Sign in to follow this  
Daisey Jeep

I'm on fire - pervey or not?

I`m on fire - pervey or not ?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the Springtseen term `little girl` pervey ?

• Hell no ! it's just how (some) men used to refer to their woman - nothing ill intended or under age about it
    • Yip ! ewwwwwwwwwww gross me out - creepy and pervey for me
    • Not sure - i don`t listen to much BITUSA, don`t enjoy music videos or songs about cars or girls
    • hmmmmmm hadn`t noticed, I'm just here for the music and the beer and I live under a rock
  2. 2. What part of the world did you do (the majority of) your growing up in ?

• Bruce country - Interstate 1-195 territory (you lucky bastards!)
    • (the rest of) North America
    • The UK and Ireland
    • Western Europe
    • Eastern Europe
    • Australia, NZ, South Africa (and Zimbabwe/Rhodesia)
    • other - but a place Bruce has toured
    • other - a sad loney place JLM referuse to achknowledge
  3. 3. Is English your first language ?

4. 4. If English is not your first lanuage how did you learn it ?

• In the home from mum and dad or another close relative
    • in kindergarten or at school
    • At university
    • self taught via popular culture eg movies, tv, books
    • from traveling, from friends or workmates,
    • other eg a corrispondence
    • N/A because English is (or one of) my first language(s)
  5. 5. How old are you ?

• About the same age as Bruce - still sexy !!
    • A teenager durring the pre BTR era -or a musically awear 11 or 12 year old !!!
    • a teenager bewteen BTR and BITUSA
    • the MTV/BITUSA generation - I'm on fire may have been your favourite video !!
    • I was a teenager in the 90's
    • legal for me to fianlly buy a beer in the 21st century
    • i was born in the 21st century
  6. 6. Do you or someone you have known refer to their spouce, girlfreind, boyfriend, partner or significant other as Mamma, mother, Daddy, littel girl etc as a term of endearment?ent

7. 7. over time has your opinion changed ?

• Yes, i now understand its not ceepy at all
    • Yes, i now think it is pervey
    • No, its never been pervey to me
    • No, its always going to be pervey for me
  8. 8. little girl or cool rockin' daddy?

I do not think it is "pervy". I do think that it SOUNDS that way in a way that makes me personally as a listener uncomfortable, and so I don't like it. I would have said it was prior to whoever's comment in another thread clarifying "bad desire" for me.

I don't like the song. But then, I don't like it musically anyway.

English is my first language, I'm 24. I do have a friend who calls her boyfriend "daddy" which also kind of plays into part of their dynamic and individual kink. "Daddy" is becoming more sexualized again among younger people in recent years I think, even to the point of kind of being a meme. Personally I would never use "Daddy" as a sexual thing because like ew. I don't get it. But it's a thing.
I do not know anyone who uses "little girl". I am sure it was a thing in music at the time probably, since enough people who would know better have said to me that it was, so. Male. The poll should ideally be inclusive of respondents who are neither male nor female!!

3 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Are you the person who made that funny comment on BTX the other day about trying to find people who actually like Bruce on a Bruce forum? And someone replied that if you want that you should go to Greasy Lake (because, apparently, we are all fawning non critical Bruce sycophants over here).

That was hilarious. If that was you, welcome. Even if it wasn't you, still welcome

To be fair, we are pretty civil here compared to BTX. That place has mostly been a dumpster fire for a while now. 

• Like 1

I'm on Fire - Pervy or not

At age 34-35 when he wrote the song: Eh, not so much

Now at age 70: yes

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Guess you never saw the vid?  

I have.

It had nothing to do with the song, imho, and I'd like to forget its existence. 

• Like 1

The combo of 'little girl' and 'bad desire' is where I have the problem.

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Are they Cyblill Shepard's legs ?

That's the only thing i remember being debated back in the day :lol:

99b3afa897ed5566b8f7591035afea63.jpg

Nice pins.

She was great in Taxi Driver

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:
13 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

she won't shag him because he's working class, he won't shag her because he might lose his job..

You’re probably right about why he walks away... but... um... she most definitely wants him!  

And here we have a good example of wanting, but something holding you back.  On both sides!
Aren't we all thinking, "Go on!  Go for it!"

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 2:28 AM, Rizla said:

I still like it.  Not as much as the Human Touch one though.  (Bruce smiles at a little girl in that one!  how creepy is that, ewww) ;)

Human Touch is one of Bruce's best videos. It helps -of course- it is a video for a very great song, Bruce's greatest song of the 90s.

