Greasy Lake Community

Gypsy Biker

8 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I never knew if the white lines were the lines you see painted on the highway or lines of cocaine

Neil Young has a song titled White Line and it's about being on the road but I always wondered about the double meaning also. But Neil used to do coke and I don't think Bruce did.

• Like 1

I love this song, it could possibly be one of my favourite Springsteen songs actually. I love the actual music and the way the band plays. It sounds like a train struggling to stay balanced on a rickety old track going across an unstable bridge. It's like the band could fall apart at any moment and you don't know if they'll even make it to the end of the song before it all collapses. 

Dig the lyrics and vocal delivery too.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Not a bad tune but it’s up against some serious competition on that album. I’d rank it as “very good” but short of “great”. 

I’d put it at #2 on the album behind Girl in Their Summer Clothes. A fantastic song.

There's so much captured in this song, it's so intensed, with several parallel stories going on. 

My fav moment song vise is 'as she lit up the ravine'. 

Lyrical peak has to be: To the dead, well it don't matter much 'bout who's wrong or right.

The live versions of this on the Nugs releases so far are phenomenal.

I don't mind the album original, but for me it is the one song which really suffers the most from the production on Magic. It hints at greatness on the album but for me only truly achieves it live.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Funny, in the last couple of days I listened to WB and Magic albums as a whole in what may have been a few years. I’ve always like both of them, but I was astonished at how good they actually are. Gypsy Biker is indeed a great track.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I never knew if the white lines were the lines you see painted on the highway or lines of cocaine

I've always firmly believed it's the white lines passing by as he rides. He's a biker, he's lost a brother. He's out riding. And he's getting stoned, but people who use coke don't refer to the cocaine high as being stoned.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, badlands78 said:

It could be white lines on an American football pitch.  There was a pro American footballer who gave up to go and fight in the war and then got killed by his own side.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

The live versions of this on the Nugs releases so far are phenomenal.

I don't mind the album original, but for me it is the one song which really suffers the most from the production on Magic. It hints at greatness on the album but for me only truly achieves it live.

What’s the issue with the production?

On 3/14/2020 at 7:25 PM, Jertucky said:

I’ve grown used to it but I think he’s referring to there being no instrument separation. Everything just sounds all muffled with instruments sounding on top of each other.

• Like 1

I don’t really get the technical stuff. Album sounds great to me. The only Springsteen album I could notice a production problem with is Joad because it’s so damn quiet and you can’t hear any of the instruments.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, badlands78 said:

It's drugs.

Bruce confirmed this in an interview with Jon Pareles of the New York Times sometime around the record's release.

JP asked him directly if the white lines were referring to coke and Bruce replied "yep" or "that's correct", but I'm pretty sure it was the latter. 

This was an audio interview so it may be out there somewhere...

BTW, this has always been one of my favorites from MAGIC.  The sound of Max's hi-hat feels like riding a wave.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:55 AM, Jertucky said:

23 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I’ve grown used to it but I think he’s referring to there being no instrument separation. Everything just sounds all muffled with instruments sounding on top of each other.

Yes, I don't have as huge an issue with the production of the album as some others do but for me the muffled sludgy sound does detract a bit from Gypsy Biker. The vocals are buried and the guitars don't bite and soar like the song demands. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:38 AM, Wout said:

Radio nowhere, your own worst enemy, gypsy biker, magic, last to die, long walk home

are my favs of this album. Can’t decide an order tho. 

I'll second this. Though it is such a balanced album, picking favourites is not an easy task. Love this album from start to finish.

• Like 2