Sign in to follow this  
CrushOnOutlawPete

Weirdest Springsteen songs?

Open-ended question. Which one do you think is the weirdest, however you define it? For bonus points, pick something besides "Chicken Lips and Lizard Hips" or "A Night With The Jersey Devil"...

I gotta say, one of the weirdest is -- maybe a hot take here -- "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)". I mean, musically, it's great. Got a total 50s vibe, I really like it. Fun, silly vocals, great guitar and rapid drums, the complete package totally has a classic rock-n'-roll influence I really dig that sounds similar to some other stuff in his catalog, yet distinct from it.

But lyrically, WOW this song is weird. Like, it sets a lovable, kinda nostalgic, charming picture of small-town, vaguely rebellious romance, and it's all very cute and innocent -- then halfway through, literally out of nowhere, she runs off with another guy, murders him, and that's basically the song. Like... what? It's like "County Fair" suddenly turning into "Murder Incorporated" or something.

Both halves of the song are very well done -- I mean, "First, she took his order; then she took his heart!", that's a great line. "When they caught her, all she said was she couldn't stand the way he drove" - awesome. But putting those lines in the same song?? It feels like he had two great ideas for a song but then just stitched them randomly down the middle, and it throws me off every friggin' time I hear it. I got no idea what he's going for. Narratively, that song is so baffling. How well-done each half is and how great it is musically makes it easy to overlook, but that is a weird fucking song.

What are your picks?

• Like 4

I guess 57 Channels is pretty weird.

The song itself is awesome with hilarious lyrics and a groovy bassline that just works great. 

In the end when he goes to buy a gun you're expecting the song to take to more of a grim ending but he just ends up shooting his tv and then going to court for disturbing the peace. That completely unexpected ending and the way he defends himself by saying there was nothing on just always makes me laugh. 

A weird, awesome and hilarious song that is the proof of Mr. Springsteens creative genius and his ability to write a good song whatever the topic is. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I must say my first thought was lizard lips but excellent call on small things

And its nice to find another fan of 57 channels 

• Like 2

Weirdest in a good or in a bad way? There are both...

• Like 1

"Mary Queen of Arkansas" is weird, "Loose Change" is a dodgy one anarl. Even a song like "State Trooper" has its moments of "the fuck made him write this?!" - "Reno" is of that ilk too. 

• Like 1

Lift Me Up is downright strange.

So is that other falsetto song on D and D. Can't remember the title because I don't listen to the album because it's rubbish.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I'm on fire, anyone?

Pervy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stillilllife said:

I'm on fire, anyone?

Nooooooo

• Like 3

Just now, Promise61 said:

Pervy.

Nooooo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Silvia said:

Nooooo

:D

I think we discussed its perviness in detail a while back. Seems I was in the minority when I considered it pervy.

:blink:

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

:D

I think we discussed its perviness in detail a while back. Seems I was in the minority when I considered it pervy.

:blink:

The men don't know, but the little girls (!) understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Loose Change" is a dodgy one anarl.

Why?

6 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Nay, nay and thrice nay.

Can I add a 4th nay :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, gus said:

Paolo lunatic? Promise rubbish?

I can't speak for Promise's point, but aye the lyrics of "Blinded" are that of a lunatic. Bruce has said as much himself in the past. 

16 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Whey it's just a song about shagging a prostitute isn't it? Bit odd. 

No, I don't think it is.  I think there are two different women and they are just casual pick-ups. 
It's an intriguing song in which we are free to fill in the background for ourselves.   There are all sorts of possibilities. 

• Like 3