Greasy Lake Community

Elements shared between multiple songs

2 hours ago, Okely Dokely said:

“Crashing [down] like a drunk on a barroom floor”

My Beautiful Reward/All the Way Home

Well spotted

+ , speaking of D&D, on Black Cowboys and another Metamoros Banks share “the pale moon cuts the earth to bone” line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Is it a stretch to say that the catfish makes "With Every Wish" a musical cousin of "The Rising"?

Could be the same character flashing back to his days of skipping church and getting out on the lake in search of big Jim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Opposite for me.  Missing is ok, but You’re Missing is a whole other level of pain IMO.  

See I'm not a big fan of pain. Even though Missing has pretty of pain. But i get back to the over all music of the tune. Which I think Missing is superb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

See I'm not a big fan of pain. Even though Missing has pretty of pain. But i get back to the over all music of the tune. Which I think Missing is superb. 

I’m not either, so I completely understand what you’re saying.  The pain is so raw in You’re Missing that I do find it difficult to listen to.  

The sister of a close friend (both huge Bruce fans) lost her husband (not in 9/11), and when she heard You’re Missing she said “OMG... he’s describing the feeling perfectly.”  It was extremely cathartic for her.  

OTOH... A dancer friend of mine LOVES Missing and has always said she wants to choreograph a dance to go along with it.  

I don’t dislike Missing.  To each his own, but musically, I just prefer You’re Missing to Missing.   

This seems to be a deliberate wink rather than just recycled imagery:

This Hard Land - "We're ridin' in the whirlwind searchin' for lost treasure"

Western Stars - "Here's to the cowboys, and the riders in the whirlwind"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JKo said:

This seems to be a deliberate wink rather than just recycled imagery:

This Hard Land - "We're ridin' in the whirlwind searchin' for lost treasure"

Western Stars - "Here's to the cowboys, and the riders in the whirlwind"

Good one.

Actually, I've just reread both the quoted lines. Quite brilliant.

I posted in the random thoughts thread about a similar potential connection between Bobby Jean and Chasin Wild Horses

'Left my home, left my friends 

I never said goodbye'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I would say that Held Up Without A Gun and You Can Look.... are cut from the same cloth.

Also, the exuberance and triumph of 'mansions of glory' on BTR became the less heroic  'mansions of pain' on Factory.

I've often wondered why writers analysing Bruce's music don't call out this obvious reference back to BTR. Bruce himself called Darkness 'reactionary' to Born To Run in the Glory Days tv doco. Writers will discuss how the music is more streamlined, how the lyrics are grittier and more direct, but not mention this explicit lyrical inversion of BTR's world view.

On the outtakes side, there is of course the similar inversion of 'Thunder Road' within The Promise

• Like 2

Might as well repost these posts about word repetition in Bruce's songs:

On 6/24/2019 at 5:47 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

HIGHWAY (84):

1 – "Lost in the Flood" / 1 – "Wild Billy’s Circus Story" / 1 – "Rosalita" / 1 – "Night" / 2 – "Born to Run" / 1 – "Racing in the Street" / 1 – "The Ties That Bind" / 2 – "Sherry Darling" / 2 – "Independence Day" / 2 – "Cadillac Ranch" / 1 – "The Price You Pay" / 3 – "Wreck on the Highway" / 1 – "Mansion on the Hill" / 1 – "Highway Patrolman" / 1 – "My Father’s House" / 2 – "Reason to Believe" / 1 – "Darlington County" / 20 – "Working on the Highway" / 1 – "Downbound Train" / 1 – "Cautious Man" / 2 – "Valentine’s Day" / 4 – "The Ghost of Tom Joad" / 3 – "Highway 29" / 1 – "The Line" / 1 – "Seaside Bar Song" / 1 – "Take ‘Em As They Come" / 1 – "Rockaway the Days" / 2 – "Brothers Under the Bridges (’83)" / 1 – "Lucky Man" / 1 – "The Promise" / 1 – "World’s Apart" / 1 – "The Fuse" / 3 – "The Big Payback" / 1 – "Held Up Without a Gun" / 1 – "Maria’s Bed" / 1 – "All I’m Thinkin’ About" / 1 – "Last to Die" / 1 – "Tomorrow Never Knows" / 1 – "Save My Love" / 3 – "American Beauty" / 1 – "The Man Who Got Away" / 1 – "Hitch Hikin’" / 3 – "The Wayfarer" / 2 – "Sleepy Joe’s Café" / 1 – "Somewhere North of Nashville" / 1 – "Stones".

