Sign in to follow this  
Daisey Jeep

I'm on fire - pervey or not?

I`m on fire - pervey or not ?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the Springtseen term `little girl` pervey ?

• Hell no ! it's just how (some) men used to refer to their woman - nothing ill intended or under age about it
    • Yip ! ewwwwwwwwwww gross me out - creepy and pervey for me
    • Not sure - i don`t listen to much BITUSA, don`t enjoy music videos or songs about cars or girls
    • hmmmmmm hadn`t noticed, I'm just here for the music and the beer and I live under a rock
  2. 2. What part of the world did you do (the majority of) your growing up in ?

• Bruce country - Interstate 1-195 territory (you lucky bastards!)
    • (the rest of) North America
    • The UK and Ireland
    • Western Europe
    • Eastern Europe
    • Australia, NZ, South Africa (and Zimbabwe/Rhodesia)
    • other - but a place Bruce has toured
    • other - a sad loney place JLM referuse to achknowledge
  3. 3. Is English your first language ?

4. 4. If English is not your first lanuage how did you learn it ?

• In the home from mum and dad or another close relative
    • in kindergarten or at school
    • At university
    • self taught via popular culture eg movies, tv, books
    • from traveling, from friends or workmates,
    • other eg a corrispondence
    • N/A because English is (or one of) my first language(s)
  5. 5. How old are you ?

• About the same age as Bruce - still sexy !!
    • A teenager durring the pre BTR era -or a musically awear 11 or 12 year old !!!
    • a teenager bewteen BTR and BITUSA
    • the MTV/BITUSA generation - I'm on fire may have been your favourite video !!
    • I was a teenager in the 90's
    • legal for me to fianlly buy a beer in the 21st century
    • i was born in the 21st century
  6. 6. Do you or someone you have known refer to their spouce, girlfreind, boyfriend, partner or significant other as Mamma, mother, Daddy, littel girl etc as a term of endearment?ent

7. 7. over time has your opinion changed ?

• Yes, i now understand its not ceepy at all
    • Yes, i now think it is pervey
    • No, its never been pervey to me
    • No, its always going to be pervey for me
  8. 8. little girl or cool rockin' daddy?

Her 'daddy' is away, again, on one of his business trips/jaunts. She spends a lot of time at home … or at the garage cos she fancies the mechanic. :D

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

If anything it's the combination of little girl and mentioning her daddy (she's young enough to still live with her parent (s)) that's pervy. 

But he's not her daddy (parent).

We can all see the words in different ways though :) I think @Nicholas' idea is great!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Thanks! I knew I had joined before but already in 2003, really? :huh: Probably took me so long because I am now some kind of BTX refugee. On BTX they do not share good information that much anymore ...

Totally understand.  I was on BTX a loooooooong time ago.  It’s been years since I even lurked let alone posted on there. 

24 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

But he's not her daddy (parent).

You are correct.  

Not only that but according to the vid, she’s the one married (his “bad desire”) and SHE came on to HIM.  

For goodness sakes, “little girl” and “daddy” are expressions, poetic license... especially in regards to music.  

Not that you should have to count on a video to understand the context of a song; but since it IS there... Seriously, for anyone who hasn’t ever watched the vid, WATCH IT! 

You still might not care for the song musically or like the use of these expressions lyrically.  But it should clear up thinking it’s  ‘purvey’ or ‘creepy.’ 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Thanks! I knew I had joined before but already in 2003, really? :huh: Probably took me so long because I am now some kind of BTX refugee. On BTX they do not share good information that much anymore ...

Welcome to the sunny shores of greasylake

We are friendly here 

5 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Totally off-topic, but that album artwork is very eerie given the events that happened around the time of its release. 

I love this song, was I think in HS (or maybe just starting college??) when it came out. 

What events am I forgetting?? 

13 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

It’s not nearly as bad as Fire.

Perhaps someone should do a poll on that........  

oh the things that come up when we are waiting for tour news. :unsure:

• Haha 2

I've always been a little more worried about FIRE than I'M ON FIRE. 

