Greasy Lake Community

03/28/88 Detroit, MI - New Nugs release!

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

What???????

This show is a Reason To Believe EVERYTHING was better in 1988?

I usually find a song in every release that becomes a special song for me for the most peculiar reasons.

This time it's all about how he says 'doggy'. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The first half of that show is faultless and as good as anything I’ve heard him do live.

That is absolutely true.

Mountain View is considered -even if this is of course subjective- the best show of the U.S.A. leg, with the standard set list of the 'Tunnel Of Love Express' and a few extra things like the 'real' encore with two more songs (one of them a real rarity) to make it more special (and also the longest show of the U.S.A. leg). Maybe the two Mountain View shows were also part of a  little mid-tour transition -in Mountain View and Los Angeles- from the very standard first half of the U.S.A. leg (like this show) to some set list changes and a little bit-but only a very little bit- variation in the setlist in the second half of the U.S.A. leg.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I usually find a song in every release that becomes a special song for me for the most peculiar reasons.

No it is something else...:unsure:

You see until about an hour ago I did read this all on my mobile Phone. The OP mentions the setlist but not the soundcheck song-only that there is a 'bonus'  soundcheck song-and there is no post in this topic in which you could read the soundcheck song is Reason To Believe. Until you click on a link-which I did not do on my Phone. So when you posted 'Reason To Believe' I thought 'What???' 

But after some posts about the bullet mic it dawned on me Reason To Believe might be the bonus track...:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Which it is.

Deep apologies to Slovenia.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

……...

….Of course you can also see what the soundcheck track is when you buy the show, but I did not do that yet…(casual fan:ph34r:)....

….Well truth is I will buy the show when I have actually time to listen to it-which will not be until Sunday I'm afraid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It shoulda been #1, man. 

I've realised the errors of my ways. Down with "Trapped", "The Medley" all the way.

Pretty sure it's mentioned in a report somewhere that the Russians interfered with that poll....

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

You see until about an hour ago I did read this all on my mobile Phone. The OP mentions the setlist but not the soundcheck song-only that there is a 'bonus'  soundcheck song-and there is no post in this topic in which you could read the soundcheck song is Reason To Believe. Until you click on a link-which I did not do on my Phone. So when you posted 'Reason To Believe' I thought 'What???' 

But after some posts about the bullet mic it dawned on me Reason To Believe might be the bonus track...:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Which it is.

……...

….Of course you can also see what the soundcheck track is when you buy the show, but I did not do that yet…(casual fan:ph34r:)....

….Well truth is I will buy the show when I have actually time to listen to it-which will not be until Sunday I'm afraid.

Based on a 30 second clip ...it sounds like i vastly prefer the Magic Tour version of RTB...BUT the TOL Tour to you ..is The River Tour to me .... So i Understand completely :).... I need to hear Love Me Tender also ....That thirty second clip sounded lovely ..... also i loved Detroit Medleys "I'M just a prisoner .....of love" ...

edit .... Actually heard the RTB on You Tube ...still like the Magic version ....but the 30 second clip didnt do this one justice

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

If you like horns, listen very closely and you might just hear them in the mix.

I've only got as far as All That Heaven Will Allow, but noticed on Adam that the horns are much less prominent than on, say, the LA 88 show. Based on your comment I'm guessing I should expect this same issue for the rest of the show once I get around to it...

I have a question for those long time fans who have been on this train since the 70's.

How was the TOL tour received by the long time fans at the time? On the one hand, warhorses like Badlands, Promised Land, Thunder Road etc were gone (indeed, most of the BTR and Darkness albums were put aside). On the other hand, rarities like Be True, Roulette and the rockabilly You Can Look.. became staples. 

Staging and a static setlist was also a departure, as was the addition of horns to the soundscape.

Was it greeted as a refreshing change to the status quo, or with consternation from the long timers? Or somewhere in between?

59 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I have a question for those long time fans who have been on this train since the 70's.

How was the TOL tour received by the long time fans at the time? On the one hand, warhorses like Badlands, Promised Land, Thunder Road etc were gone (indeed, most of the BTR and Darkness albums were put aside). On the other hand, rarities like Be True, Roulette and the rockabilly You Can Look.. became staples. 

Staging and a static setlist was also a departure, as was the addition of horns to the soundscape.

Was it greeted as a refreshing change to the status quo, or with consternation from the long timers? Or somewhere in between?

To me, it just seemed like another Springsteen tour. I didn't miss the warhorses and I loved all the new stuff we were hearing; not just the Tunnel songs, but the new covers, Be True and Roulette. I welcomed the horns, was in love with Patti and enjoyed it.

