Greasy Lake Community

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped

4 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I think you have a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion, which you are not foisting on everyone else. Of course we all like different aspects of his work. Whisper it quietly, but I am not terribly keen on Greetings :ph34r:...

So it’s a whispered secret you might say... :D

There’s two on there to which I cannot listen; but LOOOOOOVE the rest love the album! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

To take that ride across the river to the Jersey side.

I’m thinking you’ve never been on the Hudson River :P

An additional WS comment... Listening to Miracle right now.  Love it.  I think it’s absolutely beautiful.  One of my Bruce Buds said that her first favorite was Moonlight Motel, then it was Stones, then WS, and now it’s Miracle she has on repeat.  It’s also the fav of mr rjm.   

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I think you have a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion, which you are not foisting on everyone else. Of course we all like different aspects of his work. Whisper it quietly, but I am not terribly keen on Greetings :ph34r:...

Not even lost in the flood? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stevie54uk said:

i really didnt mean it in a political context for goodness sake i give in

But you meant it as a bad influence, and I don't think Jon has been that. He has his faults, I'm sure, but he gave Bruce lots of the right impulses.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

But you meant it as a bad influence, and I don't think Jon has been that. He has his faults, I'm sure, but he gave Bruce lots of the right impulses.

I get the impression Steve's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Why did Bruce have a canoe in the first place? :unsure:

My guess. To get into shape before the tour he had to cut down on Budweiser. Instead he decided to make it into a habit to take his future girlfriends for a ride in his canoe.

5 hours ago, TheBoss said:

To get into shape before the tour he had to cut down on Budweiser. Instead he decided to make it into a habit to take his future girlfriends for a ride in his canoe.

When you say 'take them for a ride'......

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Silvia said:

A variety of perspectives, diversity of opinions, is always beneficial for a healthy debate. Even on a fan site like ours, with all of us being nuts to a certain degree, one should accept pluralism, and all the negative opinions people here like to share. It helps when opinions are backed with valid arguments, not just presented as facts.
I enjoy negative or sarcastic comments. They make me think, or rethink, open my mind to see or hear something differently. The unenthusiastic opinions are usually in minority, and this is where the problem probably is. Lots of times people delete posts because they fear that they will insult someone by saying something not so nice about Bruce. To respect a contrary opinion namely means not to try and silence the poster with your positive opinion. Negative opinions need space to breathe, and to develop.
My personal experience with the Thought Police occurred when I had asked an unflattering question about Bruce visiting the gym (not knowing anything about it at the time), and received some lame and insufficient answers, together with a well-intentioned PM explaining the story, as well as saying that it is apparently not 'appropriate' to discuss such matters on the main forum because some might find this offensive. I was shocked.

Oh, and tell me the canoe story, please!  

I’ve always assumed that his muscle bound 80s body was assisted by steroids. Is that not generally believed to be true?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I am not as keen on Magic as many Bruce fans are...some great songs no doubt about it, but some in my view very average.

It's also in my opinion over loud, too compressed and too political for my liking. He has made some questionable moves and choices in his career in my opinion, but not many. In a near 50 year music career you are bound to get some things wrong, but the vast majority of that career has been uplifting and magical both for him and his fans. It's coming t an end, let's enjoy what's left.

Now, I find that interesting. I love Magic (third favorite album to me, one notch above Darkness). However, I don’t find any of the songs to be great as opposed to Darkness which does have some great songs, but as an overall album I do find it great and to have a much better flow than Darkness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jertucky said:

So it was really just time in the gym? It was a massive body transformation.

Yeah. More than one biographer has written about it. I won't spoil your fun in researching. But here's a spoiler, Bruce got beaten up in his scrawny days during the BITUSA sessions.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

My guess. To get into shape before the tour he had to cut down on Budweiser. Instead he decided to make it into a habit to take his future girlfriends for a ride in his canoe.

Taking little girls on a canoe ride? :P

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Yeah. More than one biographer has written about it. I won't spoil your fun in researching. But here's a spoiler, Bruce got beaten up in his scrawny days during the BITUSA sessions.

I’ll have to read up on that. That said, I find it hard to believe it was done naturally but it is possible.

54 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

If I recall, Bruce did have a one on one trainer, Phil Dunphy.

There's one Phil Dunphy still alive. From his website: "Phil designed Dunphy’s Physical Therapy’s very own Right Weigh Exercise Guidance system, a unique computer-oriented feedback system that provides visual feedback during resistance exercise. It scores the patient on “how well” they perform the exercise and gives them visual guidelines on how to improve the movement during the exercise.  The first prototype was developed in 1980."

https://www.dunphysphysicaltherapy.com/about.html

I recall Bruce having another personal trainer later in his career. If I'm correct that guy died from a heart attack some 10-15 years ago. I don't remember his name but remember that he looked kind of muscular and was much younger than Bruce himself. Got me suspicious - "what kind of supplements was he recommending Bruce as his client?" Disclaimer: Yes. I know. Of course you can live a perfectly healthy life, exercise a lot, look great in a swimsuit and by no fault of your own - except bad genes - die of a heart attack at the age of 40.

That said. I don't think Bruce took any steroids in the 80's. By today's standards his gains were not spectacular in any way. He was building some mass but it wasn't all muscles - he was putting on some fat as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

I’ll have to read up on that. That said, I find it hard to believe it was done naturally but it is possible.

As a long time weight lifter and natural body builder it is completely and easily possible, just takes work.  Bruce  never had the steroid look at all, looked natural with good weight training and dedication. A lot depends on your athletic ability and natural build too with a healthy and focused diet. 

additionally, some steroids can have negative impacts on your voice and I can’t see Bruce taking that risk. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Bruce got beaten up in his scrawny days during the BITUSA sessions.

Could that really be the reason for him to start lifting weights? He's way to short and small to rely on pure strenght and body weight in a fight any way. If he wanted to be able to defend himself against jealous boyfriends I'm sure he would have studied some self-defence system instead. Not counting judo, here. Besides that, to me Bruce doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would put this kind of effort into preparing himself for future street fights. And as soon as the album was released he had the money to hire body guards instead.