Sign in to follow this  
TruthThatRanUsDown

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Taste is one thing, transformational is another thing. If you can tell me what that is, maybe I could understand better. 

10 years ago, no one could sell me on The Christic Shows, someone had said give it more than a couple listens and you'll change your mind, and I did. Great show and music I listen to a lot. BTW: The My Fathers House on these shows blow away what I've heard of this tune on SOB. 

Along those same notes SOB has no tune version better than any version already out there, except for The Wish and maybe Long Time Comin. Although I believe Live in Dublin has that beat. And maybe that is where my disappoint was. 

 

Whispering ....

The Christic shows i just don't get it yet i love acoustic Bruce

He has such a diverse body of work

I'll get there one day

Everybody's ears and individual fandoms are wired differently as just like they say on the cheese add on telly (sometimes) good things take time 

I mean i sometimes get this feeling that not everyone loves WOAD quite like i do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yeah... that’s why it was completely sold out (as soon as each block of dates went on sale) for the entire year and change, 5 nights a week run; and why lots of people (myself included) went multiple times.  

I just wish it had been more accessible 

I mean we couldn't even have SLV

I never saw the 2016 river tour but i still had sooooooooooo much fun and enjoyment from it 

The duration of SOB felt from here, like it was happening in a black hole which ocasionally opened up a tiny bit when a fellow greasylaker got to go or a celebrity gushed about it

I guess its time i watched SOB on Netflex again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Definitely. I just think that part of pulling off a stadium shows demands some sort of big scale.

Basically my thing is I’d love him to leave the stadium shows alone and go indoors.

Scale everything down.

Just my preference. 

I'd love them to do a series of five-night stands in arenas in major markets. A different city every fortnight. Reduces carbon footprint and probably means one city per country in Europe & you'd need an arena block booked for 12 days

London, Paris, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Milan, Dublin

Boston, NYC, Philly, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, LA

Sydney, Tokyo

Throw in an occasional solo gig in each city at a smaller venue.

Scope for multiple guests.

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I think most of us here already have evolved musical palates.  Seeing other bands doesn't mean some won't be disappointed about not seeing Bruce.  

I'm kinda getting a "shut-the-fuck-up...ya bother me boy" kinda vibe. 

Fair enough...Peace out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

 

Maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way. Please describe what was  transformational  about it? And maybe I can see it in a different light. 

Don’t know if I can adequately put it into words.

For one thing, as Sally said...keep in mind this is not a concert.  

So if you go in wanting that type of Bruce experience or thinking that’s what it is, you’re going to be very disappointed.  

All I can say is sitting in that small theatre listening to Bruce himself share his life’s experiences was indeed transformative.  

First and foremost, in my opinion, he is a master storyteller.  

Be it in song form or in the narrative of his B’way show.  So that of course was a huge part of it.  

I just loved hearing how Bruce became Bruce. 

How all of his experiences gave way to how he became Bruce the man, Bruce the musician, BRUUUUUCE the performer, Bruce the son, father, brother, husband, band leader, friend  etc...

Also, it was very moving hearing him express his gratitude to us fans, and what he hopes he’s done for us.  

All of his narratives interspersed with so many beloved songs, in such an intimate setting, was, in a word... magical.  

Another piece... and I can only speak for myself, but while he was taking us on his journey, I was reliving all the decades of my journey as a fan: 

-Everything he and his music has meant to me for pretty much my entire life; the endless memories attached to him and his music. 

-The many, many deep friendships either originally made or made deeper/stronger because of him; and sharing the live B’way experience with 3 such individuals was part of the magic.  

As I’ve said before; there are TONS of other bands/singers that I absolutely adore.  That music also means a lot to me.  

I’m extremely blessed to have seen just about everyone I’ve wanted to see live, and have throughly enjoyed every one of those many, many non-Bruce shows.  

But for me, Bruce and his music is in an entirely separate category.  I’m not exactly sure why, but that’s just the way it is and always has been.  Since 1974.  

Also, B’way has always been, since I was a very young child, a special place to me.  (I LOVED the last two shows I saw; Ain’t Too Proud (love Motown!!!!!) and Come From Away.)

Anyway, as much as I love other bands/musicians, I can’t think of anyone else I’d be interested in seeing a one man show like Bruce’s.  

So I understand why others might not be interested in SoB.  

You simply may not wish to sit through listening to hours of him telling stories.  

I found him able to bring us to tears in one breath and be hysterically funny in the next. 

Other criticisms I’ve heard are ‘his stories are in the book,’ or ‘we’ve heard most of them already in various concerts’, etc... 

Very true.  But this was different.  Again, it was not a concert. 

I’m also aware that lots of people don’t care for acoustic Bruce or acoustic versions of his full band stuff.   

As has been said before, a lot of why those of us who loved it as we did is something you feel.  

So while I tried to explain (in this rather looooong post!!) as I said, I think the crux of it can’t be put into words.  

  • Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustDan said:

I'm kinda getting a "shut-the-fuck-up...ya bother me boy" kinda vibe. 

Fair enough...Peace out.

