Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

03/28/88 Detroit, MI - New Nugs release!


Recommended Posts

Just downloaded this baby, and all I can say is...what the hell happened to the horns?!?! 

I know Promise61 adressed this, but I really didn't think it was this bad. They're not just turned a bit down, they're just about deleted. I'm shocked (and I was completely fine with the '77 shows).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Just downloaded this baby, and all I can say is...what the hell happened to the horns?!?! 

I know Promise61 adressed this, but I really didn't think it was this bad. They're not just turned a bit down, they're just about deleted. I'm shocked (and I was completely fine with the '77 shows).

Skip the show, and go directly to the Reason to believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Can't wait until we get a U.S.A. Tour show with "State Trooper" on and I can play the two back-to-back. 

Ironically, the sound check track is my favorite here.

As is For Your Love.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Ok so I now have no idea which songs I'm supposed to be listening out for nonexistent horns on, because everything seems fine to me when I play the show.

I know I'm an Archive Series fanboi, but I'd honestly love to know what's justifying the horns criticism. 

Tunnel, Adam, Light Of Day, Hungry Heart, Glory Days, Rosie, Detroit medley...to name the most obvious. Compare them to the MSG show, which I think is the show where they got the horns the best.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Ok so I now have no idea which songs I'm supposed to be listening out for nonexistent horns on, because everything seems fine to me when I play the show.

I know I'm an Archive Series fanboi, but I'd honestly love to know what's justifying the horns criticism. 

I hear the horns just fine, too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I hear the horns just fine, too.

Have to try with other earphones/speakers, because with the ones I used last night, the horns were barely audible. I do hope it's the earphones and not the mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Thanks, Brad and good morning to you too.  I can see that they seem out of place, but I think they tie in well with Seeds and Roulette. I think that there are multiple reasons why these seemingly tematically jarring songs were played, the most obvious being that 3 of the songs were quite recent, and the 4th was one of Bruce's biggest hits. War was a Top 10 single, and all the songs were recent enough then not to be labelled "war-horses". Also, the music itself made the set flow very well. The Seeds riff coming after ATHWA just fits so well, the creeping synth intro to Cover Me fitting beautifully coming after the rumbling Roulette tom-toms. And BITUSA, excellently paired with War, taking the place of the more triumphant and joyful Thunder Road, or Jungleland. 

The merch said "This is not a dark ride". The merch was ironic, of course.

The Seeds connection is made well on the MSG release where Bruce ad libs "I'm a long gone boy" or something similar towards the end of Seeds.

I think broadly it all fits into the " two faces have I" theme of that first set. The Brilliant Disguise through Spare Parts through War through BITUSA sequence gradually moves the two faces / disguised true nature conceit from the personal to the societal and political 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Just downloaded this baby, and all I can say is...what the hell happened to the horns?!?! 

I know Promise61 adressed this, but I really didn't think it was this bad. They're not just turned a bit down, they're just about deleted. I'm shocked (and I was completely fine with the '77 shows).

My reference point is Stockholm 88.  The live to air mix is brilliant. The horns are up front in the mix, loud, clear and punching.  Which is probably how Bruce intended it, otherwise why would he add them to the shows in the first place? 

This Detroit mix is anaemic in comparison. The horns are there, clearly, but hiding away at the back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

My reference point is Stockholm 88.  The live to air mix is brilliant. The horns are up front in the mix, loud, clear and punching.  Which is probably how Bruce intended it, otherwise why would he add them to the shows in the first place? 

This Detroit mix is anaemic in comparison. The horns are there, clearly, but hiding away at the back.

Completely agree, the original Stockholm mix is the gold standard, really. 

Yes the horns are there on the Detroit show, but they are so hidden. Listening to Adam now, and the horn melody is barely audible. A real disappointment, because as you say, I also believe Bruce intended the horns to be up front. I mean, this is not the same issue as if, say, Clarence's finger cymbals on Worlds Apart had been mixed down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Completely agree, the original Stockholm mix is the gold standard, really. 

Yes the horns are there on the Detroit show, but they are so hidden. Listening to Adam now, and the horn melody is barely audible. A real disappointment, because as you say, I also believe Bruce intended the horns to be up front. I mean, this is not the same issue as if, say, Clarence's finger cymbals on Worlds Apart had been mixed down. 

Also, significantly, Stockholm was mixed by someone in the Bruce camp, Toby Scott, who worked on the whole tour.  Detroit was not. From the beginning of the archive series I've been surprised that JLM / Bruce contracted this work out to a third party.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Also, significantly, Stockholm was mixed by someone in the Bruce camp, Toby Scott, who worked on the whole tour.  Detroit was not. From the beginning of the archive series I've been surprised that JLM / Bruce contracted this work out to a third party.

Wasn't Toby replaced with Altschiller not too long after Rome 2013? I remember that Toby mixed a few of the first shows, before First Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it just me or is the track splitting a little subpar on this release?

Specifically I'm thinking that the guitar intro on "Adam Raised A Cain" (before the 1 2 3 4) should be part of the "Adam Raised A Cain" track (not "Be True").

Also, I think that "Sweet Soul Music" should be separate from the "Detroit Medley" in this show, since clearly the latter has stopped and Bruce does some spoken intro before "Sweet Soul Music".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enough pissin' and moanin' now, I've been listening to the show while making dinner and I've gotten used to the mix a bit more. The horns are fine and present on Cover Me and Rosie to name 2 songs, that is they're not too hidden. The show itself is enjoyable (of course), like Bruce starting singing the wrong lyrics after the guitar solos on Roulette but getting it right quickly. 

I'm just a prisoner of the Tunnel of Love Express

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best opening "Tunnel Of Love" of the 4 '88 shows released so far, imo.  The others have really long, repetitive intros (I'm assuming b/c the band was coming onto the stage).  This one is much better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Is it just me or is the track splitting a little subpar on this release?

Specifically I'm thinking that the guitar intro on "Adam Raised A Cain" (before the 1 2 3 4) should be part of the "Adam Raised A Cain" track (not "Be True").

 

A big mistake. It's not like that on the other '88s. Sloppy work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

A big mistake. It's not like that on the other '88s. Sloppy work.

 

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The sax intro for "All That Heaven Allow" is attached to the end of "Two Faces" on the LA 23/4 show

In the earlier years of the Archive Series I had more free time in my life and I would buy the lossless shows, combine them into one massive track, and then re-split them by my own criteria.  Spoken intros etc. would all have their own track.  By the time I was done, an average show would have around 40 track splits.  Very nerdy stuff but it makes for a much more pleasant listening experience for me when I made compilation playlists from multiple shows.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Dr. Zoom said:

Btw: is it earphones or headphones? We're confused in Norwegian as well :P

My concept of 'earphones' vs 'headphones... :)

4044155245066-1-pdpxl.jpeg

6925281918148-1-full.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...