WILLOW (4):

1 – "Highway Patrolman" / 1 – "Reason to Believe" / 1 – "Two Faces" / 1 – "Brilliant Disguise".

LITTLE GIRL (63):

1 – "For You" / 2 – "The E Street Shuffle" / 1 – "Rosalita" / 1 – "New York City Serenade" / 1 – "Racing in the Street" / 1 – "The Promised Land" / 1 – "Jackson Cage" / 1 – "Two Hearts" / 1 – "Out in the Street" / 1 – "You Can Look" / 6 – "I Wanna Marry You" / 3 – "Point Blank" / 1 – "Cadillac Ranch" / 1 – "Stolen Car" / 1 – "Ramrod" / 1 – "The Price You Pay" / 3 – "Darlington County" / 1 – "Working on the Highway" / 1 – "I’m on Fire" / 1 – "Ain’t Got You" / 1 – "Cross My Heart" / 1 – "Seaside Bar Song" / 2 – "Thundercrack" / 1 – "A Good Man is Hard to Find (Pittsburgh)" / 1 – "Dollhouse" / 2 – "Where The Bands Are" / 2 – "Take ‘Em As They Come" / 2 – "Be True" / 3 – "Ricky Wants a Man of Her Own" / 1 – "Mary Lou" / 1 – "Stolen Car (Alt)" / 1 – "Johnny Bye-Bye" / 3 – "County Fair" / 1 – "All I’m Thinkin’ About" / 1 – "Racing in the Street (’78)" / 1 – "Spanish Eyes" / 6 – "Talk to Me" / 2 – "Cindy" / 1 – "Party Lights" / 1 – "Stray Bullet" / 1 – "Mr Outside".

On 6/24/2019 at 12:56 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Right, I'm gonna try this again.

Firstly, the word "river" appears in "Meeting Across the River" in title only. 

The word "river" appears 81 times in Springsteen lyrics. 

1 - "Hungry Heart" / 11 - "The River" / 1 - "The Price You Pay" / 1 - "State Trooper / 2 - "Reason to Believe" / 2 - "Spare Parts" / 3 - "Valentine's Day" / 1 - "Soul Driver" / 2 - "With Every Wish" / 3 - "Real World" / 1 - "If I Should Fall Behind" / 1 - "The Big Muddy" / 1 - "My Beautiful Reward" / 1 - "Bishop Danced" / 2 - “Restless Nights” / 1 - “Roulette” / 1 -  “Living on the Edge of the World” / 1 - “Stolen Car” (alt) / 1 - “Shut Out The Light” / 2 - “This Hard Land” / 1 - “Rockaway the Days” / 1 - “Janey Don’t You Lose Heart” / 1 - “Over the Rise” / 11 - “Trouble River” / 2 - “American Skin” / 1 - “Paradise” / 2 - “Code of Silence” / 1 - “Reno” / 5 - “Matamoros Banks” / 1 - “Pay Me My Money Down” / 1 - “American Land” / 1 - “Magic" / 2 - “Outlaw Pete” / 2 - “Good Eye” / 1 - “Tomorrow Never Knows” / 1 - “Save My Love” / 2 - “The Way” / 1 - “Rocky Ground” / 3 - “Stray Bullet” / 3 - “The Ballad of Jesse James”.

The word "Riverside" is used in "Wreck on the Highway", "Reason to Believe", "Spare Parts", "Cautious Man", "Real World", “Rockaway the Days” and “Maria’s Bed”.

Y'know, I thought about those two posts when I first saw this thread and thought about how nothing we really post matters and that it all ultimately gets lost in ether. So it's kinda nice that I can make the time spent on culminating all this info a little less worthless. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Might as well repost these posts about word repetition in Bruce's songs:

Y'know, I thought about those two posts when I first saw this thread and thought about how nothing we really post matters and that it all ultimately gets lost in ether. So it's kinda nice that I can make the time spent on culminating all this info a little less worthless. 

I somehow missed this first time round, so thanks for the repost. That's pretty cool

• Like 1

Music in "We Take Care of Our Own" and "Just Another Lonely Mile"

Blood brothers: "No Surrender" and "Blood Brothers" [*]

* Shared theme: Brothers Under the Bridges/No Surrender/Bobby Jean/This Hard Land/Blood Brothers/Brothers Under the Bridge/Western Stars