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 2

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

Been on the train since the late 70s and saw 6 USA Tunnel shows.  This is one “long time fan’s” opinion in response to your question.  It had been almost 2 1/2 years since seeing the 4 LA coliseum shows so was looking forward to the tour. We knew before, based on friends seeing the opening MA shows and the press reports citing BS, the “war horses” would be dropped from the set (at least pre-Europe).  That was the right call and I didn’t miss them.
There were amazing stretches during the shows, Tunnel into Boom Boom, Adam/Seeds with the horns, Spare>War>USA, this USA version arguably being more powerful than 84/85.  There were also some truly beautiful moments like Borderline, Tougher, 1 Step, and Walk.  The encores were on fire, with the horns adding so much to Rosy, 10th, Detroit, Heart, Sweet Soul and Raise. But . . . Roulette and Be True, 2 of my all time favs, as performed on the 1988 Tour, never approached the speed or explosive and liberating power of the studio versions sung almost 10 years earlier.  The band didn’t seem as close or connected on stage, as exemplified by their on stage interactions of earlier tours.  It is my understanding Bruce wanted to tour solo but Landau convinced him to go out with the band.  That translated on stage.  The interaction between Bruce and Patti was much more pronounced though, and I thought effective. If you’re  able to see video clips of the horns doing their Vegas style dance moves during the set you’ll understand why some fans cringed during the shows.  Lastly, the set was partly “refreshing” to borrow  your word and I wasn’t experiencing any “consternation” during the shows.  I enjoyed the shows.  I don’t think they were as good as the earlier tours.  I can sum up my reaction to the Tunnel sets as similar to my reaction when BS changed screaming out “prisoner of rock and roll” from earlier tours to “prisoner of love” near the end of the Tunnel concerts.  It was no longer the apex rock and roll show . . . but was the artistic direction he had to go in and you gotta respect him for it. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

……...

Thanks for the clarification. No need for apologies, I thought it was just your Dutch humour. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Rumble said:

Roulette and Be True, 2 of my all time favs, as performed on the 1988 Tour, never approached the speed or explosive and liberating power of the studio versions sung almost 10 years earlier.

I always thought those live versions of Be True kicked ass all over the somewhat lightweight studio version. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I always thought those live versions of Be True kicked ass all over the somewhat lightweight studio version. 

Yes.

And to answer my own previous question, this 'new' mix of Be True is weak in comparison to other live version that came out in '88.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Yes.

And to answer my own previous question, this 'new' mix of Be True is weak in comparison to other live version that came out in '88.

Maybe also some studio trickery on the 1988 release which is absent here?

• Like 2

Jezus fucking h christ

2 hours to unzip this mother fucker

:angry:

I don't know what the fuck im doing and now i don't even remember what i did to make it finally work

But ive now used up 82% power and 18% won't get me the full concert to go to bed with 

tenor-3.gif

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The version of Be True is stunning on the previously released version, and I don't just mean the performance.  The audio mix is fantastic.  It's loud and clean and balanced.  So, I'm curious to see if Altschiller has ruined it, improved it, or just maintained the status quo.  If anyone can let us know.

Thanks.

:)

Entirely ruined it I’m afraid.  In tandem with the 2009 release last month, this proves again that Altschiller is barely competent at mixing.  His inability to balance the instrumental mix ruined a song I have been waiting for since the archive programme began: last month’s electric Tom Joad.  You can barely hear Nils over the muddy drums and Patti’s wailing.  Compare that show to the Live in Hyde Park videos and the difference is staggering.

This latest release is a great show (Though there are no shows from 1988 that aren’t great and TOL tour was Bruce’s post-Darkness peak for me) but the listening experience is marred by the fact that the drums dominate everything - try listening to Roulette and BITUSA for example.  And you can barely hear Nils on Tunnel, Cover Me and Detroit Medley.

As awesome as it currently is, Altschiller is stopping the archive programme from reaching its true potential.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Karembu said:

Entirely ruined it I’m afraid.  In tandem with the 2009 release last month, this proves again that Altschiller is barely competent at mixing.  His inability to balance the instrumental mix ruined a song I have been waiting for since the archive programme began: last month’s electric Tom Joad.  You can barely hear Nils over the muddy drums and Patti’s wailing.  Compare that show to the Live in Hyde Park videos and the difference is staggering.

This latest release is a great show (Though there are no shows from 1988 that aren’t great and TOL tour was Bruce’s post-Darkness peak for me) but the listening experience is marred by the fact that the drums dominate everything - try listening to Roulette and BITUSA for example.  And you can barely hear Nils on Tunnel, Cover Me and Detroit Medley.

As awesome as it currently is, Altschiller is stopping the archive programme from reaching its true potential.

I have to agree re Altschiller.  He certainly dislikes integrating a horn section into a song. Why they entrusted the archive series to an outsider baffles me.

Having said that, the slow songs are fine. OSU and TTTR are beautiful.