I mean, he pulls her close, she says no, tells him she doesn't like it, then he calls her a liar and kisses her anyway. 

Wonder if that would get airplay these days?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

It’s not nearly as bad as Fire.

Was just thinking this.

49 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I love this song, was I think in HS (or maybe just starting college??) when it came out. 

What events am I forgetting?? 

On October 20, 1977, only three days after the release of Street Survivors, and five shows into their most successful headlining tour to date, Lynyrd Skynyrd's chartered Convair CV-300 ran out of fuel near the end of their flight from Greenville, South Carolina, where they had just performed at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium, to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Though the pilots attempted an emergency landing on a small airstrip, the plane crashed in a forest five miles northeast of Gillsburg, Mississippi.[5] Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary, and co-pilot William Gray, were killed on impact. The other band members (Collins, Rossington, Wilkeson, Powell, Pyle, and Hawkins), tour manager Ron Eckerman,[6] and road crew survived, but suffered serious injuries.

Following the crash and the ensuing press, Street Survivors became the band's second platinum album and reached No. 5 on the U.S. album chart. The single "What's Your Name?" reached No. 13 on the single airplay charts in January 1978.

The original cover sleeve for Street Survivors had featured a photograph of the band standing on a city street with all its buildings engulfed in flames, some near the center nearly obscuring Steve Gaines's face. After the plane crash, this cover became highly controversial. Out of respect for the deceased (and at the request of Teresa Gaines, Steve's widow), MCA Records withdrew the original cover and replaced it with a similar image of the band against a simple black background, which was on the back cover of the original sleeve. Conspiracy theorists have long claimed that only those band members touched by flame in the photograph were killed in the crash, but this is not true (flame appears to touch nearly all band members).[7]Thirty years later, for the deluxe CD version of Street Survivors, the original "flames" cover was restored.

220px-StreetSurvivorsNoFlams.jpg

• Thanks 1

Oh Lord, do we have to explain Fire again?   p020.gif

Have you never heard the Pointer Sisters' version? 

The girl in the song is attracted to her boyfriend, she really does want to make love with him, but she is reluctant for some reason.  She may be worried about getting a bad reputation, being caught in the act, afraid of getting pregnant, she may even be married to somebody else ... or just playing hard to get.  It doesn't matter why.  What matters is that she is obviously willing but trying to hide her desires, rather unsuccessfully.  With the Pointer Sisters version, you can believe that she wants to be persuaded!  He knows she wants him, and she knows he knows. 

It's a shame that people nowadays seem to see these situations as black or white.  This is not about rape, it's about seduction and the enjoyment of being seduced.  I think it's another one that only the women understand.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Oh Lord, do we have to explain Fire again?   p020.gif

Have you never heard the Pointer Sisters' version? 

The girl in the song is attracted to her boyfriend, she really does want to make love with him, but she is reluctant for some reason.  She may be worried about getting a bad reputation, being caught in the act, afraid of getting pregnant, she may even be married to somebody else ... or just playing hard to get.  It doesn't matter why.  What matters is that she is obviously willing but trying to hide her desires, rather unsuccessfully.  With the Pointer Sisters version, you can believe that she wants to be persuaded!  He knows she wants him, and she knows he knows. 

It's a shame that people nowadays seem to see these situations as black or white.  This is not about rape, it's about seduction and the enjoyment of being seduced.  I think it's another one that only the women understand.

That's all good and fine when it's sang by a woman from the woman's perspective. I'm not offended, nor do I think Bruce meant anything by it, but I stand by my claim that I'd have a hard time seeing it get airplay if it were sang by a man today.

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Not only that but according to the vid, she’s the one married (his “bad desire”) and SHE came on to HIM.  /.../

You still might not care for the song musically or like the use of these expressions lyrically.  But it should clear up thinking it’s  ‘purvey’ or ‘creepy.’ 

