Greasy Lake Community

03/28/88 Detroit, MI - New Nugs release!

I have to say 1988 Bruce is the peak for me, Tunnel of Love is probably my favourite album and this release is something special.

I wasn’t even born when the tour happened so this has been my holy grail. It was such a fantastic experience to listen to into the late night.  To have a pristine verson of Walk Like A Man is what stands this release apart from the other archive shows. I think this release is going to get a lot of airplay in my house. 

• Like 9

These will be the final days of Bruce singing the way he did for the entire 80’s - in another couple weeks he will start singing more harsh and hard for the rest of his career! 

Listen to this show carefully. Then listen to how he sounds in May/88 and so on. 

Why the sudden shift in tone/pitch will always puzzle me. This is the way he should have stayed.

Great show here - best tour - the band was so tight!

Brad 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

To me, it just seemed like another Springsteen tour. I didn't miss the warhorses and I loved all the new stuff we were hearing; not just the Tunnel songs, but the new covers, Be True and Roulette. I welcomed the horns, was in love with Patti and enjoyed it.

I'm aware that the chemistry between Bruce and Patti was very evident and well exhibited on stage during TOL. Have you already known by then, or at least sensed that they were involved before it became official? Or did you believe it was just part of the show? 

13 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I'm aware that the chemistry between Bruce and Patti was very evident and well exhibited on stage during TOL. Have you already known by then, or at least sensed that they were involved before it became official? Or did you believe it was just part of the show? 

I saw the Denver show in April of 1988. The show was very different than earlier shows and Patti was out front. It wasn't known then that they were involved (if their relationship had even started then) but I remember hearing TOL for the first time and thinking things weren't all well. It was not what I was expecting after the whirlwind romance and marriage during the BITUSA time and tour. To be honest, I can't remember if I thought there was something between them or if it was just an act, but a pretty intense one at times,  but it wasn't surprising to hear that they had gotten together later in the summer when the news broke.

As for the question about what people thought of these shows, they were so different from the earlier tours I seem to remember some people not quite knowing what to think, but for me Tunnel is in his top three albums and has been since it came out and I liked that we were seeing something different, also due to a move, it would be the last time I saw Bruce until The Rising tour so it was a special show. With the archive series, with the exception of Winterland, it's the Tunnel shows that I listen to. I don't listen to the others I have at all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

At that time, I thought it was still me and Patti all the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

To unzip it or download it?

To unzip :(

Fingers crossed i can find it this morning 

To be fear i think im out of menory but it didn't tell me that ? :angry:

I finally found something on the internet - some app - and it fished out some unused apps to delete and then it worked - about 1am

I guess i have a month to sort the situation out ...

58 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

At that time, I thought it was still me and Patti all the way.

Do you like Patti because Bruce loves her, or would you still like her if she weren't a band member, and his wife? 

I'm losing it....:D

18 minutes ago, Rusboud said:

I'm the only who thinks the soundcheck of Reason To Believe is amazing?.....please more bonus like this as they did in NY 88.

No, this is incredible! An awesome arrangement.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Walk like a man. What a bridge with guitar licks and what an outro. I thought the outro on The Wrestler from last months archive release was special, but Walk Like A Man, tops it. 

The archive series, eh. Bloody hell. 

We're 2 shows in out of 11 (maybe 12) and we've already got four strong shouts for Top 10 of the year in "Walk Like a Man", "Born in the U.S.A.", "The Wrestler" and "Kingdom of Days". 

Here's to the whittling down process in December, I can't wait! :lol:

1 minute ago, Silvia said:

You are late. I was expecting your review Saturday morning.

:)

Haha, very sorry about the delay to you and anyone else who's been waiting for it. It was a mixture of deciding to enjoy listening to the show without making notes for once and mainly struggling to find the words that held me up. 

I'll be more than happy to have my reviews written for when the moment the shows are dropped if anyone/everyone wants to get in touch with Nugs about it... :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Silvia said:

How many soundchecks are there?

I know there are recordings for "When You're Alone" and "Valentine's Day" from the soundcheck/rehearsals circulating. They used to be on YouTube but have since tragically been deleted. 

They should do for another two ToL releases from the early stages of the tour though!