Greasy Lake Community

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped

1 hour ago, 65pacecar said:

My parents were at the infamous Cincinnati Who Concert.  The pushing and surge was so bad my dad had to carry my mom in under one arm and grabbed some girl that was separated from her boyfriend and carried her to keep my mom and her from being pushed down. 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, sonicramone said:

I was not.   Obviously, it was a big deal around here, but the 1982 show in Louisville was my first chance at seeing The Who.

BTW, did you know that Roger has been back to the area on his own accord recently to visit a memorial that was set up in a town outside of Cincinnati for a couple of the kids that perished in the stampede.   Very big of him to pay his respects that way.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/03/03/why-whos-roger-daltrey-finneytown-pay-his-respects/3003053002/

Nearly 40 years ago, three Finneytown High School students died at The Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum in Downtown Cincinnati.

Over the summer, The Who's lead singer Roger Daltrey returned to Cincinnati to meet with organizers and supporters of the P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund, a fund set up in remembrance of those students.

26723396-73cb-490f-b52a-638400e65cde-the

RESLV, a video agency based in Greater Cincinnati, captured the visit and produced a mini-documentary 

The P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund was founded in August of 2010 in remembrance of Stephan Preston, Jackie Eckerle, and Karen Morrison. 

Those three Finneytown students were among the 11 people killed prior to The Who concert on Dec. 3, 1979. A crowd of 2,000 people rushed to get inside the Riverfront Coliseum to try to see The Who practice before their performance. The 11 victims were from Ohio and Kentucky and ranged in age from 15 to 27.

Hey 65 Pacecar, Sonic posted this in the EJJ Forum. The Thread is "Who Poster", it way back little 3-4 pages, but it lead to talk about this topic. 

I have no idea how to drag the whole thread over like others do. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey 65 Pacecar, Sonic posted this in the EJJ Forum. The Thread is "Who Poster", it way back little 3-4 pages, but it lead to talk about this topic. 

I have no idea how to drag the whole thread over like others do. 

Cool story. Thanks, I will look that one up. I first saw them a few years later with my parents at Rupp arena in Lexington in 1982.  
The Who is returning to the Cincinnati area for this first time since that show to play in April.  All proceeds are going to a charity set up by WEBN.  Looking forward to that one. 

I love Brucie and hope beyond hope that he and the ESB tours this year in some fashion. But if they don't I have lots of lovely memories that will never leave me.

However.....after Graham Norton I now love another. I have heard the future of pop and it's name is James Blunt. He makes me feel like I am hearing music for the fifth time.  He softens any blow this daft thread brings. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, berlintramp said:

Oh, for God's sake, stop talking about 70 as if you're at death's door. I can assure you that you don't suddenly collapse and become a wreck.

Bruce looks fit and is full of plans. He said so.

All this conjecturing doesn't do a blind bit of good.

PATIENCE!

:)

Its just a stupid number on a birthday card

It doesn't translate to how one feels inside

40 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

:)

Its just a stupid number on a birthday card

It doesn't translate to how one feels inside

True.  Big Daddy Don Garlits is 88 years old and still driving sling shot dragsters and just built an Electric Dragster capable of 200+ in the quarter mile.

• Love Love Love! 1

14 hours ago, berlintramp said:

Oh, for God's sake, stop talking about 70 as if you're at death's door. I can assure you that you don't suddenly collapse and become a wreck.

I can completely see the validity in talking about Bruce being 70 and how that age can and will have an effect on anyone's body, it's a medical fact really that after the young ripe age of 25 the body can start to demise, even if one claims they're in the best shape of their lives at 45, but when a decision that has been reversed, or a seemingly "plan" to tour (decision is a poor word choice on my part as he never made a final decision on touring, just talked about the possibility) has been halted it's because of decrepit Bruce and there's no time left.  

That said, I agree with Vibes too, trying to do a stadium tour at 70, don't fucking care that The STones do it, might not bode very well.  Dunno, haven't seen him since The Tour in arenas when he had struggled before tour, but on stage he kept up pretty freakin' well.  But probably paid like hell after with ice and hot tubs and best massages money can buy.  Madonna actually made me larf when I saw a quote by her canceling one of her shows lately, she said she had to "ice her knees."  With being 60 and as active as she's been on stage with heels, I guess so.  

2 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Oh, and Madge is in great shape for her age - doesn't mean the body won't stop her from doing what it's going to do.  

May be in great shape, but, ahem...., at her age, she looks just ridiculously like a pantomime of her young self when she's on stage now. I actually squirm at the very sight of her acting out her youth in the type of garb usually associated with Rhianna or any of the other 20-30 yo female artists who feel they have to have as little on as possible to be relevant. Can't any of them make it without just relying on their talent?

