Sign in to follow this  
CrushOnOutlawPete

Weirdest Springsteen songs?

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

The men don't know, but the little girls (!) understand.

Isn't this usually the case? :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Mary Queen of Arkansas" is weird, "Loose Change" is a dodgy one anarl. Even a song like "State Trooper" has its moments of "the fuck made him write this?!" - "Reno" is of that ilk too. 

Mary QoA was the first one that came to mind for me too - what the fuck is that all about? Yep and Bishop Danced. Utter nonsense. Thundercrack anyone?

• Like 2

The entire Western Stars album is weird. Wild Orses? Wayfarer? Sleepy Joe’s Cafe?I’m still waiting for him to announce he was just joking.

Queen of the Supermarket is a pretty weird song. Wild Billy’s Circus Story. Many more. He has no shortage of weird songs.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I’m still waiting for him to announce he was just joking.

I thought he was just kidding when the album came out. But changed my mind on that part after watching the film. But still my 19th favorite! 

I think the weirdest is Lift Me Up, as it just isn't Bruce, as is WS just isn't Bruce. 

"Without You" from the Blood Brothers bonus ep.

A really silly and weird song. The opening lines "Monday, I go to work / Tuesday, can't find my shirt" set the tone. It's like the lyrics were written by Forrest Gump.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I think the weirdest is Lift Me Up, as it just isn't Bruce, as is WS just isn't Bruce.

I'm pretty sure they are Bruce.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rizla said:

No, I don't think it is.  I think there are two different women and they are just casual pick-ups. 
It's an intriguing song in which we are free to fill in the background for ourselves.   There are all sorts of possibilities. 

Disc 4 of Tracks has so many beautiful songs! That surely is one of them. Leavin’ Train, Seven Angela and Trouble in Paradise are pretty terrible, but all the others are, to my ears, really great. I wish Bruce had made some different choices in the first half of the 90’s...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Whey it's just a song about shagging a prostitute isn't it? Bit odd. 

Isn't it more  a song about regret and a lost love

He might be otherwise engaged with the working lady, but its not about her or what they are doing together other than that it wasn't very good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm pretty sure they are Bruce.

If a friend of your's (not a Bruce fan) was wondering about your fandom. What would you play him/her as this is Bruce Springsteen. And if you say Lift Me Up and or Western Stars. I believe you would be lying. I bet you pick Thunder Road, Jungleland or others. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

If a friend of your's (not a Bruce fan) was wondering about your fandom. What would you play him/her as this is Bruce Springsteen. And if you say Lift Me Up and or Western Stars. I believe you would be lying. I bet you pick Thunder Road, Jungleland or others. 

I may have done this more than a few times (it never worked)

But i tailored the choice of song to the perspective listener

So ive used all sorts of songs including the 78 intro

But also newer  songs like rocky ground 

I thought Gary was going to love WS - but he didn't like rhinestone cowboy 

7 hours ago, Wbt774 said:

Local Hero

Is that not sort of autobiographical?

• Like 2

Oh I have too, Daisey. I've used Thunder Road, Jungleland, Prove it, and other before mattering who I was selling. But never Lift Me Up or Western Stars. How could I describe Bruce if I don't believe in either of them?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Pervy.

Sexy... 

• Like 1

I love alot of the songs so far on people's lists 

I love tracks disk 4 

Loose change, trouble in paradise - its not so much weird as just domestic snd small and Bruce so often writes about small lives

I just really love that era and 

Lift me up - love that bonus disk ! 

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh I have too, Daisey. I've used Thunder Road, Jungleland, Prove it, and other before mattering who I was selling. But never Lift Me Up or Western Stars. How could I describe Bruce if I don't believe in either of them?  

Its true as much as i l really enjoy listening to all im thinking about with a huge smile on my face i never even attempted that one just going on Gary's reaction ! 

I did try the Joad album on the neighbour

30 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Seven Angela

Love Seven Angels!  It’s one of my all time faves... 

5 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Is that not sort of autobiographical?

I thought so too. 

1 minute ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Love Seven Angels!  It’s one of my all time faves..

Best tune on #4

• Bruuuuce! 1

3 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Sexy... 

Definatly 

And i still enjoy the video

Although i think the song has dark overtones of paralyzing loneliness (i did read once Bruce said as much)

When Gary's under the car lying on his creeper i fantasize about Bruce Springsteen rolling back out :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

Although i think the song has dark overtones of paralyzing loneliness (i did read once Bruce said as much)

I think I remember hearing that as well.  Can definitely see that.  

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

When Gary's under the car lying on his creeper i fantasize about Bruce Springsteen rolling back out :lol:

:lol: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mumford said:

I guess 57 Channels is pretty weird.

The song itself is awesome with hilarious lyrics and a groovy bassline that just works great. 

In the end when he goes to buy a gun you're expecting the song to take to more of a grim ending but he just ends up shooting his tv and then going to court for disturbing the peace. That completely unexpected ending and the way he defends himself by saying there was nothing on just always makes me laugh. 