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

FWIW, I think it's a horrible song.    

FWIW, I think it's a horrible video.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

FWIW, I think it's a horrible video.

'Embarassing' is maybe a better word. Or just: a very bad video, Bruce's worst video after the Dancing In The Dark video (which is also very bad, horrible and embarassing).

3 hours ago, J said:

I have.

It had nothing to do with the song, imho, and I'd like to forget its existence. 

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I honestly don’t understand how you could think that.  

Especially since Bruce himself is in it (meaning even though you don’t hear it as such, it’s most likely representative of the story he wanted to tell) and the director also says otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Lampi said:

'Embarassing' is maybe a better word. Or just: a very bad video, Bruce's worst video after the Dancing In The Dark video (which is also very bad, horrible and embarassing).

Since I love the vid (and the song), I disagree... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Human Touch is one of Bruce's best videos. It helps -of course- it is a video for a very great song, Bruce's greatest song of the 90s.

I couldn't agree more.

31 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Aren't we all thinking, "Go on!  Go for it!"

Actually I always liked that he walked away (with that little chuckle as he puts the keys in the mailbox) at the end! 

10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I don’t know about “greatest song of the 90s,” but it’s one of my all time most favorites for sure! 

As an aside, at the time the tacoma 17 Oct 84 version was reported as "steamy" and "sultry" ;) 

Just now, JimCT said:

As an aside, at the time the tacoma 17 Oct 84 version was reported as "steamy" and "sultry" ;) 

I can believe that... 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, J said:

I've never consider I'm On Fire as Bruce trying to write a love song in his own voice... To me this is written from the point of view of a stalker who's barely holding his shit together, someone on the edge of sanity. It's a song that goes well with the title song on Nebraska imho. 

It was also said [on this forum]  the 'freight train going through the middle of my head' is about Bruce's feelings of depression.

Edit: more the whole 3rd verse, not only this line.

In hindsight, even more strange such a spooky song with these lyrics was a very big hit all around the world, in some countries No.1. Different times indeed.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

head

“Skull” :P, and yes, I’ve always thought the same.  

47 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Actually I always liked that he walked away (with that little chuckle as he puts the keys in the mailbox) at the end! 

Nooooo, that drove me crazy!!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think desire can even be classified as bad. Desire is one of the most thrilling emotions, and yes, if you feel it for someone you shouldn't because of one social norm or another, it can be very frustrating. But this fact doesn't make the emotion itself bad. I think it's primal and necessary for human existence. It's what's making us mate and reproduce. We have long ago gone through the sexual revolution, I can't really understand this debate going on in 2020. The song is amazing, in my opinion, and perfectly represents the feeling. Not just the desire, self restraint also.

• Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

It was also said [on this forum]  the 'freight train going through the middle of my head' is about Bruce's feelings of depression.

Edit: more the whole 3rd verse, not only this line.

In hindsight, even more strange such a spooky song with these lyrics was a very big hit all around the world, in some countries No.1. Different times indeed.

Yeah that part specifically sounds like someone who is on the edge of snapping... 

37 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I don't think desire can even be classified as bad. Desire is one of the most thrilling emotions, and yes, if you feel it for someone you shouldn't because of one social norm or another, it can be very frustrating. But this fact doesn't make the emotion itself bad. I think it's primal and necessary for human existence. It's what's making us mate and reproduce. We have long ago gone through the sexual revolution, I can't really understand this debate going on in 2020. The song is amazing, in my opinion, and perfectly represents the feeling. Not just the desire, self restraint also.

I think this brings up a good point. I don’t think that the song being pervy (whatever the definition of that is) means it is bad. What is the line between desire and pervy? I don’t think pervy means being a pedophile. 
Anyway, the song is definitely in the bottom 1/4 of songs he has recorded but it has spawned a good conversation so it has that going for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Anyway, the song is definitely in the bottom 1/4 of songs he has recorded

Definitely?  Ok, as long as we’re talking in ‘absolutes’ it’s definitely not. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

13 hours ago, lilbud said:

I'm on Fire - Pervy or not

At age 34-35 when he wrote the song: Eh, not so much

Now at age 70: yes

I do hope you're not suggesting it's "pervy" to feel desire and enjoy sex in later life.  :unsure:

• Like 1