Greasy Lake Community

03/28/88 Detroit, MI - New Nugs release!

8 hours ago, badlands78 said:

In the earlier years of the Archive Series I had more free time in my life and I would buy the lossless shows, combine them into one massive track, and then re-split them by my own criteria.  Spoken intros etc. would all have their own track.  By the time I was done, an average show would have around 40 track splits.  Very nerdy stuff but it makes for a much more pleasant listening experience for me when I made compilation playlists from multiple shows.

Hats off! Wish I'd done that (bought the lossless) although I'd have to teach myself how to then split them etc - I instead started down the path of always buying the CD's (and still am) and then ripping those to my computer for the purpose of perhaps lifting individual tracks and the splits on ALL the releases are dreadful (as they are on a lot of official live albums by a host of different artists) - there is obviously a very easy to use program that will put the split 1 second before the opening note of a song and that's where it goes!!!...…...regardless of the fact that a spoken intro (to that song) will now instead be the end of the song before! - it's shocking - obviously absolutely NO human involvement whatsoever!!?  I can (sort of) excuse this on some official releases by some acts (although not really...…...why!?) - but - on something like this Nugs stuff, where supposedly someone is working on the show, and with an artist like Springsteen (intros) I think it is absolutely disgusting!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Hats off! Wish I'd done that (bought the lossless) although I'd have to teach myself how to then split them etc - I instead started down the path of always buying the CD's (and still am) and then ripping those to my computer for the purpose of perhaps lifting individual tracks and the splits on ALL the releases are dreadful (as they are on a lot of official live albums by a host of different artists) - there is obviously a very easy to use program that will put the split 1 second before the opening note of a song and that's where it goes!!!...…...regardless of the fact that a spoken intro (to that song) will now instead be the end of the song before! - it's shocking - obviously absolutely NO human involvement whatsoever!!?  I can (sort of) excuse this on some official releases by some acts (although not really...…...why!?) - but - on something like this Nugs stuff, where supposedly someone is working on the show, and with an artist like Springsteen (intros) I think it is absolutely disgusting!  

I use Cool Edit Pro (circa 2002?).  Very tedious but I was a perfectionist at getting the split right at the musical intro or “1 2 3 4” whichever came first.

The split between “Be True” and “Adam” on this show is appalling.

• Like 1

I can understand an auto program of some sort that splits a recording into tracks based on a spike in volume after a quieter passage (I.e. that would leave a spoken intro tagged at the end of a previous song because the split has been applied automatically at the point where the higher volume of music from the next song starting is systemically detected). But track splits where the volume has dropped but then ignores a musical intro to the next song starting... WTF is all I have there...

• Like 1

The splitting of tracks on the Archive series has always been an issue. Some people use software to edit the tracks themselves, but I don't have the time of the inclination. It's a shame because it does spoil the listening pleasure for some tracks; I like All That Heaven Will Allow, but I don't want to hear the 'park bench' story ever again! There's a great version of Growin' Up on one of the BITUSA releases but I won't listen through the bear story to get to it. I'm sure they were reasonable enough on the night, but it doesn't translate to audio only. Surely for whoever does these releases it isn't that difficult to do?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:13 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Ok so I now have no idea which songs I'm supposed to be listening out for nonexistent horns on, because everything seems fine to me when I play the show.

I know I'm an Archive Series fanboi, but I'd honestly love to know what's justifying the horns criticism. 

ive been listening to it today and really loving the drums, Nils' guitar and the synth 

oh and Bruce's voice:wub:

also for that matter Patti's vocals

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 10:30 PM, Bosstralian said:

I can understand an auto program of some sort that splits a recording into tracks based on a spike in volume after a quieter passage (I.e. that would leave a spoken intro tagged at the end of a previous song because the split has been applied automatically at the point where the higher volume of music from the next song starting is systemically detected). But track splits where the volume has dropped but then ignores a musical intro to the next song starting... WTF is all I have there...

my original mp3 of winterland used to really fuck with Detroit medley :angry:

3 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Was that the one where Detroit Medley was split into several tracks?

yes

sometimes when i hear other versions im still waiting for the gaps:lol:

but so so ugly :angry:

naturally it was beyound me to fix it

In terms of the 1988 releases, MSG sounds the most warm to my ears. I would say Detroit follows, although I do agree with those who feel the horns are a little quiet, with Los Angeles a distant third. From the Euro leg, Stockholm is very good, but a little harsh sound wise in comparison, although song for song the performances are just so much more intense. I also agree that the original Stockholm broadcast is still better (I realise all these terms are subjective, and I'm no audiophile), although of course the second set is vastly superior to the audience recording. If you were looking for one release from the US leg for me it would MSG, of course there's subtleties to all the releases that make them all worthwhile in one way or another.

