Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

APP reporting 2020 ESB tour possibly scrapped


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Maybe not as far as “embarrassing” but overall I tend to agree.

And on a related note, am I the only one who remembers all the cringing that went on around here when the single “There Goes My Miracle” was first released?  And then how all that negativity suddenly was forgotten when the full album was released?

I still feel that way, Miracle does nothing for me, but I do love that album's music and whatever brought him to write those songs.

But I am one of the people who prefers "Acoustic Bruce" over "R&R Bruce" for my own listening pleasure.  I have seen every tour since 1984 and enjoyed every minute of every show.  But there is a reason why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream, there are people who love one or the other and some that like both just the same - tastes vary, just like opinions.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Maybe not as far as “embarrassing” but overall I tend to agree.

And on a related note, am I the only one who remembers all the cringing that went on around here when the single “There Goes My Miracle” was first released?  And then how all that negativity suddenly was forgotten when the full album was released?

Hang on!

I resemble that comment.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I I think the only thing all reasonable Springsteen fans can agree to is that Western Stars is an embarrassing addition to his catalog. Right?

"We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are listening up at the Western Stars " - Oscar Wilde circa 1892

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, both SOB and Western Stars were late career magical moments. I doubt any other artist in the world could have pulled off something like Springsteen on Broadway for a full year and a half with all the emotional intensity that there was and that he showed in that Netflix performance every night for that length of time. Western Stars was just a masterpiece as far as I am concerned and if that was Bruce's last ever album then it would be the perfect way to finish what for me anyway is an incomparable musical career. I don''t think it is his last album though, and the Anielo photos makes me think there is recording going on and I think there will be another tour and hopefully some dates probably in the US this year....barring health reasons of course. The shows will certainly be shorter though....despite being in great condition for a 70 year old, he is looking and sounding his age now and I very much doubt he has a full world tour of 3 and a half hour shows left in him any more. What the hell though. He has given everything he has to his fans over the years and he owes us nothing.

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i must be honest as someone who still really dosent like western stars much, also thought SOB was good but not brilliant, i  tend to keep out of these discussions as the incredulity that you dont think these projects were out of this world  is pronounced, My Bruce loves will always be the first 5 albums  and the solo/seeger stuff, apart from that to me everything is just ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

i must be honest as someone who still really dosent like western stars much, also thought SOB was good but not brilliant, i  tend to keep out of these discussions as the incredulity that you dont think these projects were out of this world  is pronounced, My Bruce loves will always be the first 5 albums  and the solo/seeger stuff, apart from that to me everything is just ok. 

I think you have a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion, which you are not foisting on everyone else. Of course we all like different aspects of his work. Whisper it quietly, but I am not terribly keen on Greetings :ph34r:...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A variety of perspectives, diversity of opinions, is always beneficial for a healthy debate. Even on a fan site like ours, with all of us being nuts to a certain degree, one should accept pluralism, and all the negative opinions people here like to share. It helps when opinions are backed with valid arguments, not just presented as facts.
I enjoy negative or sarcastic comments. They make me think, or rethink, open my mind to see or hear something differently. The unenthusiastic opinions are usually in minority, and this is where the problem probably is. Lots of times people delete posts because they fear that they will insult someone by saying something not so nice about Bruce. To respect a contrary opinion namely means not to try and silence the poster with your positive opinion. Negative opinions need space to breathe, and to develop.
My personal experience with the Thought Police occurred when I had asked an unflattering question about Bruce visiting the gym (not knowing anything about it at the time), and received some lame and insufficient answers, together with a well-intentioned PM explaining the story, as well as saying that it is apparently not 'appropriate' to discuss such matters on the main forum because some might find this offensive. I was shocked.

Oh, and tell me the canoe story, please!  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I think you have a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion, which you are not foisting on everyone else. Of course we all like different aspects of his work. Whisper it quietly, but I am not terribly keen on Greetings :ph34r:...

I am not as keen on Magic as many Bruce fans are...some great songs no doubt about it, but some in my view very average.

