Greasy Lake Community

03/28/88 Detroit, MI - New Nugs release!

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Haha, very sorry about the delay to you and anyone else who's been waiting for it. It was a mixture of deciding to enjoy listening to the show without making notes for once and mainly struggling to find the words that held me up. 

I'll be more than happy to have my reviews written for when the moment the shows are dropped if anyone/everyone wants to get in touch with Nugs about it... :D

Imagine Bruce is actually your boss.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Silvia said:

Imagine Bruce is actually your boss.

And how do you stay objective?

(I'm not sure you are, because I'm not either) :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Silvia said:

And how do you stay objective?

(I'm not sure you are, because I'm not either) :D

Would I have to run any criticism queries past Editor-in-chief, Mr D Marsh?

Me: "Can I please say this song performance isn't as good as one from a previous show from the tour, mr boss man, sir?"

Mr Marsh: "Get out."

Me: "But even Bruce says "that was terrible!" afterwards!"

Mr Marsh: "Get. Out." 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Silvia said:

How many soundchecks are there?

Quite some 1988 soundchecks were circulating among collectors in the late 80s.

Like Atlanta 23 March 1988:

'Artists covered in the soundcheck include Van Morrison ("Tupelo Honey", "Crazy Love", "Into The Mystic"), Sam Cooke ("A Change Is Gonna Come"), The Everly Brothers ("Let It Be Me"), Chuck Berry ("Betty Jean"), Billy Lee Riley ("Is That All To The Ball (Mr. Hall)"), Thomas Wayne ("You're The One That Done It"), Bob Dylan ("Just Like A Woman" and "One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later"), and The Animals ("Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "It's My Life"). "A Satisfied Mind" meanwhile was written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes, and has been covered by the likes of The Byrds and Bob Dylan.'

And Chapel Hill 4 March 1988:

'Fascinating soundcheck of 60s tracks include covers of "Let It Be Me" (The Everly Brothers), several Byrd's songs ("He Was A Friend Of Mine", "Goin' Back", "Mr. Tambourine Man") and Bob Dylan's "My Back Pages" (also covered by The Byrds) and "Just Like A Woman". Springsteen also soundchecks three Van Morrison tracks - "Brown Eyed Girl", "Tupelo Honey" and "Crazy Love".'

Songs like Across the Borderline, Crying and Lonely Teardrops were played during soundchecks before finally played during a regular show.

(I think somewhere in my house, in a box with many, many cassette tapes, somewhere, somewhere, there is a cassette tape of the Atlanta soundcheck:ph34r:....collecting not even too many live shows on cassette tapes but also soundchecks...I was really obsessed then….but then there is a certain website called Greasy Lake where I can feel normal among other lunatics).

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

25 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"You post a blog late and the boss man's giving you hell"

'But boss, you delay releases of Archive Series release at the very, very last minute yourself!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Quite some 1988 soundchecks were circulating among collectors in the late 80s.

Like Atlanta 23 March 1988:

'Artists covered in the soundcheck include Van Morrison ("Tupelo Honey", "Crazy Love", "Into The Mystic"), Sam Cooke ("A Change Is Gonna Come"), The Everly Brothers ("Let It Be Me"), Chuck Berry ("Betty Jean"), Billy Lee Riley ("Is That All To The Ball (Mr. Hall)"), Thomas Wayne ("You're The One That Done It"), Bob Dylan ("Just Like A Woman" and "One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later"), and The Animals ("Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "It's My Life"). "A Satisfied Mind" meanwhile was written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes, and has been covered by the likes of The Byrds and Bob Dylan.'

And Chapel Hill 4 March 1988:

'Fascinating soundcheck of 60s tracks include covers of "Let It Be Me" (The Everly Brothers), several Byrd's songs ("He Was A Friend Of Mine", "Goin' Back", "Mr. Tambourine Man") and Bob Dylan's "My Back Pages" (also covered by The Byrds) and "Just Like A Woman". Springsteen also soundchecks three Van Morrison tracks - "Brown Eyed Girl", "Tupelo Honey" and "Crazy Love".'

