Greasy Lake Community

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Sorry if you think that’s what any positive response for B’way was about.  

You and anyone else can think it’s boring all you want.  

It’s not about “not being able to hear a word said against Bruce.”  

It’s the simple truth that there are are many thousands who legitimately, and yes passionately, feel completely differently about the show.   

:)

Of course.

I wasn't only referring to SOB.  I was thinking of the general 'Bruce can do no wrong, ever' attitude. In the grand scheme of things in doesn't mean diddly squat, but it hinders meaningful discussion on times. A bit like 'my country right or wrong' type of thing.

• Like 1

Where do people say Bruce can do no wrong?  I've been on this board for yonks, have read that argument over and over, and still don't see it.  When there's a debate and people disagree with something that they see as a positive, it's a "Bruce can do no wrong."  So weird.

That only applies to gussie. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

All I can say is sitting in that small theatre listening to Bruce himself share his life’s experiences was indeed transformative.  

I just loved hearing how Bruce became Bruce. 

How all of his experiences gave way to how he became Bruce the man, Bruce the musician, BRUUUUUCE the performer, Bruce the son, father, brother, husband, band leader, friend  etc...

Also, it was very moving hearing him express his gratitude to us fans, and what he hopes he’s done for us.  

All of his narratives interspersed with so many beloved songs, in such an intimate setting, was, in a word... magical.  

You simply may not wish to sit through listening to hours of him telling stories. 

I never saw SOB on location, only through Netflix. I watched it once. Mildly interested with no desire to watch it again. My problem was that the stories and songs were way to familiar to me. There were no surprises or anytthing unexpected. Even the way he tells a story, the pauses where the audience is supposed to laugh and his own giggling, is rather predictable by now. It's not his fault, really. I guess I just know him to well by now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Of course.

I wasn't only referring to SOB.  I was thinking of the general 'Bruce can do no wrong, ever' attitude. In the grand scheme of things in doesn't mean diddly squat, but it hinders meaningful discussion on times. A bit like 'my country right or wrong' type of thing.

In your defense, Springsteen on Broadway was unwatchable. Literally so, in my case. I took about 5 stabs at watching it, picking it up at the point where I last fell asleep/turned it off. I don’t think I even got through half of it. It was boring as hell and just rehashed stuff that I already knew. 
At the end of the day, it’s all just opinion. Even if one has a “Bruce can do no wrong” mentality it is just an opinion. I think the only thing all reasonable Springsteen fans can agree to is that Western Stars is an embarrassing addition to his catalog. Right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Haha. I've already been scolded. Some folks can't ever hear a word said against our hero.

;)

I've noticed that a few always tend to get a bit defensive over the Broadway run mind, they're always full on FEWMIN' when someone has a laugh about it like you had earlier. 

Sometimes we all just need to chill out and remember that somebody expressing the opposite about something you enjoy doesn't always require a debate, even on a discussion forum.*

*Especially if it's been debated to fuckin' death by the same people in the past :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Of course.

Ok.  Fair enough.  

But I don’t ever see where anyone has said or implied that.  

For the record, I have always said Bruce is human and like all of us has made bad decisions, made mistakes, not handled situations the best he could’ve, has done stupid things, etc... 

But yes, a large part of why I do hold him in such high regard is that he himself acknowledges this, looks at these incidents head on, and then tries to learn and become a better person.  

Also for the record, there are songs he’s made that I dislike or don’t particularly care for.  

Granted, it’s probably 1% of his vast catalogue, but they do exist.  

Personally I’d much rather focus on what I love. 

And while I might mention that a particular song  ‘is not my cuppa,’ in the midst of a pertinent discussion; I just don’t feel the need to dwell (key word here is dwell) on what I don’t like at any and all opportunities.  

Like the constant, never ending put downs and “jokes” about the same stuff from the same people.  

Especially when a fellow fan (or more to the point... fans) expresses how much they love a particular song/album, how much it means to him/her, etc... 

Of course every one of us has the right to express their thoughts and feelings on here.  And they have the right to do so in whatever manner they wish. 

So please understand I’m NOT trying to tell people what they should and shouldn’t say. 

I just truly wonder as to why some posters feel the need to constantly make negative comments.  Some posters do so not only about this song or that song; but about everything the man does.  

Again, anyone has the right to feel anyway they wish, but I find the constant negativity very strange.  Especially since this is, you know... a Springsteen FAN site.  

I read some comments and often think ‘sheesh, with fans like these...’ 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've noticed that a few always tend to get a bit defensive over the Broadway run mind, they're always full on FEWMIN' when someone has a laugh about it like you had earlier. 

Sometimes we all just need to chill out and remember that somebody expressing the opposite about something you enjoy doesn't always require a debate, even on a discussion forum.*

*Especially if it's been debated to fuckin' death by the same people in the past :lol:

What you perceive as defensive, I perceive as disagreement, simple as.  There's no reason people can't explore their differences as well as their similarities, so I don't know what you mean by a debate not being required.  That's what discussions can turn into, which is partly why I come here, for healthy debates.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

What you perceive as defensive, I perceive as disagreement, simple as.  There's no reason people can't explore their differences as well as their similarities, so I don't know what you mean by a debate not being required.  That's what discussions can turn into, which is partly why I come here, for healthy debates.  