It's also in my opinion over loud, too compressed and too political for my liking. He has made some questionable moves and choices in his career in my opinion, but not many. In a near 50 year music career you are bound to get some things wrong, but the vast majority of that career has been uplifting and magical both for him and his fans. It's coming t an end, let's enjoy what's left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

me thinks its Jon Landau who makes the questionable decisions and Bruce concurs. the Dominic Cummins of the Springsteen world

Definatly ! 

How ever i do remind myself that Jon has been a pretty good friend to Bruce

And its an industry where lack of true friends can have terrible consequence 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't like "there goes my miracle" when it was first released, but I made my peace with it in the context of the album. It is not a favorite song, however.

I think labeling Jon Landau the Dominic Cummins of the Springsteen world is unkind and untrue. Jon has steered Bruce toward loads of the right things to contemplate, in movies, in literature, in music.

Cummins has influenced countless people, the powerful regretfully among them, toward right-wing, destructive positions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I am not as keen on Magic as many Bruce fans are...some great songs no doubt about it, but some in my view very average.

It's also in my opinion over loud, too compressed and too political for my liking. He has made some questionable moves and choices in his career in my opinion, but not many. In a near 50 year music career you are bound to get some things wrong, but the vast majority of that career has been uplifting and magical both for him and his fans. It's coming to an end, let's enjoy what's left.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Silvia said:

 

Oh, and tell me the canoe story, please!  

BITUSA period.  Nils lost Bruce's canoe in a storm and got fined for it :lol:.  And other people got fined for bringing dinner late :D and messing with the air conditioning on stage :D.

Not to mention the roadies taking him to court and Jim Cobanis beating him up. :lol:

 

Strange times.

Edit. Nils had owt to do with the canoe. See Lampi's clarification, below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

My personal experience with the Thought Police occurred when I had asked an unflattering question about Bruce visiting the gym

It was said  (by a journalist who went to the gym together with Bruce in 1985) when Bruce was, err, sweating his ass of in the gym, the noises Bruce made where a combination of the howling of Darkness (the song)  and the howling at the end of Jungleland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

me thinks its Jon Landau who makes the questionable decisions and Bruce concurs. the Dominic Cummins of the Springsteen world

Maybe Bruce needs to take back control...........

 

He should write it on a bus.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

BITUSA period.  Nils lost Bruce's canoe in a storm and got fined for it :lol:.  And other people got fined for bringing dinner late :D and messing with the air conditioning on stage :D.

Not to mention the roadies taking him to court and Jim Cobanis beating him up. :lol:

And a DJ got a fine for playing Bruce's music without permission.

Were it not the roadies who lost the canoe, not Nils?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

BITUSA period.  Nils lost Bruce's canoe in a storm and got fined for it :lol:

I always thought it was some roadie(s) that lost the canoe and got fined. Nils? That is ridiculous! My apologies if your post was meant as a joke. for not reading Lampi's reply before posting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lampi said:

And a DJ got a fine for playing Bruce's music without permission.

Were it not the roadies who lost the canoe, not Nils?

You could be right. Nils had a bollocking for something. I'll get on Wikileaks and get the skinny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

A variety of perspectives, diversity of opinions, is always beneficial for a healthy debate.
The unenthusiastic opinions are usually in minority, and this is where the problem probably is. Lots of times people delete posts because they fear that they will insult someone by saying something not so nice about Bruce. To respect a contrary opinion namely means not to try and silence the poster with your positive opinion. Negative opinions need space to breathe, and to develop.

Well said!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nils had a bollocking for something. 

Nils and Roy for the show in Pittsburgh 1985 where they missed the call the show would begin, because they were playing table tennis?

And so the first song, Born In The U.S.A., was played without them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lampi said:

Nils and Roy for the show in Pittsburgh 1985 where they missed the call the show would begin, because they were playing table tennis?

And so the first song, Born In The U.S.A., was played without them.

That's the one. Tnx.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...