A weird, awesome and hilarious song that is the proof of Mr. Springsteens creative genius and his ability to write a good song whatever the topic is. 

"57 Channels" is an excellent pick, and I thought it'd be one of the first ones named! I'm... less fond of it than you are, haha, but I agree that it's a very, very odd track.

13 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Swallowed up (in the belly of the whale). 

What's weird about me is that I love this one! I don't think it's an odd track at all, very underrated -- it totally works as an acoustic number like a lot of his other work, but it's certainly bleaker and more minimalist than they are, but I don't think that's at all a weird thing. It fits for the message of total desolation he's trying to tell.

12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Blinded By The Light" is the ramblings of a fuckin' lunatic. 

Haha, that's fair. Lots of mentions to early Bruce here and it's hard to argue with that -- of course, at the same time, a lot of those songs are at home within the canon: like I feel like I'd say "Blinded by the Light" is a weird song... but, not a weird one within the context of the time. I'd say only "Bishop Danced" and "Wild Billy's Circus Story" QUITE rise to the level of feeling weird even amidst the others. There's some great poetry in "Blinded by the Light" -- I used to have a hard time parsing almost anything the song was trying to say, but I've started to understand the real message and theme it's going for more and more over time.

But, yeah, I still have to imagine anyone who decided to just go chronologically after only hearing BitUSA had a weird time with that one. It's definitely an odd opener considering his general public image and speaks to his outstanding diversity as a songwriter.

12 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The Klansman is pretty odd.

Excellent choice.

11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Reno" is of that ilk too. 

Good call on "Reno", I should have expected someone to name that. I mean, it makes sense. It tells a good story. It fits on the album. But, no matter how you slice it, the fact that "Two-fifty up the ass" is an actual Springsteen lyric will never not be weird.

11 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Lift Me Up is downright strange.

So is that other falsetto song on D and D. Can't remember the title because I don't listen to the album because it's rubbish.

"Lift Me Up" is off The Essential bonus disc; you're thinking of "Maria's Bed" and "All I'm Thinkin' About" for Devils, which... yeah, those are two of my all-time bottom three Springsteen songs.

10 hours ago, Wbt774 said:

Bishop Danced

Hunter of Invisible Game

Local Hero

"Bishop Danced" is an excellent choice here, and I agree on "Local Hero"; I said it in my thread where I'm ranking 20 songs, but I still can't get what he's going for there. I'd be interested in why you pick "Hunter of Invisible Game" here, though!

9 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

Mary QoA was the first one that came to mind for me too - what the fuck is that all about? Yep and Bishop Danced. Utter nonsense. 

I've heard it theorized that "Mary Queen of Arkansas" is from the perspective of a slave who's fallen in love with someone in the family that owns the plantation. It caught me off-guard at first, but after revisiting the lyrics, I did think it was a pretty convincing interpretation.

9 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Queen of the Supermarket is a pretty weird song. Wild Billy’s Circus Story. Many more. He has no shortage of weird songs.

Great call on Wild Billy, and I'm surprised it took so long for someone to name QotS, haha.

3 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Harry’s Place is kind of weird. I like it, though.

I'm with you here! It's a unique song, but man, I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times. I can put that one on loop for like an hour and dig it the entire time.

Oh, and regarding "I'm on Fire" -- yeah, I don't like that song at all. I don't know that it's "weird", per se, since unfortunately, the problematic elements therein are not exactly uncommon to other pop music or, realistically, even to Bruce's work. But I do find that song quite off-putting and am not a fan at all.

13 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Haha, that's fair. Lots of mentions to early Bruce here and it's hard to argue with that -- of course, at the same time, a lot of those songs are at home within the canon: like I feel like I'd say "Blinded by the Light" is a weird song... but, not a weird one within the context of the time. I'd say only "Bishop Danced" and "Wild Billy's Circus Story" QUITE rise to the level of feeling weird even amidst the others. There's some great poetry in "Blinded by the Light" -- I used to have a hard time parsing almost anything the song was trying to say, but I've started to understand the real message and theme it's going for more and more over time.

But, yeah, I still have to imagine anyone who decided to just go chronologically after only hearing BitUSA had a weird time with that one. It's definitely an odd opener considering his general public image and speaks to his outstanding diversity as a songwriter.

The fact that it was part inspired by the sight of Mad Dog Vini Lopez beating up someone for using his parking space says all you need to know about the song.

As far as anyone going into it chronologically after hearing "Born in the U.S.A.", I do expect they'll have heard the Manfred Mann one previously. 

13 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Good call on "Reno", I should have expected someone to name that. I mean, it makes sense. It tells a good story. It fits on the album. But, no matter how you slice it, the fact that "Two-fifty up the ass" is an actual Springsteen lyric will never not be weird.

"On Devils & Dust, there’s a song about the man in the hotel room with the hooker. My artistic side said, “That is so brave.” Then, just thinking right from the heart, I was like, “What are you writing about that shit for? Are you fucking crazy?”" - Patti Scialfa

• Like 1
  • Haha 3