I can't help how you interpret shit.  My post was meant to be factual, tons of us here go to plenty of shows, whether they be in dive bars or arenas.  Doesn't preclude anyone from being disappointed about not seeing Bruce, especially coz, as evidenced on this forum, he's 70 and time is quickly running out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

 

 

Other criticisms I’ve heard are ‘his stories are in the book,’ or ‘we’ve heard most of them already in various concerts’, etc... 

 

I could add on line to line of your post but this is such as important point to raise, I think.  Meaning there wasn't one split second I connected any stories to the book, the book didn't even enter my skull.  I've heard him speak about his father his whole career but once he was up there before My Father's House and then on LTC, so bloody what.  We're in completely different mediums and being there first-had to experience his emotion, not remotely comparable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Don’t know if I can adequately put it into words.

For one thing, as Sally said...keep in mind this is not a concert.  

So if you go in wanting that type of Bruce experience or thinking that’s what it is, you’re going to be very disappointed.  

All I can say is sitting in that small theatre listening to Bruce himself share his life’s experiences was indeed transformative.  

First and foremost, in my opinion, he is a master storyteller.  

Be it in song form or in the narrative of his B’way show.  So that of course was a huge part of it.  

I just loved hearing how Bruce became Bruce. 

How all of his experiences gave way to how he became Bruce the man, Bruce the musician, BRUUUUUCE the performer, Bruce the son, father, brother, husband, band leader, friend  etc...

Also, it was very moving hearing him express his gratitude to us fans, and what he hopes he’s done for us.  

All of his narratives interspersed with so many beloved songs, in such an intimate setting, was, in a word... magical.  

Another piece... and I can only speak for myself, but while he was taking us on his journey, I was reliving all the decades of my journey as a fan: 

-Everything he and his music has meant to me for pretty much my entire life; the endless memories attached to him and his music. 

-The many, many deep friendships either originally made or made deeper/stronger because of him; and sharing the live B’way experience with 3 such individuals was part of the magic.  

As I’ve said before; there are TONS of other bands/singers that I absolutely adore.  That music also means a lot to me.  

I’m extremely blessed to have seen just about everyone I’ve wanted to see live, and have throughly enjoyed every one of those many, many non-Bruce shows.  

But for me, Bruce and his music is in an entirely separate category.  I’m not exactly sure why, but that’s just the way it is and always has been.  Since 1974.  

Also, B’way has always been, since I was a very young child, a special place to me.  (I LOVED the last two shows I saw; Ain’t Too Proud (love Motown!!!!!) and Come From Away.)

Anyway, as much as I love other bands/musicians, I can’t think of anyone else I’d be interested in seeing a one man show like Bruce’s.  

So I understand why others might not be interested in SoB.  

You simply may not wish to sit through listening to hours of him telling stories.  

I found him able to bring us to tears in one breath and be hysterically funny in the next. 

Other criticisms I’ve heard are ‘his stories are in the book,’ or ‘we’ve heard most of them already in various concerts’, etc... 

Very true.  But this was different.  Again, it was not a concert. 

I’m also aware that lots of people don’t care for acoustic Bruce or acoustic versions of his full band stuff.   

As has been said before, a lot of why those of us who loved it as we did is something you feel.  

So while I tried to explain (in this rather looooong post!!) as I said, I think the crux of it can’t be put into words.  

Bravo. SOB was brilliant. There's really no other way to put it. Bruce was honest, self-deprecating, and genuinely looked like he was enjoying relaying to us how it was that Bruce Springsteen came to be. 

I was at Storytellers in Red Bank '05. You could see the beginnings of what would eventually become SOB. But as great as it was to be there, Bruce was in his own head too much at that show. Obsessed with trying to explain his metaphors literally, and it often came across as too esoteric. Some of that carried over to the D&D tour, some of it he improved upon as the D&D tour went on. But years later, SOB became the refined vision, the final product. With it, Bruce wasn't attempting to explain everything about each song. Instead, he mostly let them stand on their own merits, allowed the explanations breathe, and filled the rest of the show with touching anecdotes, jokes, and refreshing observations about what it's like to be him. 

Sadly, I didn't get to see SOB live. I had left New Jersey by then, and the $$$ involved in doing so would have been outlandish. But not a day goes by, especially after watching the Netflix special, that I don't regret that decision. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jukeblue said:

I'd love them to do a series of five-night stands in arenas in major markets. A different city every fortnight. Reduces carbon footprint and probably means one city per country in Europe & you'd need an arena block booked for 12 days

London, Paris, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Milan, Dublin

Boston, NYC, Philly, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, LA

Sydney, Tokyo

Throw in an occasional solo gig in each city at a smaller venue.

Scope for multiple guests.

This would be good but not for the rest of the southern hemisphere 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jukeblue said:

I'd love them to do a series of five-night stands in arenas in major markets.

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, berlintramp said:

Oh, for God's sake, stop talking about 70 as if you're at death's door. I can assure you that you don't suddenly collapse and become a wreck.

Bruce looks fit and is full of plans. He said so.

All this conjecturing doesn't do a blind bit of good.

PATIENCE!