40 minutes ago, BITUSA said:

May be in great shape, but, ahem...., at her age, she looks just ridiculously like a pantomime of her young self when she's on stage now. I actually squirm at the very sight of her acting out her youth in the type of garb usually associated with Rhianna or any of the other 20-30 yo female artists who feel they have to have as little on as possible to be relevant. Can't any of them make it without just relying on their talent?

How old was Tina Turner when she took the pop world by storm in relations to Madge now ?

Tina always managed to look hot but still classy 

Not sure about Cher - but i do admire them both 

Im afraid i don't feel the same about Madona but she certainly has talent 

Anyway I have also given in, and spent some concert money on non-Bruce shows...

Going to see this year:

Paul McCartney (YES!!!! FINALLY!!!! This is the one I look forward the most)

Taylor Swift (yeah.....)

Melissa Etheridge

And a bunch of classical concerts :) Beethoven, Chopin, Shostakovich, and the like! 

• Love Love Love! 1

I don't know what the fuss is about.  All I require is for Bruce and the band to sing and play their instruments.  They can do that as well on a stadium stage as on any other.  No need for any dancing and prancing about, jumping on and off pianos or any other acrobatics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Wout said:

Anyway I have also given in, and spent some concert money on non-Bruce shows...

Going to see this year:

Paul McCartney (YES!!!! FINALLY!!!! This is the one I look forward the most)

Taylor Swift (yeah.....)

Melissa Etheridge

And a bunch of classical concerts :) Beethoven, Chopin, Shostakovich, and the like! 

Hah I'm also gonna see Taylor Swift this summer. Kind of a guilty pleasure. 1989 is a fantastic album and the new one is growing on me.

Also bought a ticket for McCartney, first time for me too. Don't know why I haven't seen him before. Always bad timing I guess.

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I don't know what the fuss is about.  All I require is for Bruce and the band to sing and play their instruments.  They can do that as well on a stadium stage as on any other.  No need for any dancing and prancing about, jumping on and off pianos or any other acrobatics.

Agreed but it’s fair to say that seeing Bruce is partly synonymous with the physical stuff. Part of the legend and part of the show.

57 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Agreed but it’s fair to say that seeing Bruce is partly synonymous with the physical stuff. Part of the legend and part of the show.

True, but I'd rather he - and we - accepted that the Energizer-bunny days are long gone and be content with that, than having Bruce and band members trying to put on a show not fit for their age. That IS what they have been doing anyway, slowly scaling down the physical stuff. Just watching Tempe now leaves ME in a light sweat (sort of)...I'll admit that Bruce was in better shape in his Sixties than I was in my Twenties, but still...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

True, but I'd rather he - and we - accepted that the Energizer-bunny days are long gone and be content with that, than having Bruce and band members trying to put on a show not fit for their age. That IS what they have been doing anyway, slowly scaling down the physical stuff. Just watching Tempe now leaves ME in a light sweat (sort of)...I'll admit that Bruce was in better shape in his Sixties than I was in my Twenties, but still...

Definitely. I just think that part of pulling off a stadium shows demands some sort of big scale.

Basically my thing is I’d love him to leave the stadium shows alone and go indoors.

Scale everything down.

Just my preference. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Definitely. I just think that part of pulling off a stadium shows demands some sort of big scale.

Basically my thing is I’d love him to leave the stadium shows alone and go indoors.

Scale everything down.

Just my preference. 

I agree, I’m not a fan of stadium shows from anyone. Terrible sound and views anyway.  Bruce usually does arenas for the most part in the US, lets keep it that way.  

47 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Scale everything down.

Just my preference. 

Absolutely, but big scale doesn't have to be something very physical, Drive All Night or Frankie at Nya Ullevi worked immensely well.

That said, Bruce can't be doing 3-hour-shows with only slow songs - that'd be boring. 

I've had too many great stadium experiences to disregard stadiums altogether, but at the end of the day, if I had to choose between stadium and arena/theatre, I'd choose indoors.

Well, if you ask me, I don't think the tour has been scrapped at all. More likely it has never been in the cards, properly speaking.

If I remember correctly, Bruce had mentioned the possibility of tourning in 2020 while talking to an Italian newspaper about his “not touring” behind WS in 2019. He also alluded to having “freshly written material” that he planned to record in the (then) near future. That's all we know. Those were propably his true intentions at the time (or a classic “see you soon” way of avoiding the touring topic) but we have got nothing since.  

Adele's health is often metionend as a/the reason for Bruce's changing plans, but here APP (and fans) are probably taking what was probably a simple side note (or wishful thinking) from Bruce way too seriously.

• Like 1