyone else (St Pope John Paul spoke there once) if anyone gets the opertunity of seeing a concert there do not hesitate

Its the most perfect natural ampethetre

I remember Bruce and the band starting to play

We were quite a way back because ive never stood in much of a crowd before 

There was plenty of room and we mamaged to get a bit closer with out upsetting anyone

But anyway ...

Honestly when Bruce started to play i thought i was having a heart attack

I could feel the music come up from the grass under my feet right up through  my toes right up through my entire body 

It was like the heart beat of the ESB

They obviously had turned Garry up ! 

In Auckland i got in the front row twice but ive never felt that again

And he's never loud enough (Bruce - nor Garry)

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Some Epic stories on here .... My story is more about the pain of NOT seeing Bruce ....I had picked up Darkness on release day from Sam Goody's at the local mall and rushed home to listen with my best Bruce buddy .... by the time the sax solo started on Badlands i was in full rock and roll ecstasy.

My friend happened upon a ticket for a show in august ..... we whined and pleaded with the guy who bought the tickets to ditch his Brother and take me. I thought i had a shot .... didn't happen.:(

Flash forward to October of 1980 and tried to get two tickets for the Buffalo show ...and they sold out .... i was really upset .... I'm sure i was whining quite a bit when i heard my former Dorm RA said he knew a kid in his dorm who had extra tickets. Now i liked this guy ...but he could be a bit of a storyteller at times ....and as the weeks went by and there were no tickets .... I was sure i had been bullsh@#ted....But miraculously ....they appeared .... my girlfriend let the Greyhound drive all night from Albany ....  and we were in my friends car on our way from college to the Buffalo Auditorium ....at which point the car broke down .....that was it ..... i was cursed .... but somehow we broke down like 50 yards from a service station and made it .... finally ....

Blown away by the chutzpah of opening with BTR ..... I Fought The Law blew the roof off ...my girlfriend got the one song she wanted ( For You ) ...We Got Santa ...and i have this memory of just holding my girl and swaying to the beauty of  the music in the dark ...which i realize must have been Drive All Night ....

And of course Detroit Medley ....which pretty much ruined me for any other encore ....

And that show that sent us scrambling to Nassau Coliseum 27 days later hoping we could somehow get in. I didn't know that "The Drop" was a thing for 20 some years after that ...But apparently we were the big time beneficiary of that phenomenon on that New Years Eve almost 40 years ago. 

So i thought i should ask my girl ( who has a much better memory than her old husband ) what memories she had .....apparently she had a test that day and played the old my mother is sick card ...bad karma i guess but i sure am glad she did .:D....) And i don't know how i forgot the marriage proposal during "I Wanna Marry You" ....i wonder how many times that has happened to that song :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
9 hours ago, VABOSSFAN said:

So good I went back for more the next night........

1985-01-18 - GREENSBORO COLISEUM, GREENSBORO, NC

Soundcheck: CINDY

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / OUT IN THE STREET / DARLINGTON COUNTY / JOHNNY 99 / ATLANTIC CITY / REASON TO BELIEVE / SHUT OUT THE LIGHT / JOHNNY BYE-BYE / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / PINK CADILLAC / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Gary U.S. Bonds and Robbin Thompson) / RAMROD

Set features Gary U.S. Bonds and Robbin Thompson guesting on backing vocals on "Twist And Shout" - "Do You Love Me". "Johnny Bye-Bye" includes the "Mystery Train" outro. "Detroit Medley" includes "Travelin' Band".

1985-01-19 - GREENSBORO COLISEUM, GREENSBORO, NC

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / DARLINGTON COUNTY / JOHNNY 99 / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / REASON TO BELIEVE / USED CARS / TRAPPED / OUT IN THE STREET / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / NO SURRENDER / I'M ON FIRE / GROWIN' UP / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME / SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN

28-song set in Greensboro includes "Used Cars". "Reason To Believe" includes a bit of "Amazing Grace" on harmonica during the introduction. "Growin' Up" features the bear story. "Detroit Medley" includes "Travelin' Band".