Fair enough, Kay. 

In fairness, there were a few of us that took a tidy slap or two regarding what we perceived as hype and pretentiousness over WS too. Oh, and HH. :D

It matters not, Bruce is big enough to take a broadside or two.

Have I ever mentioned the Lynn Goldsmith story :D;)

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

In fairness, there were a few of us that took a tidy slap or two regarding what we perceived as hype and pretentiousness over WS too. Oh, and HH. :D

I remember getting a 'telling off' on here because I said people were only praising Western Stars the way they were because five years without an album made them desperate and they had to LOVE it because of that.

Hmm, saying that I'm reminded that I actually got a similar reaction when I said something along those lines regarding people paying an excessive amount of money to see the Broadway show :lol: 

• Like 2

I think it was Jimbo who said something equally ridic as people were only praising WS coz it's Bruce and had been a while for a release.  

If myself or anyone commented on that it's likely coz that is preposterous to the nth degree.  It's implying someone's taste must be askew, how can anyone decide for someone else what they should and shouldn't love?  Coz they don't love it we must be riddled with blinders?  I mean there's a reason why fans and critics a like have heralded the album, it's a good record that blew most of the fan base away coz of the quality, not the amount of time between releases.  

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Is that the girl he slapped across the face?

33 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I mean there's a reason why fans and critics a like have heralded the album, it's a good record that blew most of the fan base away coz of the quality, not the amount of time between releases.  

Bingo. 

My Twitter and insta feeds are both filled to the brim with people constantly praising its greatness; and I’ve seen many, many other threads on twitter with hundreds of other fans declaring their love for WS.  

The non Laker Bruce fans that I know (and I know a lot of them) either like, really like, loves, or is STILL obsessed with it; listening to all or most of it at least once a day.  

Count me in that last group.  

You don’t like it?  Hate it even?  Think it’s an ‘embarrassing addition to his catalog?’ Fine, don’t listen.  

But no, most “reasonable” Springsteen fans absolutely do not agree with that assessment.  

While there are certainly a fair number of fans who could take or leave it, don’t like it at all, and some that are even repelled by it... it does seem by all accounts that the vast majority of fans are enamored with it.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Might be wrong but i'm sure I read somewhere it was heart surgery he had...

Both. He had surgery on his hands several times, and heart surgery as well. And yes, I think he works extremely hard during those concerts and it takes its toll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I think the only thing all reasonable Springsteen fans can agree to is that Western Stars is an embarrassing addition to his catalog. Right?

This has to one of the most ill informed comments I have read on this board. I think most of us here like WS a lot and certainly, as rjm has said, many other Springsteen fans who I know really like it too - even people who I thought would hate it.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I remember getting a 'telling off' on here because I said people were only praising Western Stars the way they were because five years without an album made them desperate and they had to LOVE it because of that.

Hmm, saying that I'm reminded that I actually got a similar reaction when I said something along those lines regarding people paying an excessive amount of money to see the Broadway show :lol: 

What i don't understand is western stars getting lapped up but WOAD being kicked to the curb ? :(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Have I ever mentioned the Lynn Goldsmith story

And, worse, the 'lost canoe' story.

Worse, because throwing the cake was maybe-probably a split-second-decision; a court case against loyal employees about, well, about a canoe, was not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

This has to one of the most ill informed comments I have read on this board. I think most of us here like WS a lot and certainly, as rjm has said, many other Springsteen fans who I know really like it too - even people who I thought would hate it.

Those would be the unreasonable people.

Look, I’m clearly just poking fun at the disparity of opinions on the album. I really do find it embarrassingly bad, but music tastes are different.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, Jimmy James said:

I have no idea how the The ESB works with Bruce Inc. But Steve being the leader of the ESB, may have went into a meeting and Bruce Inc said the band will make this much$$$, and Steven said no the band will make this much $$$$$$. And there is an dispute! 

I get the impression that each band member negotiates with Inc. individually, so it's not up to Steve to decide anything (except his own).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jertucky said:

In your defense, Springsteen on Broadway was unwatchable. Literally so, in my case. I took about 5 stabs at watching it, picking it up at the point where I last fell asleep/turned it off. I don’t think I even got through half of it. It was boring as hell and just rehashed stuff that I already knew. 
At the end of the day, it’s all just opinion. Even if one has a “Bruce can do no wrong” mentality it is just an opinion. I think the only thing all reasonable Springsteen fans can agree to is that Western Stars is an embarrassing addition to his catalog. Right?

Maybe not as far as “embarrassing” but overall I tend to agree.

And on a related note, am I the only one who remembers all the cringing that went on around here when the single “There Goes My Miracle” was first released?  And then how all that negativity suddenly was forgotten when the full album was released?

• Like 1