• Like 1

I was almost certainly going to purchase this one as it was so close to the 2 shows (that followed this stop on the tour) that I attended on Long Island - but some of the negativity on here (horns etc) has me pondering now whether this will wait until the "sale" at the end of the year!? (given that I do have other TOL releases already if wanting to hear a show!).  Is it that bad guys!?   

1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

I was almost certainly going to purchase this one as it was so close to the 2 shows (that followed this stop on the tour) that I attended on Long Island - but some of the negativity on here (horns etc) has me pondering now whether this will wait until the "sale" at the end of the year!? (given that I do have other TOL releases already if wanting to hear a show!).  Is it that bad guys!?   

No, it's not that bad and you should absolutely get it. Solid early tour show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I've already posted it earlier in the thread, and at the end of the day it is just 2000 words of fanboy thoughts, but it might be helpful

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/03/07/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-march-28th-1988-detroit-mi/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've already posted it earlier in the thread, and at the end of the day it is just 2000 words of fanboy thoughts, but it might be helpful

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/03/07/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-march-28th-1988-detroit-mi/

3 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

No, it's not that bad and you should absolutely get it. Solid early tour show.

Thanks! You've sold it!!!, I'm back on board and this will be SO close to what I heard at Nassau Coliseum for 2 nights just days later that it will be a fine momento on top of everything else (I have always said those early arena shows were SO different to what we then heard in Europe where I attended 2 x Villa Park, Wembley, Dublin and 2 x Sheffield, and it's interesting to read that they also appear to be different to later arena shows as well, as I thought it was just arena vs stadium that made them different!). I can remember just standing inside Nassau Coliseum first night, before the lights went down, (my first ever US arena show), looking around and thinking "this is where that New Years Eve show took place" - that I had on bootleg cassette!  Off to place my order - faith restored - thanks both!

• Like 4

I love this release. The setlist works really well with the TOL tracks interspersed with the other songs, and the general pacing of the show. Bruce sounds great and it's the best I've heard Patti - particulary on 'Tougher' (with yes the horns!) which is a fantastic version. Also the way 'Ain't Got You' morphs into 'She's The One', throw in the versions of 'Brilliant Disguise', 'BITUSA', 'Reason To Believe' and the long awaited 'Walk Like A Man'  - constant listening for me since it's release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

11 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

There's a great version of Growin' Up on one of the BITUSA releases but I won't listen through the bear story to get to it. I'm sure they were reasonable enough on the night, but it doesn't translate to audio only.

No, the bear story was stupid at the time. I saw it live and was kind of embarrassed for him. Years later I remember wondering if it really happened or was it some kind of twisted, imagined memory. I've never listened to a tape of it but I've heard it referenced so I know it really happened.  You can't hit a home run every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BruceWho said:

The sound quality is as good as the best of the Archives. The horns are mixed a little quietly for me, but it is a very minor criticism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

After years of waiting, it's done in just four and a half minutes. And you could say a chapter of the Archive Series has ended too, leaving us to ponder what's next now that a long running desire in the project has been granted. 

That being said...

@nugs, bring me "Frankie". 

Thanks @nugs

Now seeing as I've randomly started singing this one just now, bring me "Up on the Roof". 

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Now seeing as I've randomly started singing this one just now, bring me "Up on the Roof". 

Just a thought.

There are only 7 known performances of Up On The Roof. The most famous of those, Bottom Line 16 August 1975 (early show), I've heard so often (even tonight, as a 'bonus track' on Runaway American Dreams, a bootleg of Bottom Line 14 August 1975 (early show)), including the audience noise -with even someone -I think-putting a glass on a table (or a glass falling on the floor?)-, that a 'clean', official recording of Up On The Roof without all that background noise from the audience maybe, or probably, would sound very strange and unnatural.

But. We need more 1975 shows in the Archive Series. Bottom Line, Greenvale 12 December 1975 or even something never heard before, a 1975 show with no known audio.

• Like 2