Greasy Lake Community

I think it's him whistling in Working on a Dream? I guess he really tried everything to save that song... :)

Other songs where Bruce is whistling? Or any other band member?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I think it's him whistling in Working on a Dream? I guess he really tried everything to save that song... :)

Other songs where Bruce is whistling? Or any other band member?

If Bruce really thought whistling could save Workin on a dream...no further comment... He whistles - not very well - on If I Should Fall Behind in 1996-7. Best version of the song, save for the whistling.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Silvia said:

That’s your doctor tells usually you, you really need a producer... ;)

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, AMIW said:

i am pretty sure there was some whistling during I'm on Fire on the Devils and Dust tour

yes and here is the thread about it from Mr Busstop

Thanks. Haven't heard this before. 

Whistling definitely makes the song less pervy. :P

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

If Bruce really thought whistling could save Workin on a dream...no further comment... He whistles - not very well - on If I Should Fall Behind in 1996-7. Best version of the song, save for the whistling.

He didn't think much about the entire song, not just about the whistling. :)

25 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

Just what a mediocre song needs, a whistle solo. I always guessed it was O'Brien's idea. Embarrassing.

I'm still trying to figure out this song. It's not as bad, as it is bizzare and uncommon. Nothing like Bruce. And yes, the whistling doesn't help. 

On 2/18/2020 at 5:39 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The infamous "Does This Bus Stop?" solo on piano to open Wembley 2016. 

Woeful :lol:

He really should have had a glass of water and licked his lips as that ending was approaching! Apart from that the version of the song was absolutely superb. It deserved a better ending. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Silvia said:

I'm still trying to figure out this song. It's not as bad, as it is bizzare and uncommon. Nothing like Bruce. And yes, the whistling doesn't help. 

He did it solo acoustic way back when on Jon Stewart's Daily Show and it was kind of nice.

22 hours ago, Silvia said:

Working on a Dream?  I quite like it.  Don’t necessarily love, but truly don’t mind the whistling.

I don’t find it bizarre at all.  Lyrics seem very Bruce-like to me.   

You may not care for it (musically or lyrically), and here on the Lake you’re certainly not alone!!  

But for one of my Bruce Buds, she ALWAYS tells me how much she loves it. It’s amongst her most favorites.  Another says it’s in her top ten.   Same for two different guys I know.  

Most (non Lakers) everyone else I know either likes or ‘likes it a lot.’  

As is often said, to each his/her own... 

I love trully love working on a dream

Ever since my first listen

Its Bruce at his working class best just an older working class Bruce

I used to happily go off to work listening to it

I really love the whole swing my hammer thing because Gary is a builder/joiner by trade and its an occupation trully worthy of being immortalized in a song by Bruce Springsteen 

As a song it really speaks to me 

Perhaps its just a metafore but to me its Gary and I

With the exception of Jack of all trades and not counting WOAD (because i prefer the LINYC version) its a better album to my ears than WB and i enjoy listening to it more than BITUSA

Its all part of the natural progression to WS but with some middle aged positivity along the way but still with some underlining darkness

I will never understand the hate that is hurled at this album on such a regular basis

And i love the whisteling

When thinking of whistling in a song, the first two songs that pop in mind are:

(Two VERY different artist).

Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' with Disaster (Danny Joe Brown whistle late in the song)

The Bangle - Walk like an Egyptian.