Greasy Lake Community

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped

16 hours ago, badlands78 said:

And on a related note, am I the only one who remembers all the cringing that went on around here when the single “There Goes My Miracle” was first released?  And then how all that negativity suddenly was forgotten when the full album was released?

Why would anyone keep their focus on one song when they loved the majority of the album?  And there's only, what, 12 other songs to dissect and love or hate?  Seems like a no-brainer, but keep looking to paint with that brush.  

I wasn’t a fan of there goes my miracle when I heard the song before the album was released, but as is part of the genius of Bruce, songs in the context of the album have a whole different impact. It fits absolutely perfectly on the album played in sequence, which is the way Western Stars should always be listened to. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I did not like Hello Sunshine very much when released as a 'single'  but I appreciate it now more in the context of the album (still not really my favourite song on WS).

Our man is a master in sequencing albums (and setlists).

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, 65pacecar said:

As a long time weight lifter and natural body builder it is completely and easily possible, just takes work.  Bruce  never had the steroid look at all, looked natural with good weight training and dedication. A lot depends on your athletic ability and natural build too with a healthy and focused diet. 

additionally, some steroids can have negative impacts on your voice and I can’t see Bruce taking that risk. 

Fair enough. I am not a weight lifter myself but saw several friends back in my younger days have  transformations similar to Bruce and none of them did it naturally. I’ll take you at your word though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, berlintramp said:

I think labeling Jon Landau the Dominic Cummins of the Springsteen world is unkind and untrue. Jon has steered Bruce toward loads of the right things to contemplate, in movies, in literature, in music.

It's also so silly to presume anyone is smarter than he, or that they would manage Bruce better.  I mean who the hell knows what it takes to be a manager in this industry anyway?  I don't know what the perceived problem with him is.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silvia said:

My personal experience with the Thought Police occurred when I had asked an unflattering question about Bruce visiting the gym (not knowing anything about it at the time), and received some lame and insufficient answers, together with a well-intentioned PM explaining the story, as well as saying that it is apparently not 'appropriate' to discuss such matters on the main forum because some might find this offensive. I was shocked.

I'm shocked now.  Don't comprehend, at all. 

10 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

It's also so silly to presume anyone is smarter than he, or that they would manage Bruce better.  I mean who the hell knows what it takes to be a manager in this industry anyway?  I don't know what the perceived problem with him is.  

It's obvious that Jon does what Bruce pays him to do. Part of that is taking blame for unpopular decisions, being someone Bruce can hide behind in order to always look like the good guy. Someone standing between Bruce and people wanting things from him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Agree 100%.  Never understood the perceived problem either.  

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Indeed.

Again, some GLers are so quick to defend Bruce Inc., decent discussions get buried.

My God!  Can anyone not say anything without disagreement and not be accused of so quickly defending?

They don't freakin' agree, you folks who equate that as idolization have the problem. 

5 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

My God!  Can anyone not say anything without disagreement and not be accused of so quickly defending?

They don't freakin' agree, you folks who equate that as idolization have the problem. 

:D

The big picture.

<_<

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I like "Miracle" from the film soundtrack album, but I still laugh every time I hear "moonlight moonbright".

Utterly shite lyricism :lol:

Especially after the movie the song has grown on me tremendously, really a great chorus in there, but what you quote, ARGH!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, Jimmy James said:

Maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way. Please describe what was  transformational  about it? And maybe I can see it in a different light. 

I also found myself looking at my watch during the netflix show .... first because im just not an acoustic guy ...2nd because i loved the book and knew a fair amount of the punch lines going in ....

That being said ....its the difference between listening to darkness at home or seeing the darkness tour live.... Theres a reason we have all seen him so many times .... theres just no substitute for the live experience.

• Like 7

I’ve seen many divisive releases from Bruce. I can’t say I thought Western Stars was one of them. Genuinely feels like there are only a couple of posters who hate it and one or two who think it’s ok but that it’s massively overblown by its advocates. 

For me it’s a classic and as good as anything he’s ever put out.

I do get SOB being an opinion divider for loads of reasons. It’s possibly as controversial move he’s ever made when you consider ticket price, static sets, spoken word etc.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I also found myself looking at my watch during the netflix show .... first because im just not an acoustic guy ...2nd because i loved the book and knew a fair amount of the punch lines going in ....

That being said ....its the difference between listening to darkness at home or seeing the darkness tour live.... Theres a reason we have all seen him so many times .... theres just no substitute for the live experience.

I kind of wish SOB came before the book

I know that couldn't possibly have happened 

Still the chicken and the egg ?

Maybe i wish i had read the book after SOB ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

I did not like Hello Sunshine very much when released as a 'single'  but I appreciate it now more in the context of the album (still not really my favourite song on WS).

Must admit I loved that one straight away. 

I winced at Miracle lyrically but loved the sound. I love the whole song now as part of the album.

I’m least partial to Tucson Train and that had people going wild at first.

Seems like Neil Young is touring this year, with Crazy Horse - including Nils. Just days ago Neil stated that fans should not be expecting future concerts...

So - what's changed? Probably Bruce Inc. assured him that there will no E Street Band tour in 2020...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-2020-tour-crazy-horse-956928/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, the imposter said:

Seems like Neil Young is touring this year, with Crazy Horse - including Nils. Just days ago Neil stated that fans should not be expecting future concerts...

So - what's changed? Probably Bruce Inc. assured him that there will no E Street Band tour in 2020...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-2020-tour-crazy-horse-956928/

Total sidenote here, but last night watched David Crosby's "Remember My Name" and what a fascinating movie, Cameron Crowe knows how to do a music film.  Anyway, had no idea why or that Neil has been mad at David for years, something about an offensive comment about one of Young's girlfriend's way back in the day.  As he said, "I'm not mad at Neil, Neil's mad at me."  

6 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Total sidenote here, but last night watched David Crosby's "Remember My Name" and what a fascinating movie, Cameron Crowe knows how to do a music film.  Anyway, had no idea why or that Neil has been mad at David for years, something about an offensive comment about one of Young's girlfriend's way back in the day.  As he said, "I'm not mad at Neil, Neil's mad at me."  

It certainly couldn't have helped that Crosby said Neil left his wife for a "purely poisonous predator" (i.e. Daryl Hannah)...

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Sorry man that's just a bizarre post it both stands alone as a great ballad, but also melts into that album beautifully