Watching a music video doesn't clear anything up about who's that little girl and who's her daddy. Just like the Human Touch video doesn't make it a song about a guy riding a train on his way to visit a woman living at some hotel. A music video is a promotion tool, not a film adaption of the song.

17 minutes ago, LoverInTheCold said:

That's all good and fine when it's sang by a woman from the woman's perspective. I'm not offended, nor do I think Bruce meant anything by it, but I stand by my claim that I'd have a hard time seeing it get airplay if it were sang by a man today.

And rightly so. There’s no “but” after “no means no”. 

Oh, and Rizla, I don't think anyone here needs to have the song explained to them.

26 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

And rightly so. There’s no “but” after “no means no”. 

Oh, and Rizla, I don't think anyone here needs to have the song explained to them.

I've had this argument with you before and I'm not going through it again.

1 minute ago, Rizla said:

I've had this argument with you before and I'm not going through it again.

That’s fine. I wasn’t trying to have this argument with you again. I was just tell you no one needs to have the song explained to them. That comes across as quite condescending.

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

Are you the person who made that funny comment on BTX the other day about trying to find people who actually like Bruce on a Bruce forum? And someone replied that if you want that you should go to Greasy Lake (because, apparently, we are all fawning non critical Bruce sycophants over here).

That was hilarious. If that was you, welcome. Even if it wasn't you, still welcome

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Watching a music video doesn't clear anything up about who's that little girl and who's her daddy. Just like the Human Touch video doesn't make it a song about a guy riding a train on his way to visit a woman living at some hotel. A music video is a promotion tool, not a film adaption of the song.

Ordinarily, I would agree with this. But in this case we have this (posted on the previous page in this thread) quoting the video's director

8 hours ago, el sergio said:

It always seemed pretty obvious to me that it's just like 'daddy' as in sugar daddy.  He's a rich man with a young trophy wife living in a gilded cage.  She is a grown woman who has all the financial security in the world but no love or passion in her life.  The video pretty much backs that up.  Isn't that a stock situation in American music?  The Eagles 'Lyin' Eyes' comes to mind

To back up that theory, you can read what the video director John Sayles is saying about it:
https://www.videostatic.com/4x3/2013/02/09/director-john-sayles-bruce-springsteen-im-fire

"The songs are basically stories, and Bruce had some ideas on what the story in the videos would be. I tend to say that those are the only two movies I’ve made as a director for hire. I came up with shots and stuff like that, but Bruce had a real idea of what he wanted the video to be. They were good ideas, and they were fun to work on... It’s a moody, moody song. So much of it is about the internal mood of this guy. I’d say my major contribution to it is that if Bruce Springsteen was going to play a character and have an entrance, it should be kind of a working-guy entrance, so I have him slide out from under the car. So many of his songs are about a social distance between people"

I also recall that Bruce was initially ambivalent about music videos, stating his songs had their own internal stories and it should be up to the listener to picture them in their mind. (Don't have a source for this, but it was either an early to mid 80's interview or possibly Dave Marsh's Glory Days book). Given that, my guess would be that any ideas Bruce had for the video would be more in line with further embellishing the story already told in the song, as opposed to visually presenting some alternate story or even a deflection from the song itself.

• Like 1

The bloke in the video ( Mr Springsteen) clearly wants to shag the posh lass who owns the vintage T Bird (same car used in the film American Graffiti btw) 

she won't shag him because he's working class, he won't shag her because he might lose his job..

I would have shagged the arse off her, then pinched and sold the car..

nowt pervy about that

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

I disagree.  Sometimes of course it’s simply a promotional tool.  However the vid in this case (and in many others) is telling the story of the song. 

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

she won't shag him because he's working class, he won't shag her because he might lose his job..

You’re probably right about why he walks away... but... um... she most definitely wants him!  

Are they Cyblill Shepard's legs ?

That's the only thing i remember being debated back in the day :lol:

99b3afa897ed5566b8f7591035afea63.jpg