And on the 26th Day of Christmas Bruce Springsteen gave to me ....Santa Claus is coming to town. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

November 29th, 1999. The Last Show of the Century. Target Center. Minneapolis, MN. 

You don't forget your first. ;)

01 My love will not let you down
02 Prove it all night
03 Two hearts
04 Trapped
05 Darlington county
06 Red headed woman
07 Factory
08 Point blank
09 Youngstown
10 Murder inc.
11 Badlands
12 Out in the street
13 10th avenue freeze-out
14 Where the bands are
15 Working on the highway
16 No surrender
17 Racing in the street
18 Light of day
19 Hungry heart
20 Ramrod
21 Born to run
22 Santa Claus is comin' to town
23 Thunder road
24 If I should fall behind
25 Land of hope and dreams

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I already had Born To Run and sometime late 1980 a friend played me The River. Shortly afterwards I saw a small advert in Saturday's Yorkshire Evening Post for a coach trip in March 1981 to Bruce's concert in Birmingham. I rang from work on the Monday to find out the cost - £15.00 each for coach and ticket, delivered by Registered post.

Of course the UK dates were postponed and the concert rescheduled to 8 June, the last night of the European Tour. I remember someone having a cassette they gave the coach driver to play on the way down and as we got off the coach the driver told us to be back on the coach "as soon as the last record has finished".

When the next tour came around in 1985 I bought tickets for the Leeds show, but again that was the end of the tour and I didn't want to wait that long, so I booked another coach trip to the first Newcastle show at the start of the tour.

The Ties That Bind

Prove It All Night

Out in the Street

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Follow That Dream

Johnny Bye Bye

Jackson Cage

Trapped

Two Hearts

The Promised Land

The River

This Land Is Your Land

Who'll Stop the Rain?

Badlands

Thunder Road

You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

Cadillac Ranch

Sherry Darling

Hungry Heart

Jole Blon

Fire

I Wanna Marry You

Racing in the Street

Ramrod

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Jungleland

Born to Run

Detroit Medley

Rockin' All Over the World

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

November 23, 1980

Cap Center, Landover, Maryland

I had a secret Ticketmaster desk that always seemed to be vacant when shows went on sale, scored front row lowers, halfway back.

Driven there by my older gal pal, who I hoped to make another first.  But alas, even with Bruce greasing the skids, no luck for me.  She did track me down years later, broken and divorced, but found me 30 years happy with m'lady, her loss, my gain. :D

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but... My first time of seeing Bruce live was Helsinki "over 4 hours" on 31 July 2012. I'll be forever grateful me and a friend of mine finally went to see Bruce that summer. I had so much fun at the show that went by so fast 4 hours only felt like an hour and a half. We had seats (never again!) but I didn't really need mine (unlike most people around us who stayed firmly on their seats until the start of BitUSA).

Some of the biggest highlights for me were LOHAD, Light of Day (I couldn't believe I got to hear it at my very first Bruce show!), Loose Ends, Dancing in the Dark and Does This Bus Stop, to name but a few. It was also great to hear Lonesome Day 'cause that's the song that had started my interest in Bruce nearly a decade earlier. There were also some songs that I kind of missed 'cause I wasn't into them that much at the time. Detroit Medley was one of them. 

Even though we didn't get Jungleland (which I felt should've been played), that gig wasn't too bad for a first Bruce show. 

The first time I saw Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band was 29 april 1981, Rotterdam, a wonderful experience

1 Run Through The Jungle 

2 Prove It All Night

3 The Ties That Bind

4 Darkness On the Edge Of Town

5 Independence Day

6 Factory

7 Who'll Stop The Rain?

8 Two Hearts

9 Out In The Street

10 Thunder Road

11 This Land is Your Land

12 The River

13 The Promised Land

14 Badlands

15 Cadillac Ranch

16 Sherry Darling

17 Hungry Heart

18 Fire

19 You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

20 Wreck On The Highway

21 Racing In The Street

22 Backstreets

23 Candy's Room

24 Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

25 Born To Run

26 Detroit Medley

27 I'm a Rocker

28 Rocking All Over The World

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1