Songs like Across the Borderline, Crying and Lonely Teardrops were played during soundchecks before finally played during a regular show.

(I think somewhere in my house, in a box with many, many cassette tapes, somewhere, somewhere, there is a cassette tape of the Atlanta soundcheck:ph34r:....collecting not even too many live shows on cassette tapes but also soundchecks...I was really obsessed then….but then there is a certain website called Greasy Lake where I can feel normal among other lunatics).

Is that recording of Bruce and Patti doing Gulf Coast Highway from a sound check? And, if so, is it from the TOL tour? That would really be something if that made it's way in great quality onto an Archive release...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Silvia said:

I'm aware that the chemistry between Bruce and Patti was very evident and well exhibited on stage during TOL. Have you already known by then, or at least sensed that they were involved before it became official? Or did you believe it was just part of the show? 

Ask the desk man at the Moonlight Motel. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Ask the desk man at the Moonlight Motel. 

I actually googled Moonlight Motel when the album came out. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Is that recording of Bruce and Patti doing Gulf Coast Highway from a sound check? And, if so, is it from the TOL tour? That would really be something if that made it's way in great quality onto an Archive release...

I believe there were at least two soundchecks. One was Wembley.

Fantastic song, and a lovely cover.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

13 hours ago, Rusboud said:

I'm the only who thinks the soundcheck of Reason To Believe is amazing?.....please more bonus like this as they did in NY 88.

No...You're definitely not alone in thinking that. It's incredible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

No...You're definitely not alone in thinking that. It's incredible.

I havn't had time to listen to this release yet as i dont do casual listening - i need 100% concentration- not on a first listen

But im thinking as its the sound  check i can have a sneak listen 

It is pretty fantastic

But im not convinced its better than the bullet mik 

• Like 1

Possibly my favourite version of OSU so far. It’s a song firmly lodged in my top 5 Bruce tunes so I’ll never tire of hearing new versions. The band are just so tight on it. Max is like a metronome and that hypnotic, looping guitar pattern is perfect throughout.

I often find myself wondering about the shows and songs we’ll never hear on the back of this project. The songs that took place on a midweek show in some smaller city or arena. Little pockets of magic that never got past the night they were created apart from in the minds and hearts of the people who had that ticket. 

• Like 7

I’m having the best time with this show: Last night me and another Tramp ate three Marijuana Gummies, had a cocktail and talked about the tour for hours while it was playing over the speakers! So fun!!!

I saw the Atlanta shows a few days prior but I always thought the ones that followed over the next few weeks were better. In fact, if you really wanna jam out, check out the next night here in Detroit! 

Also, I was totally blown away with the soundcheck of 'Reason’!! I knew he was goofing around during some of them (Ramrod was sound checked in Atlanta) but I NEVER knew anything from 'Nebraska' was even remotely thought about, let alone rehearsed!! Eric Flannigan (in his traditional write up/press release) said it perfect in that’s its similar to what he eventually played in Madison Sq Garden two months later: Guthrie’s Vigilante Man! Bruce just knew what he wanted us to hear from the start. 

1988 was special and I’ve been happy to see the  tour get the respect it deserves over this past decade. 

Brad

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Possibly my favourite version of OSU so far. It’s a song firmly lodged in my top 5 Bruce tunes so I’ll never tire of hearing new versions. The band are just so tight on it. Max is like a metronome and that hypnotic, looping guitar pattern is perfect throughout.

I often find myself wondering about the shows and songs we’ll never hear on the back of this project. The songs that took place on a midweek show in some smaller city or arena. Little pockets of magic that never got past the night they were created apart from in the minds and hearts of the people who had that ticket. 

Well said dude ... I don’t know what OSU stands for but I certainly get where your coming from.

Would have been nice to hear Lucky Man; Valentines Day and When Your Alone ... possibly even Two For The Road as well. Whatever the case, it was a good time! 

PS: How about switching out "Roulette" for "Protection" for a few nights? Or "Give The Girl A Kiss" instead of "I’m A Coward" .... just saying lol

Brad

• Like 1