He is getting older and older. That is a fact. Bruce looks ok for being a retired 70 old with 10-15 more years ahead of him. Is he fit enough to step up to the plate in a European Stadium for a full 15 rounds with The E Street Band? No, that train has left the station.  Maybe 8-10 rounds. This year. Not next year or the year after that. Time is running out. Still, there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough it's not Bruce's energy for an E Street show that I am most worried about, it is Max. 

I know he had surgery on his hands a few years ago, but the effort required to pound those drums for over 3 hours, must be getting beyond him now.... 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

Funnily enough it's not Bruce's energy for an E Street show that I am most worried about, it is Max. 

I know he had surgery on his hands a few years ago, but the effort required to pound those drums for over 3 hours, must be getting beyond him now.... 

Might be wrong but i'm sure I read somewhere it was heart surgery he had...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 12:00 AM, MacBruce said:

I still think there will be an album and likely tour of sorts this year. 

What was Anielo's  photos all about ? There must be some recording going on in my opinion. 

Until Bruce officially says there is nothing happening in 2020 (which they have always done before) then I am still optimistic we will see something this year on the album and tour front.

 

Indeed an album and tour (à la Magic first leg, for instance) is more than possible.

What is now highly unlikely is the massive summer-euro-stadium-tour that was often speculated about on the basis of Bruce’s last year Italian interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Don’t know if I can adequately put it into words.

For one thing, as Sally said...keep in mind this is not a concert.  

So if you go in wanting that type of Bruce experience or thinking that’s what it is, you’re going to be very disappointed.  

All I can say is sitting in that small theatre listening to Bruce himself share his life’s experiences was indeed transformative.  

First and foremost, in my opinion, he is a master storyteller.  

Be it in song form or in the narrative of his B’way show.  So that of course was a huge part of it.  

I just loved hearing how Bruce became Bruce. 

How all of his experiences gave way to how he became Bruce the man, Bruce the musician, BRUUUUUCE the performer, Bruce the son, father, brother, husband, band leader, friend  etc...

Also, it was very moving hearing him express his gratitude to us fans, and what he hopes he’s done for us.  

All of his narratives interspersed with so many beloved songs, in such an intimate setting, was, in a word... magical.  

Another piece... and I can only speak for myself, but while he was taking us on his journey, I was reliving all the decades of my journey as a fan: 

-Everything he and his music has meant to me for pretty much my entire life; the endless memories attached to him and his music. 

-The many, many deep friendships either originally made or made deeper/stronger because of him; and sharing the live B’way experience with 3 such individuals was part of the magic.  

As I’ve said before; there are TONS of other bands/singers that I absolutely adore.  That music also means a lot to me.  

I’m extremely blessed to have seen just about everyone I’ve wanted to see live, and have throughly enjoyed every one of those many, many non-Bruce shows.  

But for me, Bruce and his music is in an entirely separate category.  I’m not exactly sure why, but that’s just the way it is and always has been.  Since 1974.  

Also, B’way has always been, since I was a very young child, a special place to me.  (I LOVED the last two shows I saw; Ain’t Too Proud (love Motown!!!!!) and Come From Away.)

Anyway, as much as I love other bands/musicians, I can’t think of anyone else I’d be interested in seeing a one man show like Bruce’s.  

So I understand why others might not be interested in SoB.  

You simply may not wish to sit through listening to hours of him telling stories.  

I found him able to bring us to tears in one breath and be hysterically funny in the next. 

Other criticisms I’ve heard are ‘his stories are in the book,’ or ‘we’ve heard most of them already in various concerts’, etc... 

Very true.  But this was different.  Again, it was not a concert. 

I’m also aware that lots of people don’t care for acoustic Bruce or acoustic versions of his full band stuff.   

As has been said before, a lot of why those of us who loved it as we did is something you feel.  

So while I tried to explain (in this rather looooong post!!) as I said, I think the crux of it can’t be put into words.  

Wonderful post my friend!

What draws each of us to any artist and why do some move us more than others?  No one has the answer but for me since 1977-78, when coming into adulthood and going through the maze/haze of family, society and young romance, Bruce’s music fit like the glove I so needed!  

SOB was a rollercoaster ride of his life and mine to me.  Felt and feel blessed to have been and be a lover of his music for over 42 years. Connection, people. Connection. 

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

We're in completely different mediums and being there first-had to experience his emotion, not remotely comparable.  

Agree 100% 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

Connection, people. Connection. 

Absofreakinglutely!!!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Absofreakinglutely!!!  

Oh c'mon...You can do better 'n that...You're from Jersey ;)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Might be wrong but i'm sure I read somewhere it was heart surgery he had...

He did indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh now you've done it :lol:

Haha. I've already been scolded. Some folks can't ever hear a word said against our hero.

;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Haha. I've already been scolded. Some folks can't ever hear a word said against our hero.

;)

Sorry if you think that’s what any positive response for B’way was about.  

You and anyone else can think it’s boring all you want.  

It’s not about “not being able to hear a word said against Bruce.”  

It’s the simple truth that there are are many thousands who legitimately, and yes passionately, feel completely differently about the show.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this